The official WRX VS The Curb thread - Page 13
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The official WRX VS The Curb thread within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Here is the list of parts 1 new wheel lower control arm strut assembely stabilizer rod inner tie rod end ...

Here is the list of parts
    1 new wheel
    lower control arm
    strut assembely
    stabilizer rod
    inner tie rod end
    outter tie rod end
    repaint front bumper cover
    Steering Knuckle
    Wheel Bearing
    repair and repaint front right fender
    then there are some misc. charges
    Last edited by Jje121; 07-10-2006 at 06:55 PM.
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    chances are its going to take more than that, the insurance company will approve a small list first than chances are with all that replaced it wont alighn so it will take more and more parts, failed alighnments, and insurance adjusters, my wheel didn't look quite as bad as yours but ended up costing ALOT more, it failed alighnment three times so more and more parts were thrown it to make it work, chances are you will neeck a steering rack, otherwise your steering wheel will shake at highspeeds,

I got my car back today I am very pleased with the work the shop did. Yes it did take longer than they said it would but why have them rush. The only thing that sucks is I have one new head light and the other one is faded and cloudy along with the two fog lights. Do you guys know any tricks on cleaning them up a little bit? Thanks for all of your help...

Edit: Final cost $3400 and change..
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)

Unhappy Hit the CURB!!!

I hit the curb a few days ago after avoiding another car. I hit it at under 10mph. The rim wasn't bent just curbed. I had to replace the front left lower control arm since it was bent. Now I am hearing a sound that is similar to that of a car running on a flat tire but a very mild version of it. Some sources say that I need to have new hub bearings put in. If you guys agree with this verdict, any idea on how much new hub bearings cost? Will running on the current state of the hub bearing be harmful to the car?

Also, I noticed today that my left foglight(same side I hit the curb on) is not working. You guys think its from the shock when I hit the curb? Also, if it was from the shock is this kind of thing easily fixed?

Yes i would definitely recommend replacing the hub, in fact if you brought it to a suby dealer it's hard to imagine they didn't replace the hub/bearing, knuckle, control arm, and possibly the tie rod. It is rather standard to replace the bearing when you are in there, as it is a wear item. The only reason i could see they wouldn't is if it wasn't covered under insurance, and it would lower the cost of the bill considerably. as for the light, it's either shocked and damaged, or a wire was jostled loose, check into that.
    New England F4
    If you're not shifting, you're just riding.

I totalled my WRX

Thanks!!! Will look into it. Also, did not go through insurance. Don't like my premiums going up. I had some other ideas submitted... Some say the wheel may be bent, tire wear from the rubbing on the mudflaps.

Did the same think but they replaced the knuckle and the hub and bearings
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    What were your alignment #'s after the arm swap? There are many things that could be tweaked from a hit like that- when it's an insurance job the shops tend to replace "everything"- this way they don't have to replace a piece- align it- find it's not up to snuff, replace another piece- align etc

Also consider that your wheel may be hosed- they can easily get out of round w/ a curbing- a Hunter Road Force machine could let you know if that was the case.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    Also consider that your wheel may be hosed- they can easily get out of round w/ a curbing- a Hunter Road Force machine could let you know if that was the case.
    I also got a new wheel. Mine was an insurance job so like you said they pretty much replaced everything on the right side of my car. My final bill was like $3800
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)

Crap... I did my control arm outside of insurance. I am wondering if I should put the bent control arm back and then have the insurance company handle it.

Ouch, that sucks balls. I got a little curb rash on my Legacy wheel today, I wasn't happy
    <--- Robert

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Depending if there is anything else tweaked it mihgt no be bad idea.

You could have the wheel looked at (or swap in a buddies and see if that cures it)- you could also get a alignment- those numbers might reveal that there is more damage.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Okay. Rotated my front wheels to the back and I am still getting that flat tire sound but a mild version of it. So you guys think it is the hub bearing?

If you grab the wheel (not the steering wheel) at 180 degrees apart (12 and 6 o'clock, or 9 and 3) and attempt to shake it you can check the bearing. If you can feel the wheel wiggle or move at all then the bearing is most likely shot. Also you need to jack it up first, and preferably have the brakes on and steering wheel locked, but i figured that was a given.
    New England F4
    If you're not shifting, you're just riding.

I totalled my WRX

Okay. Will check that when I get a chance to jack it up or put it up on a lift.
    Is running my car on the possibly bad hub bearings be harmful to the car?