How old are you and How did you afford the WRX? - Page 29

View Poll Results: How old and how did you afford it?

Voters
796. You may not vote on this poll
  • under 20. Parents pays for car & insurance

85 10.68%
  • under 20. You pay for everything. (which bank did you rob?:-)

98 12.31%
  • 20-29. you pay for everything

458 57.54%
  • 30-39

98 12.31%
  • 40+

57 7.16%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

This is a discussion on How old are you and How did you afford the WRX? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by djclue8713 I vote for an "Ask an old fart" thread. Seriously though, there's a lot of good ...

Quote Originally Posted by djclue8713 View Post
    I vote for an "Ask an old fart" thread. Seriously though, there's a lot of good people on here with some wise advice. Hope everyone reading realizes that this is real world stuff from people that have been there. Listen to them!
    Yeah, there's a few of us on here that know a lot about investing and taxes and all that stuff so it's not a bad idea if you young bucks want some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    They missed out on the opportunity to reinvest while in the pit, and then ride the coaster back up. I gave serious thought to moving or even borrowing money to throw into the market in early 2009. It would have changed my retirement path significantly.
    I started day trading about then and have done pretty well. I play with my 401k a lot and have consistently made about 15% per year or better even when the market was bad.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Just bought my STi at 22.

Started teaching swim lessons in middle school. Lifeguarded 6 evenings a week through high school (and the normal 40hr ordeal come summer). Interned every summer through college minus freshment summer. Also lifeguarded freshmen/sophomore year and then was a lab assistant my last year. Still never claim to pay for everything. Parents helped out a lot, even with the majority of my money going into bills and such growing up. Glad it worked out that way. Same idea that making a kid clean his room when young affects work ethic later in life. Don't mind budgetting now that I'm out and on my own.

...Going to start an 'ask an old fart' thread now. I has questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

25 year old analyst for a large chemical company in Houston, TX.

Even though I am still young I believe I can offer at least some advice to college kids or recent graduates looking to buy their first WRX. Even though I was able to afford a new car I waited until I knew I could invest the amount of money I wanted into my 401k, afford housing payments, car note, insurance, etc. as well as putting extra into an IRA each month.

I think people get the "car bug" and end up making sacrifices just to drive a particular vehicle. My advice is to make sure you are able to save the amount you want each month while still being able to afford your WRX. For me, my goal was to be able to put 10 percent toward my 401k. Once I worked up to that and put a little more into my Roth IRA, I purchased my 2011 WRX.

Just make sure you are able to put AT LEAST what your company is willing to match into your 401k (my employer offers 6 percent matching) and go from there. It is much nicer to have an awesome car later and not have to worry about how you are going to pay rent each month than have the car right now and potentially struggle.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^ *gets* it! :applause:

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...

I Support ClubWRX
    My car was dieing, so was then or never. Would have been nice to wait a bit though. I agree.

That being said, as long as you budget correctly, go for it. I don't regret buying mine when i did one bit.

Posted from my phone ... Excuse the grammar.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    My car was dieing, so was then or never. Would have been nice to wait a bit though. I agree.

That being said, as long as you budget correctly, go for it. I don't regret buying mine when i did one bit.

Posted from my phone ... Excuse the grammar.
    Necessity sort of took precednece though. You didn't NEED to get a WRX but you did need a new car. If you could afford it then meh.

I was 26 when I bought my first 2004 STI, 30 when I got my 2008 STI, and 32 when I bought my 2011 STI. I got a job with the power company and could finally afford a sports car and the insurance that goes with it.

19 picking up my 2004 wrx Friday

I was 20 when I got my 02 wrx at the end of June 10 (7-28 is bday for me), I'm 21 now. I paid cold hard cash for mine. Mainly cause the guy before me still owed $7800 for the car and the bank had the title and he was moving to Cali. Sooo the only way to have that car was cold cash and I even underbid the kid before me who said he would get a loan for it. Cash works great oh and I only paid 8400 for mine plus tax and title, but mine also had an almost brand new engine with 8k on it and a 2 and a half yr warrenty on the engine. I call that a steal.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Necessity sort of took precednece though. You didn't NEED to get a WRX but you did need a new car. If you could afford it then meh.
    True, I didn't need a WRX by any means.

I knew I would be able to afford it long term after about a month or two, but coming right out of school was not ideal. I had a decent sized credit card bill coming (ran out of food money November) and I knew I'd have a bit of lapse until I got paid (they pay monthly with a mid month advance, but missed the cutoff by a day). Had to play some cards correctly and work it out, but glad I did. I would have kicked myself for four years if I had held back because I was a grand short for a down payment.

Speaking of which, my little sister was learning to drive in the van. She told my dad the brakes felt funny. When she pulled over in a school parking lot my dad looked and the brake light was on. Apparently the brake lines blew out in two different places at the same time. I already coasted a caddy deville into a safe stop without brakes, luckily nobody was hurt. Knew that car was out to get me.
    2011 STi Build Log

I was 24 when I got my rex and now I'm 25... I was finally able to get one after paying off my car loans and after I got married my insurance dropped A LOT, so now I have it...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I'm 31 now. No way could I have afforded this car when I was 20. Worked really hard to get this.
    I live in Ontario and the gas prices here are insane.
    It costs me anywhere between $70 - $80 to fill it up. That alone is a huge difference from my 07 Legacy that I just trade in for my 11' WRX. I love this car tho and it's worth every
    Penny.

Quote Originally Posted by sjcurtis View Post
    I was 26 when I bought my first 2004 STI, 30 when I got my 2008 STI, and 32 when I bought my 2011 STI. I got a job with the power company and could finally afford a sports car and the insurance that goes with it.
    Damn! I'm jealous. I bought my '07 WRX Limited back in May 2007 when I was 21 years old (would have been 22 years old in August '07). And I still currently have her.. lol :/

I am 44 and this is my 2nd Subaru. My first was a 2004 WRBP WRX and kept it until I sold it to buy a 2008 OBP STi in July of 2009.

I Support ClubWRX
    I am turing 30 years young and my 05 WRX is my 4th Subaru.
    I bought my 2nd WRX when I was 26 I traded in my used 02 WRX wagon for the new 05 WRX wagon in May 2006.

My 05 WRX was at the Subaru Dealer for a year and once the 06 WRX came out my 05 WRX was priced very nice.
    If I didn't get such I good deal on the car I don't think I would've of been able to afford my WRX and the insurance.
    Last edited by Chibi WRX; 04-21-2011 at 08:30 PM.
    2005 SPT WRX Wagon
    "Watch out boys, because girls love mods on a WRX too!"
    Blobeye Syndicate Member #009

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.