Looking to buy new 2004 WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Looking to buy new 2004 WRX within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm looking to get a new 2004 WRX Sedan. But I was intending to use it on bad rural roads ...

Looking to buy new 2004 WRX

I'm looking to get a new 2004 WRX Sedan.

But I was intending to use it on bad rural roads (possibly running into unplowed roads, mud, etc) and I'm trying to decide whether a Ford F-350 Super Duty 4x4 or the WRX would be the better deal.

I was thinking of getting:
    the 4EAT, sedan color keyed rear spoiler, interior air filter, and that's it.

Are the other options/packages mandatory? I'm not going to rice out the WRX, or add hp-less mods (decals, larger wings, bling bling rimz, etc) I just need something that looks cheap and is great to use on bad roads. Yes I know i'll have to ditch the stock RE92s for something more aggressive.

How would the WRX fair in rough areas? I primarily want something that can handle most bad roads, but having something that gets 20+ mpg and be easy to park is a BIG BIG plus.

Will it break down in a few thousand miles of rough use? Am I looking at snapped half shafts and constant replacements for the CV joints?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oh yeah I forgot to add:

I've never owned a non-US made vehicle. Will the WRX rust out in a few years like the older Subarus?

The STi looks fantastic but I don't know how to drive stick (never had the opportunity, no one I knew had a stick when I was learning, and there's not much motivation for me to learn). Waits for ppl to start laughing. There's not much motivation because all the auto trannies I've used/had are very solid (Ford AOD, 4R70W, C6, etc...) are out last most of the Mustang manual transmissions.

What bolt-on performance improvement modifications are there for the WRX? Air intake, exhaust, chip for better 4EAT shifting, longevity, etc?

I think the WRX would suit your needs fine (still confused about the looks cheap comment ). Definetly don't rule out the manual though, it can be a lot of fun and you can be driving like a champ in a week or two.

If you do get the auto you can get a high-stall torque converter for better launches. I don't see the WRX rusting out, had mine for a year now and she still shines up great when i wash her.

Also, this is in the wrong forum

Shard: Well, you live in Houston, TX I don't think there's a lot of salt there during the winter?

As for the looks cheap comment - I meant I wanted a plain jane WRX, nothing flashy or fancy that would attract the attention of thieves. No super huge wings or bling bling wheels, decals, super high power audio systems, etc...

Is there a better forum for this kind of topic?

ahh under stood.

nope, no salt here.

This would probably do best in "Everyday Impreza Talk"

Hey Metroplex -

Don't I know you from the Crown Vic board?

Me: http://moojohn.com/stealth/mercury
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Anyway, more to your question, I think the Subaru would do what you're looking for. You're not looking to go rock climbing but want to be able to handle yourself in mud or snow, ruts, etc.

With the right tires she'll do what you're looking for. The AWD system is stronger than the Mitsubishi system, having a true transfer case with two driveshafts rather than an adapted FWD setup.

You can make a big improvement in power for relatively cheap, by freeing up the intake, exhaust (depending on emissions inspections in your area), and a manual boost controller (try http://proboostmbc.com - $20). These mods are quick, cheap, and effective. Flowmaster now has an American Thunder tasteful-looking cat-back for $220, though I can't verify its sound qualities.

And no, I don't have a WRX myself but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Ok, couldn't resist that, but I really am a WRX fan

There's plenty of interior room as well as trunk space. The engine layout can be a PITA for some things (plugs are harder to reach than other 4 cyls) but the turbo is in easy reach, begging to be upgraded.
    John M
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

John: Yes I am on CVN!

Right now my options are F-350, WRX, or a Jeep Wrangler. I see that I won't really need the F-350, but my primary concern is that the WRX may not be durable enough.

How strong is the AWD system?

It's certainly strong. Look at all the abuse the rally cars take. You won't break anything by just driving on bad roads. If it even resembles a path, the WRX will do fine.

I think your situation will come down to how much ground clearance you think you'll need. Mud & ruts is one thing but if you need 8-10 inches of clearance for true off-roading then you'd probably be better in a truck.

As far as rust goes, starting the mid 90s, all cars get dipped in sealant before being painted so it's not as much of a concern anymore.

Oh, and the new Dodge hemi 4x4 wouldn't be a bad choice either

A Wrangler certainly has no creature comforts - you won't forget you're in a Jeep. It does its job well but you won't want to go anywhere else in it.
    John M

What about the Forester XT Turbo that is going to be released this summer? It has more torque than the WRX.

Oh yeah, I just saw a commercial for that. It looks to be a very nice ride, though it'll be priced a little higher, in the $25-27k range.
    John M

The thing is the WRX doesn't have the rally components in its suspension, its just a plain car.

I don't have plans to go pure off-roading with a WRX, but instead:

mud, lots of mud, gravel roads probably, unplowed rural roads in the winter, etc...

If the Forester is more expensive than the WRX then its prolly out of the picture. My concern with the Wrangler is if I hit an object, it'll tumble over.

The WRX looks a lot more safer.

But how is maintenance for the WRX? and parts availability?

i'll do my best here, but in short, your forum choice was fine.

But I was intending to use it on bad rural roads (possibly running into unplowed roads, mud, etc) and I'm trying to decide whether a Ford F-350 Super Duty 4x4 or the WRX would be the better deal.
    well, the ground clearance is an obvious benefit of the truck. depending on the "ruralness" of these roads, that should be a concern. the WRX is very easily converted to a true dirt car, but if these off roads are more than just small ruts, snow and gravel, like 40" holes, 18" boudlers etc, i would defintely get a truck.

if you are just looking for some funf off road driving, muddy fields, unkept roads etc, you WRX will suit your needs well. it is exceptionally balanced, and had a great differential and AWD system.

depending on the severity of the roads, some quick and easy bolt on mods should be considered.

get the STI suspension kit. (from factory, although it is available in the aftermarket for cheaper see www.subaruwrxparts.com and www.subaruparts.com ) the dampers are stiffer, and will handle the real bumps with more surety. it also includes stronger control arms (aluminum) stabilizer bars and bushings. this will greatly strengthen the front end, while also adding some nice sporty stiffness to the road ride. the stock setup is great for the above average sports car enthusiast, but not suited for extended off road beatings

forget the air filter. waste of money.

I've never owned a non-US made vehicle. Will the WRX rust out in a few years like the older Subarus?
    since 1993, all japanese cars, and most other imports have rust proofing on all body panels. so if by "older subarus" you mean more than a decade old, your answer is "yes".

What bolt-on performance improvement modifications are there for the WRX? Air intake, exhaust, chip for better 4EAT shifting, longevity, etc?
    the WRX is very bolt on friendly. depending on your budget, you can tap into a LOT of power fairly quickly, easily and inexpensively.

your first mods "bang for the buck" wise should be as follows. most on the board will agree on this setup for the typical safe basic perf. upgrades.

1.)catless uppipe. $200
    2.)boost gauge $125
    3.)boost controller $55

all can be installed yourself but the uppipe (unless you're wrench friendly) which can be installed for $200 or so. this will slash spool up time of the blower, add about 30 hp, and a ton more low end response. bolt ons continue on up the line, and can get you all the way up to a new turbo, chip, and about 400 horsepower if your wallet can handle it.

intake will not net you any power unless you have significant more mods. dynos show that the stock system is best until larger horsepower is available. looks/sounds nice under the hood though. *bling* also, don't bother with a cat back. that will net you almost no power unless you have replaced the entire exhaust system before it. it will sound good through *bling* *bling*

maintenance, parts and availability are all as good as you'd expect from a subaru. reasonable to say the least. (imo)

good luck. sounds like the WRX with some minor add ons will more than suit your needs. i already hit dirt roads and snow like you say, and my suspension is totally stock (save for the bling bling wheels! )

dR

Thanks for the response!!

Should I get all of the factory gauge options?
    I couldn't find the STi suspension package listed in the options

What about the spoiler? Is that needed or are there better looking ones aftermarket?

How about maintenance - will I need to head over to a Subaru dealership for all maintenance items (oil, ATF, etc)? That brings me to the question:

what engine oil, gear oil, tranny oil, and coolant does it use?

Definetly don't rule out the manual though, it can be a lot of fun and you can be driving like a champ in a week or two.
    second that

also, how about the differential protector? might need that.

What about the spoiler? Is that needed or are there better looking ones aftermarket?
    the stock spoiler looks kinda goofy when looked at up close. but it actually one of the more attractive spoilers from afar. i think it complements the car just fine. but yes, there are better looking ones in the aftermarket... if the spoilers already on the car, just buy it. its nice.
    <= i plan on abducting her in the wag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.