How old are you and How did you afford the WRX? - Page 31

View Poll Results: How old and how did you afford it?

Voters
796. You may not vote on this poll
  • under 20. Parents pays for car & insurance

85 10.68%
  • under 20. You pay for everything. (which bank did you rob?:-)

98 12.31%
  • 20-29. you pay for everything

458 57.54%
  • 30-39

98 12.31%
  • 40+

57 7.16%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132 LastLast

This is a discussion on How old are you and How did you afford the WRX? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX I've been a happy Alpine customer since the 1980's; my experience has been great sound and ...

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I've been a happy Alpine customer since the 1980's; my experience has been great sound and consistent quality. I can buy the HU and know that I'll give no thought to replacing it for many years. My DD Alpine touchscreen HU in the wagon is now somewhat out-of-date, (purchased on eBay in 2007 as a "last year's model"), but works and looks like new. Hook up the iPod and I'm all set.
    I've had multiple Alpine units as well as Pioneer units. I will always support both.

I've had an Alpine unit since my old BMW from back in 2002...that H/U just will not die, and provides great sound quality.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I really really like Alpines. I just don't feel like paying for each individual feature anymore. Sigh. The head unit debate is always a tough one. Alpines (personally) always are easier to use and have a smoother user interface. I feel they have always had a 'cleaner' sound as well. Not saying that Pioneers have a bad sound, but I feel that Pioneer 'saturates' or 'over processes' their sound.

Its similar to TVs in my experience. Some people like their TVs very saturated, but I like them just perfectly calibrated. In a TV store, our 720 panasonic would look dull, but in a living room, it's probably my favorite display I have seen. I don't need my TV online, but I do like to be able to hook everything up to it easily.

Agh, I need to go play with the two of them. That is always the deal breaker for me. One is just so much easier to use normally... and I have a feeling it will be the more expensive Alpine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    I really really like Alpines. I just don't feel like paying for each individual feature anymore. Sigh. The head unit debate is always a tough one. Alpines (personally) always are easier to use and have a smoother user interface. I feel they have always had a 'cleaner' sound as well. Not saying that Pioneers have a bad sound, but I feel that Pioneer 'saturates' or 'over processes' their sound.

Its similar to TVs in my experience. Some people like their TVs very saturated, but I like them just perfectly calibrated. In a TV store, our 720 panasonic would look dull, but in a living room, it's probably my favorite display I have seen. I don't need my TV online, but I do like to be able to hook everything up to it easily.

Agh, I need to go play with the two of them. That is always the deal breaker for me. One is just so much easier to use normally... and I have a feeling it will be the more expensive Alpine.
    One thing I will take to the grave though, is the simplicity of the Pioneer Nav interface. I prefer that over any Nav system which I have used/played with. I feel like their maps are just much easier to read, less jumbled up and so on.

I wouldn't say that the head unit brand comes into play with sound saturation as much as quality, but that's why most higher end headunits will have good equalizers. It takes me upwards of playing with it for 2 to 3 hours to figure out the exact sound I like.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    One thing I will take to the grave though, is the simplicity of the Pioneer Nav interface. I prefer that over any Nav system which I have used/played with. I feel like their maps are just much easier to read, less jumbled up and so on.

I wouldn't say that the head unit brand comes into play with sound saturation as much as quality, but that's why most higher end headunits will have good equalizers. It takes me upwards of playing with it for 2 to 3 hours to figure out the exact sound I like.
    That is good to hear. I was worried about that. The 3d maps on the newer units make me think that the nav will be more useful. I think I would use navigation more if my phone wasn't on a battery. I just need to play with them and get some cash. Just one of those upgrades that are on hold until I get some performance ones out of the way.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    I've purposely steered away from looking at what Alpine and Pioneer currently offer.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I've purposely steered away from looking at what Alpine and Pioneer currently offer.
    Makes you want to bust out the wallet...the features and quality is only getting better, and for everything included, relatively affordable.

I picked up a Pioneer Avic U310BT for $350 brand new on Amazon for Christmas. Its the bottom of the line Nav unit they offered, but its perfect. Simple interface, and great Detachable Nav unit that is portable like a Garmin or one of those so you can walk with it, take it to friends' cars, or motorcycles or whatever.

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow, took a look at that Avic U310BT...very clean interface.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    ...I just need to not think about head units or car stereo for a few months. I could have a set of bushings and a tune for half the price I'd probably blow on my head unit. Trying to wait until I get to a 'happy medium' with performance stuff first (as if I'm not happy everytime I drive it already).

Darn tempting though.
    2011 STi Build Log

Wow, took a look at that Avic U310BT...very clean interface.
    One minor flaw is that the IPod isn't *completely* seamless with searching, but its enough control for me, and it allows me to access the IPod and control audio from the Ipod itself which many units don't allow.

I've liked it a lot since I put it in. Only other major downfall is I have a very weak FM signal

I Support ClubWRX
    Only other major downfall is I have a very weak FM signal
    I have a feeling the antenna is terrible in the Subarus =/. Such a huge pain to replace though.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    It may be time to rename this thread.
    Honestly, if I was going to upgrade something, I'd do it in my truck. It sees 75% of my commuting, and has no low freqs whatsoever.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Makes you want to bust out the wallet...the features and quality is only getting better, and for everything included, relatively affordable.

I picked up a Pioneer Avic U310BT for $350 brand new on Amazon for Christmas. Its the bottom of the line Nav unit they offered, but its perfect. Simple interface, and great Detachable Nav unit that is portable like a Garmin or one of those so you can walk with it, take it to friends' cars, or motorcycles or whatever.
    I hate you...I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    I have a feeling the antenna is terrible in the Subarus =/. Such a huge pain to replace though.
    Yeah imagine this, Impreza2.0 fully replaced his and explained meticulous steps to do it...with gold 16ga. wire or something similar to that through the headliner and fished it to a fin antenna on his rear roof...I don't have the time or patience to do all that haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I hate you...I want one.
    And it took all of 20 minutes to install too

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    And it took all of 20 minutes to install too
    If it's like 85% of the stuff I get for my vehicles it will sit in my garage for 3 months before it gets installed. I still haven't put on my big MAF.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.