clunking noise
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on clunking noise within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Does anyone ever hear hear a weird clunking noise coming from the back/trunk area when they are driving? Usually when ...

Question clunking noise

Does anyone ever hear hear a weird clunking noise coming from the back/trunk area when they are driving? Usually when turning or when going over speed bumps... It's similar to the sound of something bouncing around in the trunk.. but there's nothing in my trunk... i checked and tightened the jack and the spare tire too....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Make sure your tool bag is secure, thats what was making the noise in a lot of peoples cars.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

i already tried that... i moved my tool bag into my glove compartment and it still makes that noise

Mine makes the same noise but I haven't had a chance to bear the freezing wind chills yet to check it out. I'm going to start with the tool bag and spare though but it sounds different than a tool bag moving.
    It's not a damn beanbag!

Re: clunking noise

Originally posted by IJust8Chris
    Does anyone ever hear hear a weird clunking noise coming from the back/trunk area when they are driving? Usually when turning or when going over speed bumps... It's similar to the sound of something bouncing around in the trunk.. but there's nothing in my trunk... i checked and tightened the jack and the spare tire too....
    do you have any rear suspension mods? post them if you do...
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

I hear it in my wagon and it drives me crazy.
    I have checked all the interior parts, checked struts for tightness, looked under my car for hours.
    Someone has suggested it may be the exhaust bumping something.
    I havent been able to reproduce the exhaust.
    I have rode in the back cargo area around my house and couldnt pinpoint it.

i also hear it when i hit a big bump of some sort going at a decent speed. i figured it was just the tool bag and i haven't bothered to move it yet.

Mine happens when going slow, almost like the chassis twisting or something. On occasion i can be sitting at a light on a hill still and it will just clunk. Wierd.

I have it also. part it of WAS the tool bag but I have gone as far as removing the spare and jack and still get it. seems to come from passenger side rear but I also cant find anything obvious causing it. I was thinking maybe it was something to do with bolts in sway bar ends and where they go through the endlinks..perhaps it isnt a perfect fit and there is a little play there that manifests as a clunk type noise. I only get it when my passenger side rear tire goes over a bump at some speed. hvae not had a chance yet to realy look at sway bar endlink/bolt/bushing to see if that may be the case. are any of the rest of you guys using aftermarket rear sway bar or other non stock susp part back there???
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

I Support ClubWRX

One source of noise

Under the carpet in the boot there is a piece of cardboard covering the spare. I velcroed mine to the floorboard and things got quieter. May not be *the* problem but it was a source of noise for me. No more noise now.

WRX
    I thought about it being the struts at first, but someone said they had checked it. You should let your friend g/f ride in the trunk to see where the noise is coming from!
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

I have it, too. Turning up the CD player seems to work.
    2002 WRX Sedan - 2000 Mazda Miata
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

Another 03 with it here.

Im gonna find it!

Shotgun

It helps to have a passenger sit in the back center and listen for the noises while you drive. It's also safer

I believe it's the rear passenger seatbelts slapping against the plastic side molding. If you adjust the seatbelt height (higher is better, it tends to pull them up and away from the side) you can mostly eliminate the noise, but it will still happen when you go over a hard enough bump. And if someone readjusts the seatbelt height it's back to square 1.

Another source could be the rear center seatbelt popped outta the retaining clip on the side in the back and is swinging free.

Then there's always all the fun stuff in the rear cargo compartments, jack, tools, etc.

Registered User Oo DaRk StAr oO's Avatar
    I have it too on an 03' from what I have heard its the rear differential thats making he noise. I got it when I shifted. I have changed my shifting habit and the clunking is gone. Do a search for Clunking... Some great advice was given to me by some senior members.
    BRS Autodesign | Sportmax Racing | Falken Tyres | Seibon | C2 Power
    http://www.socalspyders.com/gallery/files/1/sig.jpg
    2001 Toyota MR2-S | So Cal Spyders | Car Domain Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast