How old are you and How did you afford the WRX? - Page 6

View Poll Results: How old and how did you afford it?

Voters
796. You may not vote on this poll
  • under 20. Parents pays for car & insurance

85 10.68%
  • under 20. You pay for everything. (which bank did you rob?:-)

98 12.31%
  • 20-29. you pay for everything

458 57.54%
  • 30-39

98 12.31%
  • 40+

57 7.16%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on How old are you and How did you afford the WRX? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm 23 and can afford the WRX because I'm an astronaut. JK, I'm actually a software engineer but like the ...

I'm 23 and can afford the WRX because I'm an astronaut.

JK, I'm actually a software engineer but like the astronaut joke because of my addiction to the Upright Citizen's Brigade.

Wife: "We were living in a pretty rough neighborhood."
    Husband: "No offence John, but there were a lot of astronauts."
    John (the astronaut): "None taken."

hahahahahahahah
    Current mods on my 2003 Silver WRX: Autospeed Flex Uppipe, Perrin Downpipe w/cat, TXS UTEC, Goodrich Stainless Steel Brake Lines, TXS HPBC [15.9 PSI]. Valentine One. Tuned by God. Silencer Free.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by ElBartoRex
    so you must make $11 to $13 an hour.
    There is no 3 day a week job for an non professional student that pays that well where I come from (believe me Ive looked). If I may ask, what exactly is it that you do that pays so well for so little time per week??
    Sure I could probably make $11 an hour if I was FULL time and had a few years experience under my belt...but for me thats unrealistic. I have to continue to claim the $24K for a full time college student is a HELL of a lot. I noticed that you didnt mention school or housing in your budget, so I am assuming your parents take care of that. My parents pay for my housing and school too, but they sure arent gonna help me buy a $24,000 car. So, again, I just hope that someday my future consists of statements such as "Dude..its only $24,000".
    I'm 18 in highschool and i am a waiter, i make near 10-15$ an hour waiting tables, its very possible, i work 2-4 days a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Guys, don't get me wrong when I car the car relatively cheap. I don't mean it as an insult to anyone...it's the best car I have right now two, and I'd rather have this $24K car than most other $35K cars. I'm not rich either, not EVEN close....barely scrapin' buy, livin paycheck to paycheck like everyone else.

What I meant by cheap, is that when you drive around the Bay Area, you see BMW 740's, 540's, 3-series, Excalades, Range Rovers, H2's, 911's, Ferrari's, Lambo's etc. ALL AROUND YOU! It starts to eat at your sence of value, till you think that a $24K car isn't that much for a nice car. It seems as if most people here can somehow afford not only 1 car that is 3 times the amount the WRX is, but also turn around an buy a second one for their spouse to drive too. There are A LOT of families here that have over $100K worth of cars in their garage. It starts to make you jealous after awhile because you see these people and it's like a 22 year old driving a Benz SL-500 with no shirt on, hat sideways, and the top dropped, and you think..."HOW???!!!".

For the record, while I did say that the WRX was cheap in comparison, I too probably couldn't afford a $35K or $40K car AT ALL. There is a fine line between being affordable and being too much money.

What I do know, is that if you have 1 car that you REALLY, REALLY like, there is USUALLY some way of getting it if cars are what's important to you.

Hell, when I was 21 or so, I was looking at buying a Lotus Esprit V8 because their bad-ass cars and I COULD have found a way to afford it. Granted, it was an '89, with some miles, and was still $30K for it used. But if I had wanted it, I could have sold my 3000GT, sold my Firebird, put a big down payment on it, and found a finacing company to finance it for a 7year loan or somethin to get the payments down, but I could have done it. I just didn't want to give up what I had to, to do it...does THAT make a car not affordable. NO, had the POTENTIAL to be affordable, but comes down to a matter of what is more important to you....

I figure I'll ALWAYS have at least 1 car payment. So it comes down to how much that payment is... I've talked to some people that have terrible credit and pay $500-600 / month to own a damn Honda Accord 4 cyl!!!! That car to me would be un affordable compared to my $310 WRX payment, even though the WRX actually costs more. It was just that their credit was jacked and they didn't put a down payment on it, and THAT makes a car expensive. I'd call a $100K car 'affordable' *IF* you could actually get it with $300/mo payments.

-Jason
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

I'm 26. I still live at home, but at an expense. I live with my dad. My mother past on (RIP Mom), my sister ran off, and my brother married and got his own house (god bless) so it's just my dad and me. he's not doing too well. I am a son (and a house slave lol) if I ever marry, I would not mind being a 'house dad'. I literally work 2 jobs!
    -Stomp
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

I'm 22 and still live at home. Got my bachelor's last April and scored a good job with the government. I have been modding cars since I was 16. I have a Infiniti G20 show car that I have dumped a ton of hard earned money into (enough to buy a new WRX) and a Jeep Grand Cherokee (slightly modded)as a daily driver. I ordered my '04 a couple of weeks ago and I plan on putting down 1/3 to 1/2 on it and finance it for 2-3 years. For the time being, I will probably just drive the WRX in the summer and mod it in the winter.
    Tuned Perfection Autosports
    2005 Sti Widebody

I'm 30, going on 31. I'm a computer game artist, and started saving up when I was 28 for a new car since my 88 CRX is so darn old. I decided on a WRX because of its power and its AWD. I was going to blow all my savings on it, but after tax and registration, I still didn't have enough, so I had to finance it. Luckily for me, I qualified for the 0% APR, so I put as much money I could and bought the car. Good thing I financed it because I wouldn't have had enough for insurance and accessories for my new toy. I make a decent living but yeah, the WRX is a little more expensive than your Honda Civic. Then again, you get what you pay for and for all the features you get, the WRX is a bargain.

I'm 30 and a stock broker, I do ok. One of the main reasons I got the WRX was because of insurance. I looked at a Cobra and a SS, and the insurance was pretty outrageous (I'm on high risk insurance for another 1 1/2 years)
    2003 Black sedan
    TurboXS UTEC Stage 4 FMIC
    STi 6-Speed with R180 rear end
    APS SR50 turbo, UR 785cc Injectors, Perrin Fuel Rails
    12.5 @ 109
    *7/22/04 - Now with 2.5 Sti engine, still in break in so no times*

19 years old.

I am the CEO of Howard Electronics Inc., also known as CTL International.

almost 18, Paying for entire car, parents paying insurance. Just wish they would let me mod...argh! damn warranty

I'm 27 and a UNIX sysadmin for a large investment bank. Paid for my WRX in one fell swoop.

25, web developer/webmaster--started out as a Java Developer, paying for my car...almost done though.

24, part time undergraduate, full time office lackie at jpmchase. going to finance 04 wrx + insurance obviously. damn i need a second job!

I am 27, in Grad school and work full time. I used some extra money for a $2K downpayment. I make a salary in the mid-30's and the payment is a chunk but doable with no kids, etc.

I'm 23...just picked up my scooby 2 weeks ago. I graduated college....have a good job. First new car.

I was gonna wait a little while longer to get mine but 3.49% for 60 months with 100% financing in my name just clinched the deal for me.

Given that my current position is entirely performance-based, I opted to keep as much of my cash around as possible and finance the whole thing so I've got plenty of cushion if I'm not always making what I'm making now. Of course the only problem is that now I've got a wad of cash and there are so many temptations. I know I should really be saving and not spending 1-2K a month on mods, but it's so hard!

Stephen

i just turned 17 last january and it was a birthday presant (my last car was a 1992 3000GT vr-4) and my parents pay for everything but the mods

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.