The official WRX VS The Curb thread - Page 15
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

This is a discussion on The official WRX VS The Curb thread within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; [QUOTE=Big Sky WRX]The adj on the front bars is minimal (see if you can find a pic of adj front ...

[QUOTE=Big Sky WRX]The adj on the front bars is minimal (see if you can find a pic of adj front bar)- not going to be a lot of differences between settings. Adj rear makes sense- this where most of the overall handling characteristics are going to be determined./QUOTE]

Big Sky: I was thinking 24 mm adjustable over 22mm adjustable because i would think that the 24 mm would be stiffer.... i am looking for the stiffest possible FSB on a WRX wagon and this seems to be it... kind of makes me wish I went with the other V7 control arms becasue then I can run any FSB I want... Now i am stuck with the smaller wagon sway bars

Out of curiosity - would those V7 arms put me in a weird autox class? If not I can cancel my order and go with them, as its only about $100 more for the set. Is modification fairly straightforward for them?
    2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, #87 STX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    24 I think is the stiffest at the moment for the wagon- Strano is talking about a big bar for the wagon- as is Whiteline.

You can swap front arms in STX IF you aren't using any other camber devices (ie plates/bolts)- as camber is so important- not many are using this option as it would preclude plates.

ESP allows a update/back date and the 06 WRX has the arms oem so it would be allowed in this class (ofcourse the SP classes allow R compounds).

Look at my tutorial- installation is pretty straight forward. You are delaing w/ some high torque pieces so air is nice to have.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I am thinking of trying to get the sedan 27 mm adjustable sway bar to work... I suppose the part number being X3003 = XSF33XXZ.... if anyone can confirm this please let me know... as there is the X3006 = XSR36XXZ which was a redesign to give more clearance around the STI control arms.

I am going to try to do this by mounting the endlinks inboard of the sway bar... i.e. the sway bar mounting up on the outside edges of the endlinks. I really want to do this as the 27 mm in the stiffest position = a 29 mm sway bar, which is just as stiff as the stiffest out there (32 mm hollow strano ~ 29.2 mm solid or so). Seems like it would be an awesome suspension setup if I can get it to fit... If you know of anyone who has done this let me know, as I want to find someone who has done it to an older wagon (bugeye). Over on Nasioc trhoppe did it to a 2005 wagon, so was curious to see if the 02 or 03 would be the same/similar.

Any thoughts?

I Support ClubWRX
    Check w/ Whiteline- it's rumored they are about to (or have) released a "big boy" wagon front bar.

If it works on a 05 it would work on a 02- not saying it works- just saying there is no difference as far as sway bar geometry between 02 and 05.

Also I believe Strano is bulding a big wagon front bar as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    Check w/ Whiteline- it's rumored they are about to (or have) released a "big boy" wagon front bar.

If it works on a 05 it would work on a 02- not saying it works- just saying there is no difference as far as sway bar geometry between 02 and 05.

Also I believe Strano is bulding a big wagon front bar as well.
    yes, well i cant really wait... I know that both companies are planning it, but that takes time, and my car needs to be fixed... of course i could just forgo the sway bar now, and just replace the endlinks, but I wasnt sure - would those heavy duty whiteline endlinks be strong enough to support a bigger bar like a 27 mm bar?

Also, i tried calling whiteline once - thier toll free # is lacking a digit (it's 1-800 followed by only 6 digits).... you know how to get a hold of them?

BUMP

I would really like to know if someone has fit a 27 mm front sedan sway to a wagon....

had my friend measure the width of his whiteline 27 mm on his STI...

he measured 42.25" +/- .25"

I measured my OEM wagon bar and it was 41.25" +/- .25"

That means if I mount the endlinks inboard of the sway they will still deflect slightly like this:

/----------------------------\

and if I mount the endlinks outboard of the sway bar (like OEM style) they will deflect also, like this (to accomodate the inch bigger sway bar). They will be tilted 1/2" to the outside, at the top.

\----------------------------/

Of course this is all assuming that the thickness of the endlink is the same as stock, which is 1"... If I could get the endlinks so that they are 1/2" wide then there will be no deflection and the bar would work like stock.

What about the clips that hold the bar in (the little padded U brackets)? They probably have a 20 mm diameter... do you have to scrape out some of that rubber to fit the 27 mm bar in them?

Any thoughts as to the operation of the sway bar is appreciated, I would like to know if the bar would still perform OK if it is deflected as shown above.

I Support ClubWRX
    Before laying out the dough- see if you get a sedan sway bar (anyone would do) and try what your talking about. Ideally the sway links are on the outer, but I know the bigger Hotchkis/Cobb bars call for the opposite, so that might not be a big deal either.

The other thing to consider is tht Cusco and many others sell sedan bars as sedan and wagon bars- evidently they don't have a huge concern about it.

well i talked a lot to a whiteline rep and he says the sti 27 mm bar is identical to the wagon bar except for the actual angle of the arm. He suggested the spherical KLC38 endlinks to help fitment issues. he seemed very confident that it would work. That confirms other "rumors" that i had heard about this bar fitting the wagon.

so, i am gonna find out myself. Gonna order tomorrow morning and then see how install goes... hopefully i can return the bar if it doesnt fit, but I am confident that we can get it to fit, one way or another.

UPDATE:

We pulled apart the car and replaced the control arm.... the OEM was bent considerably (put tire 2-3" back in the well. Very good OEM design... I would recommend staying OEM just as I bet if you had anything stiffer your entire steering/suspension would be destroyed when curbed....

Put the car back together, got it up on the highway doing 75, pulls perfectly straight - no wobble in the steering - so it seems to be fine. I am gonna get an allignment anyways just to be safe.

so the car is pretty much fixed... even enterred it in its first (and last) rally-x event yesterday. Didnt do so great on the first track but got the fastest time on the second one (but it was only a few of us who raced the second one). anyhow, i realized for sure that i like autox way more than rally... and I already had that sway bar on order, so that is good. Gonna replace the endlinks and sway bar and get an allignment and then see how she handles.

at least i broke the endlinks so i had an excuse to upgrade

I Support ClubWRX
    Definitely want an alignment when replacing any rear/front links.

If you would have had the car on a rack earlier you would have seen very clearly the arm was bent- the caster would have been way out of spec.

Glad you got it figured out- I know that is a good feeling

Definitely want an alignment when replacing any rear/front links.

If you would have had the car on a rack earlier you would have seen very clearly the arm was bent- the caster would have been way out of spec.

Glad you got it figured out- I know that is a good feeling
    Well I knew the arm was bent after I hit the curb - just wasnt sure if anything else was bent.

Are you saying I need an allignment after doing front OR rear endlinks? I was gonna do front first then wait for the rear... thought that swapping bars and endlinks had no effect on the allignment... if it does I should probably order the rear bar and links now so I can get it all put on and allign it once to save money.

I Support ClubWRX
    sway links no problem, but you need one if you swapped out the bent front arm.

sway links no problem, but you need one if you swapped out the bent front arm.

oh, ok, thats what i thought. up above you said "Definitely want an alignment when replacing any rear/front links." I think you meant control arms.

btw, got any suggestions for a rear bar to compliment my 27 mm whiteline front bar? I've been hearing that I shouldnt go too stiff in the rear, so I was thinknking of going with the whiteline 22 mm adjustable (22-24 mm range). It should be quite a difference from the 17 mm OEM bar. any suggestions on how stiff I want it? I have heard that a super stiff bar will lift a rear tire off the ground when cornering...kind of makes me wonder why whiteline makes the 27 mm adjustable rear if this is a problem.

I Support ClubWRX
    Actually the front "control arm" is a transverse link- the rears lateral links

I think a 22-24 is what you should be looking at- should make for a nice combo.

Wheel lift is usually a problem in very tight turns ie autox, most track applications you don't have those tight of turns.

Actually the front "control arm" is a transverse link- the rears lateral links

I think a 22-24 is what you should be looking at- should make for a nice combo.

Wheel lift is usually a problem in very tight turns ie autox, most track applications you don't have those tight of turns.
    okay, so many links...

i take it i should use the stiffest i can in the front for autox...

what about if I take it to the track? Should i soften up the front a bit?

assuming i get the 22-24mm rear bar, which settings are recommended for street vs. autox vs track?