The official WRX VS The Curb thread - Page 14
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The official WRX VS The Curb thread within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I would take silvewrx,s advice. Another thing you can do if you got access to a lift is put it ...

hub bearing

I would take silvewrx,s advice. Another thing you can do if you got access to a lift is put it on the lift and run it while it's in the air. if you can hear the same noise that you are hearing inside the car as well as outside the car and you have play in the wheel when you wiggle it then you got yourself a bad bearing. Front bearings are pretty easy to do if got the propper equipment to use. You probably already know that they are pressed in. Also instead of just wiggling from side to side try up and down to.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yea i know this thread is old but if you havent fixed yer other headlight you can buff the it as if it was just paint you dont have to use wax. If that doesnt bring it up to par take a little bit of hot watter and soap and put it in the lense shake that crap out of it and then liet it dry. Make sure all the moister is out tho other wise its annoying always seeing the little water spots in yer light
    Tomorrow isn't a guarantee.

[QUOTE=Newks]Yea i know this thread is old but if you havent fixed yer other headlight you can buff the it as if it was just paint you dont have to use wax. If that doesnt bring it up to par take a little bit of hot watter and soap and put it in the lense shake that crap out of it yeah I still haven't done anything with it. It really doesn't bother me anymore. But we sell this stuff at work to buff plastic so I thought I would give it a try...
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

HELP - broken endlink, A arm from hitting curb..

well i was autoxing today... had 6 runs, and the first 5 werent too great... then was doing great on the 6th and flew into a figure 8 going decently good speed, but when coming around one of the turns had a little bit too much in it and understeered into the curb... hit it pretty hard, maybe about 20 mph (??). The rim was mashed up pretty bad, but no visible sign of damage to the tire... then the whole wheel was "bent" so that when the steering wheel was straight, the whole tire sits towards the rear of the wheel well.

Cant really drive it, if I try to turn right it rubs on the fender... but when the steering wheel is straight it pulls to the right.

when i took of the wheel, we noticed that the a-arm was crushed in so as to offset the rim like it is... also the front right endlink for the (stock) swaybar is cracked.

First off, i obviously need a new set of a-arms. should i go stock or is an aftermarket one better? If you could point me in the direction of a site to get a cheap one that would be good, as i need to order ASAP and get the car running again.

My friend with an STI has his read endlinks.. said that they are the same as the front STI endlinks. Would they fit my 02 WRX (wagon)?

I imagine I will also need an allignment... would any shop give me a decent allignment, or should I go somewhere like the dealer (I am in a small town, Socorro, right now, 70 miles away from the nearest dealership). How much does an AWD allignment cost?

Any help would be appreciated, as I am hoping to get the parts in by next weekend to have it all fixed up.
    2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, #87 STX

I would read through the stickies on suspension BIG SKY has a nice write up about wagon suspension since he does AUTOX in his wagon. I remember his thread about the control arms and that there aren't any aftermarket arms for the wagon, they are all for the sedan and they don't fit exactly right because the sedan is a bit wider. He did some modification to the arms to fit on his wagon. I got an alignment at a local shop it doesn't have to be the dealer but just make sure the shop looks like it has new equipment and the right people to do the alignment. Also they all do 4 wheel alignments and its around 60-80 bucks where I live.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You've got a couple of options- source an oem wagon arm (called a front transverse link in suby lingo) new or used.

Run the old school (GC/GF) STi aluminum control arms- these are off the old style STi's (jdm only)- these arms are the same length as the wagon ones- the only thing you have to do (besides carefully reading my tutorial ) is shim the front bushing in the control arm- easy to do. These are hard to come by and subsequently $$$$.

Run v7 sedan aluminum arms- these are sold by the dealer for ~ $300-350 new a pair (complete w/ rear bushing/ball joint and assembled). These run wider (~ 10mm side) than the wagon. This can be a good thing- a wider front track dials out understeer. You need to source a sedan front bar and sedan sway links for this combo.

Run v8 sedan aluminum arms. These are more pricey (these are the ones on the spec c and usdm STi's), but provide almost 1.5 degrees of additional caster over stock- again widen track by 20mm total and need to source sedan sway links and sway bar.

Several guys have done this, w/ no ill reports that I have seen. At first is was thought you would have to swap axles as well, but as turns out the wagons are only minimally shorter than the sedans (not the 10mm you might expect- maybe 1mm IIRC). Might want to research this portion some more- somewhere someone posted the exact measurements of the sedan vs wagon axle.

Sway links are diferrent on the wagon front- w/ oe arms only wagon links will work.

You most definitely need an alignment when done- you want to insure that everything is straight and to insure that nothing else is tweaked.

If you do a search (it was a long time ago) I hit a curbing during autox- killed a Volk TE37 and my control arms as well- this was in my old sedan.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

ok, thanks bigsky.

So I guess any aftermarket endlinks and sway bar should work with those control arms listed above?

If i kept with normal control arms, what aftermarket endlinks or swaybars will work? If you could name a few that work for the wagon (front and rear) that would be helpful.

Here are some pictures of the damage. The guy on the ground is my buddy Sean who was corner working at the corner just a few feet away from when i hit the curb. The whole wheel is pushed back considerably (maybe 2 inches or so?) so that when i turn right it hits the wheel well... kind of hard to see in the pics tho. but you can definitely see that nasty curb rash, it scraped the rim real bad, hopefully it is not bent, but I would imagine it is...

I Support ClubWRX
    If you go sedan arms then any front sedan sway will work- Cusco/Whiteline/Hotchkis to name a few- any front sedan sway link- Whiteline/Kartboy/Poltec to name a few.

If you go w/ a wagon arm- then I'd suggest Whiteline for the front bar if your going to upgrade- they are the only one I know that makes a wagon specific front bar (others list wagon in their application, but it's the same bar). Poltec/Kartboy/Whiteline all make wagon specific sway links.

Rear sway bars are the same sedan and wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    If you go sedan arms then any front sedan sway will work- Cusco/Whiteline/Hotchkis to name a few- any front sedan sway link- Whiteline/Kartboy/Poltec to name a few.

If you go w/ a wagon arm- then I'd suggest Whiteline for the front bar if your going to upgrade- they are the only one I know that makes a wagon specific front bar (others list wagon in their application, but it's the same bar). Poltec/Kartboy/Whiteline all make wagon specific sway links.

Rear sway bars are the same sedan and wagon
    k, thanks so much.

I have been trying to find an OEM contol arm.... but have had no luck so far... anyone know of a good place to find one?

k i found the OEM control arm for $168 (it should be okay to just replace 1, right?)

Now i was looking into sway bar links - found the whitelines here:

http://www.fastwrx.com/whheduendli.html

Could I just use these endlinks in conjunction with the OEM bar for now? The super stiff bars are expensive and might want to hold off until I get the car fixed and have more cash.

As for the endlinks - they have several front ones - the basic and the reinforced... are there any major differences? Also it said nothing about being wagon specific, so wasnt sure.

I found the front sway bar for the wagon here:

http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/c...showprevnext=1

it was a lot cheaper than at fastwrx.. by about $40-$50... is this the adjustable sway i want? The fastwrx site mentioned that it should only be used for competition... is it ok for normal daily driver use?

I was confused because the one on the allsubaru site is blue, but the one on fastwrx is white.... are they the same sway bar?

Do I need any other mounting hardware (like the Whiteline Hard Sway Bar Mount Kit or bushings) for installing a front sway bar)? Or will OEM mounts work fine (for the shear purpose of having it installed?) It looked like at least some of this stuff comes with the sway bar.

sorry for all the questions... just want to make sure i dont forget anything.

I Support ClubWRX
    That's a pretty good price on the arm.

LC30 is the endlinks you want- those should be the wagon heavy duty ones. Yes they can be used w/ the oem bar.

The Whiteline say bars used to be a light blue (some vendors haven't changed their pics)- the new ones are slivery/grey.

I'd go the "regular" 22mm front bar. I'd go to Whiteline.com and confirm all the part #'s and insure your getting exactly what you need.

You won't need any additional mounts for the 22mm bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    That's a pretty good price on the arm.

LC30 is the endlinks you want- those should be the wagon heavy duty ones. Yes they can be used w/ the oem bar.

The Whiteline say bars used to be a light blue (some vendors haven't changed their pics)- the new ones are slivery/grey.

I'd go the "regular" 22mm front bar. I'd go to Whiteline.com and confirm all the part #'s and insure your getting exactly what you need.

You won't need any additional mounts for the 22mm bar.
    by regular you mean non adjustable? Wouldnt the adjustable front/rear be optimal? i always thought the stiffest setting in the front is best for turn in when autoxing.

Also, do you mean "KLC30"? I see that here (scroll down a ways)

http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/subaru_corner.html

no one seems to have wagon endlinks... they are very bad about not saying what the application is for.... are the sedan front endlinks just like the rears (kind of look like an open trapezoid instead of a straight rod like the wagons? If so it will be easier to find the right parts.
    Last edited by dark_vandal; 04-11-2006 at 09:06 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    The adj on the front bars is minimal (see if you can find a pic of adj front bar)- not going to be a lot of differences between settings. Adj rear makes sense- this where most of the overall handling characteristics are going to be determined.

Yes KLC30

The oem sedan fron links are steeel pillowball ones- the whiteline substitues look very similar to the wagon ones- you need to insure you get the right one. Ours have to fit in the bracket on the lower control arm- the sedan ones just bolt to a "tab"

who were you running with?

why were curbs so close to the course?

that sucks to see happen.
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

Quote Originally Posted by gusto
    who were you running with?

why were curbs so close to the course?

that sucks to see happen.
    my college car club... I set up the event and designed the course too... doh!!! It was in the biggest parking lot on campus, and was really the only place we could hold the event, as it had to be on campus... that lot was the best choice... next time there will be a new design though. We had orinally marked off the curb with cones, but i guess we ran out so they werent where they should have been... nevertheless, it was my own fault, and I am mad that it happened but what can I do now? Next time we will definitely try to redesign a course, its just hard as it is 3 lanes 66 ft. by 315 ft. So you cant do much besides slaloms without staying away from the curbs.