Fuel light comes on at 1/4 tank....?????

This is a discussion on Fuel light comes on at 1/4 tank....????? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I got in my car the other morning, start it up and notice the fuel light is on. I had ...

Fuel light comes on at 1/4 tank....?????

I got in my car the other morning, start it up and notice the fuel light is on. I had a solid 1/4 tank of gas left, so the light had no business being on. I let the car warm up as usually and just started driving as if nothing was wrong. The light went off about 1-2 minutes into my drive and stayed off.

Any idea what might have happened? I was not parked crooked by any means, and that is the only thing that I could think of that might have caused it.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

not quite the same thing, but at least five times now I've started my car in the morning with the low fuel light on, even though it wasn't on the night before when i shut it off. it usually stays on after that.

never happened with a quarter tank though....that's kinda weird

I know what you are talking about. A lot of times when you are very close to the level that will light the fuel light, it will come on the next time you start the car up, but this, like I said, was with an honest 1/4 tank.

Anybody?

Maybe my car is run by Windows and it was a glitch

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

ive had that happen when you start it and it comes on but it wasnt on the night before.... but at 1/4 a tank
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

I am glad that nobody is helping me on this one

Again, anbody?

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok so I beat you all for weirdness. I started my car this morning with slightly more than a third of a tank, and the low fuel light came on. To be honest, I'd NEVER SEEN the low fuel light since I got the car in October, so I was like 'eh?!' It went out after about a minute or two, and didn't reappear at all. How odd.

2010 SSM STI

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok so I drove about 40 minutes this morning, and then went and filled up, and I put in 9.5 gallons!! What the heck?! Fuel light came on real early! Weirdness!
    2010 SSM STI

it really varies for me to tell u the truth..sometimes at a quarter...sometimes when im real real low i dont know...its not a big enough deal to me to care.

Re: Fuel light comes on at 1/4 tank....?????

Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    Any idea what might have happened? I was not parked crooked by any means, and that is the only thing that I could think of that might have caused it.

-joe
    Gasoline expands with increasing temperatures and contracts with decreasing temperatures. It was likely colder outside when you started your car than when you turned it off.

-Jim

Right, but I had a quarter of a tank at night when I shut it off and I had a quarter of a tank in the morning when I turned it on, and 10 minutes later the fuel light went off and I drove out the rest of my quarter tank until the light came on for real, tanked up 13.9 gallons, exactly 2 gallon short of the 15.9 gallon capacity, just like the light is supposed to tell you.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Just look at it this way....you'd rather it come on too early than too late, right?

Yah, it does sound a little strange but you know what? My girlfriend's BMW has its fuel light on at a little less than 1/4 every time. So if BMW designed theirs that way, it can't be that bad.

Here's a typical conversation:

Her: "OMG!! We gotta get some gas! We're not gonna make it!"

Me: "Uh....it's okay, we still have a 1/4 tank"

Her: "But, but...the fuel lights on!"

maybe when you were comming to a full stop, it was abrupt, causing the 1/4 tank of fuel to churn violently in the fuel tank, and causing the sensor to indicate low fuel right before you turned the iginition off. and when you started her back up, the computer has to make sure that there is enough fuel in there to shut off the warning light.
    03 blue WRX.
    Weeeeee!

Originally posted by swipe112
    Here's a typical conversation:

Her: "OMG!! We gotta get some gas! We're not gonna make it!"

Me: "Uh....it's okay, we still have a 1/4 tank"

Her: "But, but...the fuel lights on!"
    HAHA, I've had that conversation a few times.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

ive had this happen to me on a few occasions, its weird but nothing big.
    "Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain"-DMB

Liquid - "yes sticky! hes a god now!"

02 WRX now JDM V8 STI (too many mods for my own good)