How old are you and How did you afford the WRX? - Page 5

View Poll Results: How old and how did you afford it?

Voters
796. You may not vote on this poll
  • under 20. Parents pays for car & insurance

85 10.68%
  • under 20. You pay for everything. (which bank did you rob?:-)

98 12.31%
  • 20-29. you pay for everything

458 57.54%
  • 30-39

98 12.31%
  • 40+

57 7.16%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on How old are you and How did you afford the WRX? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by MaK10 im 21, in school full time, 17 credit hours.... and only work 3 days a week ...

Originally posted by MaK10
    im 21, in school full time, 17 credit hours.... and only work 3 days a week and i have plenty of money to pay the 380 a month payments.. i usually make 500 a month payments anyways :P hehe plus cell and insurance and gas.... i just dont do much else.... but with the school and work, i dont have time to do anything else.... so it all works out, but hey at least i have a hot ride to roll around in on the weekends... and plus, any extra money i need..... one word.... ebay!
    See..you must have one nice job for a part time college student.
    if you work 8 hour shifts 3 days a week thats 24 hours.
    car payment $500
    insurance..maybe $200+ (you're under 25)
    cell phone $40
    gas $60
    random spending money $50 (you gotta eat, right?)
    thats total of $850/96hrs a month
    thats $8.85 you make an hour with out tax..so you must make $11 to $13 an hour.
    There is no 3 day a week job for an non professional student that pays that well where I come from (believe me Ive looked). If I may ask, what exactly is it that you do that pays so well for so little time per week??
    Sure I could probably make $11 an hour if I was FULL time and had a few years experience under my belt...but for me thats unrealistic. I have to continue to claim the $24K for a full time college student is a HELL of a lot. I noticed that you didnt mention school or housing in your budget, so I am assuming your parents take care of that. My parents pay for my housing and school too, but they sure arent gonna help me buy a $24,000 car. So, again, I just hope that someday my future consists of statements such as "Dude..its only $24,000".

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You need a different line of work. My internship when I was in school payed $12/hour.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by jmussetter
    Anyway, DUDES, it's only a $24K car!!! I bought my 3000GT for more than I did this car and it was a USED lease return too! Way nicer car inside too.

Unless you have no job, still in school, payin child support and alimony, and have a DUI on your insurance...why would you ASK everyone how they afforded it? I mean, it's not like we're all 18 year olds driving some $70K Viper or somethin'. It's NOT HARD TO AFFORD THIS CAR if you make more than min. wage. HELL, I think even on minimum wage, I could afford my $310/mo car payment.
    I guess its just a matter of perspective....my wife and I make over $100k per year combined....but she drives a Civic and I thought paying $24,000 was damn expensive. Likewise for my buddy....his wife and him must make around $200k but he thinks his WRX is damn expensive, although it is a third car, for him to drive when he's not driving his '92 Toyota work truck. On the other hand, I live in a $300k house, and his house is worth $750k (he only payed $350 and remodeled it!) and neither of us has jack in debt.

Yeah, I'm sure you could make minimum wage and afford a WRX.....maybe....if you lived in a refrigerator box.

I think "oh it's just a cheapo car that anyone can afford" is a pretty strong insult to a lot of our members who are proud of their cars.

Chris
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1993 Honda CBR600F2

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Kanchou
    there's a certain logic flaw with that, which is why i'll try to get a 3 year or shorter finance plan.

the warranty.

if you're in year 4 and something drastic mechanincally malfunctions and renders the car undrivable, you've still comitted to payments. they won't come take the car, they'll take whatever they can to account for the lein value.l The car is just a symbol of the contract/transaction.

it may not be a great risk given the subaru reliability. . .but is it a risk you're willing to take if you're going to be tight on the budget and no back-up car? :/
    Well, I won't touch your reasoning. But I have another point. I always go for the longest term I can, all else being equal (interest, etc.). Then, if I want to pay it off in, say 3 years, I just make the payment as if I'm paying on a 3 year loan, but I have a safety net if things ever get tight financially: I'm not required to pay the high payment and can just fall back to the lower payment if needed.

But then, it's such a cheap car that you could easily afford it with foodstamps, so why worry?

1993 Honda CBR600F2

ouch! 5 yard penalty for rough housing the newbie!

;p

^^^ Word ^^^ (2 up )
    ++++++++++++++++++++

Sedona Red Wagon, Nicely Tinted

Thule Bike RackS

i make $13 an hour.... and i dont even work 8 hour shifts hehe.. i work like 20 hours a week.. well actually i have so many vacation hours built up, it comes out to like 25 hours a week.... every 2 weeks my paychecks are like $550....
    so..

car payment: ~500
    cell phone: ~50
    insurance: 76/mo (i have huge discounts)
    gas: prolly 100/mo or so... not too sure this number
    food: eat at home as much as possible (still live with parents)
    extra spending: depends on what i do.....

so yeah, i got lucky with my job

almost forgot to tell you what i do haha...
    well i got the job when i was 17... and i did start at 8.50 and i was basically jst the bi*($# that did whatever people didnt wanna do, w/computers and graphics stuff.... but now, im a part time imaging technician... which doesnt mean squat.. i basically prep product images for the companies web page, and i do the content on all the products... all 38,000+ of them.... the company is American Hotel Register Company.. they sell everything you'd find in a hotel to all the big chains of hotels.... http://www.americanhotel.com its not exciting work, but they are very good to me considering i have school and stuff..
    Last edited by MaK10; 02-26-2003 at 12:12 PM.

well i'm 20, got a chemical engineering internship to the tune of $27 an hour 20 hours per week. Go engineering if u want $$$ but take a jar of vasoline cause you'll get raped for 4 years

35 years young. Paid 1/2 in cash and paying for the other half over 24 months 0.0% apr.

Luckily I learned young that if you:
    1. never carry *any* credit card debt.
    2. try to live w/in your means.
    3. save, save, save, save!
    ...you can get what you want, when you have it on hand.

Cash is KING!

-tp

27, married with 2 kids.
    we have a mortgage and 2 car payments.
    we have an 02 kia sedona.
    i'm a teacher and she's a cop.
    we make ok money, but we also have bills.
    2003 sonic yellow wrx

How old & how pay?

I'm 50. I sold stock & a '90 BMW 735iL to get mine...Wheee!
    Jim - Northwest Arkansas
    03 WRX, '62 Jag XKE Coupe, '64 MGB, '91 Miata

I'm 18 right now, trying to trick my parents into buying me the hugely reliable, safe, and economical Subaru WRX (the turbo charger is just an unfortunate side-effect ). If that doesn't work out by the end of next year, I'm gonna wait until the military gives me the $25k loan they give all Juniors at the end of their junior year (naval academy). And then, who knows the possibilities? I'll probably save about $6k and dump the rest into a massive downpayment for an STi or something of the like. Until then, I just hope I don't go mad, all this wishful thinking is a killer.

28 yr. old. Spot trading in the Foreign Exchange market. I just thought of some good license plates for that.
    4WRX
    XXXX
    4REX

hehe, too bad I can't get a vanity plate down here.

Im 22 years of age. My parents helped me a lil, but I'll finish the payments within 2 years on my own (.9% is so hot!). I've been working fulltime less than a year. Luckily, the insurance isnt bad, because its under my parents name, ~1200 a year. I still can't believe I got this car!! Calling this car cheap is a total insult, payin 24 grand for a subcompact is not cheap!
    WHooOOSH

~ 555 ~

Originally posted by Raslian
    My grandfather passed away. He always tried to give all his money away to my brother and I, or my mother, for her to buy a car for us. So, we he finally did pass away, my parents thought it the logical thing to use the money for what he had always wanted. I'm 16 years old, and don't follow the stereotype, thank you very much .
    Dang, a WRX at 16? That's awesome man! I drove beaters all my life until I got my WRX. I'm 21 years old, work as a network engineer for a large software company, and bought the WRX completely on my own. I live on my own, pay for everything, parents don't help out with anything, and wouldn't even co-sign. I didn't put much down, and hadn't established a credit history yet, so my payments are high and my interest rate is not great. But hey, I justify it two ways. One, this loan is a good way to build my credit, and after owning the car for a year, I will refinance. The other justification is... I didn't want to buy a car I would just sell in a year, I wanted the AWESOME WRX that I knew I would be happy with for a LONG time.
    --------------------------------------
    AIM: jeffsw1981
    email: jeff_s_w@yahoo.com

2002 WRBlue WRX (Stock)
    Factory installed options:
    Short Throw Shifter
    Premium Sound System
    Turbo Boost Gauge

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.