The official WRX VS The Curb thread - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The official WRX VS The Curb thread within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; that should answer your question to y it isnt factory painted. i wouldnt paint them at all. my mom has ...

that should answer your question to y it isnt factory painted. i wouldnt paint them at all. my mom has them on her 2003 maxima, and they are all scuff and scratched up from debris hitting them while driving

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That sucks curb rash is the worst. I dont really know wat to do in a situation like that but good lukc to you.

WRX vs Curb....

Yup, got a little too happy when we got 5' of snow here in Kansas. After ripping through the open field of the local HS, I decided to take the fun to a unplowed parking lot.

Thinking that as long as I avoid the lightpoles, my Rex should be "Just Fine". As I set myself up for a tight U-turn to impress a already impressed full car of people, I overlooked how tight the turn was and the rex fishtailed its back end of the drivers rear wheel and slamed against the curb (which was hidden in the snow). I'll get some photos of it soon.

A question for the techies out there: Could I have damaged anything else other than the wheel and tire if I slammed the curb like that? Anything that I should check or look for? Thanks a million! BTW, if anyone has a spare wheel and tire they wanna sale, please contact me Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    Jack it up and look at the suspension. Depending on how hard you hit, you could have bent a whole host of things. Compare all the components to the other side.

I'm no techie, but a couple of weeks ago I made a u-turn with a little excess gusto and burnt the hell out of my tires and wheels. The tires survived, the wheels are scratched and really demolished. After that, my car was driving really badly. The tracking was terrible and there was a terrible whir whir sound. I thought I might have done some real damage. As it turned out, I just needed a severe alignment since my camber was way out of whack. If you have any doubt at all about what to look for, you should seriously take it to your trusted tire/suspension shop or dealer and tell them what happened. It could be all you need is a simple alignment or, worst case scenario, you may have suffered expen$ive suspension damage.

Thanks for your help guys! Sure enough the rex needed alignment. I had the the car checked out at tires plus for $20 versus Subaru who wanted $80 just to look at it.

These WRX are sure tough little cookies...

Hope your car is okay. I does sound almost exactly what it happened to me.

Asian WRX
    Sorry to hear about that, this KC snow had me actin' a damn fool also. After looking at pics of super clean WRXs I am going to wash my car right now!
    "You have to let it all go; fear, doubt, and disbelief. Free...your mind."

You can run, but between my Glock and My WRX- you will only die tired.

2002 Black WRX Sedan RIP 08.24.04
    2005 Black WRX STi 09.14.04

A curb can do a lot of damage. Front wheel curb impacts, even at low speeds, generally cost anywhere from $2K-6K to fix. I do not think the rear is as costly, but I am quite sure a lot of damage could have been done. I would have it checked out professionally, and not just realigned. It might be ok now, but it those parts that have minor damage do not get replaced, they will fail early and cause unnecessary stress on other parts that were not damaged, and cause them to fail early as well.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    A curb can do a lot of damage. Front wheel curb impacts, even at low speeds, generally cost anywhere from $2K-6K to fix.

-joe
    That estimate might be A LITTLE high

I Support ClubWRX
    Last wrx knee I sold (knee=spindle,lower,strut,axle) went for $350. The wheel sold for $75. An Alignment tops cost $75, and labor to instal the parts is only about 2-3 hours. Even if you took it to a rapist auto repair shop it shouldn't cost more than $1000 if you use used parts.

I will show you my bill for $6600 (hit a patch of gravel on pretty bald RE92s and smacked a curb at about 30mph) and have a couple of other guys that I know show you there bills for $2K+ and $4K+. Like I said, the rear is probably less expensive than the front (no steering to deal with), but there is a lot of damage that is done that cannot be seen and will cause premature failure of many components. It is better to be safe than sorry.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    I will show you my bill for $6600 (hit a patch of gravel on pretty bald RE92s and smacked a curb at about 30mph) and have a couple of other guys that I know show you there bills for $2K+ and $4K+. Like I said, the rear is probably less expensive than the front (no steering to deal with), but there is a lot of damage that is done that cannot be seen and will cause premature failure of many components. It is better to be safe than sorry.

-joe
    Thats brutal...who did that to you?

Used parts cut the cost by a 1/3 or maybe even more. I was talking new.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Originally posted by trainrex
    Thats brutal...who did that to you?
    Body shop....but under their recommendation and I agreed, we replaced everything. If we went bare bones, it would have been $3500-4000.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Is that with body damage, or are we just talking suspension?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.