Subaru WRX Forum banner

Insurance for WRX's and STI's

390K views 1K replies 494 participants last post by  SD_GR 
#1 ·
insurance rates: wrx=STi??

I just went through a progressive insurance rate quote online, and the price was actually 10 dollars more a month to insure a WRX!!! Maybe since more younger, inexperienced drivers buy and wreck WRX's that compensates for the power difference that I thought would make the STi cost a lot more to insure??? Either way, very interesting. BTW I am a 25 year old male living in CT with a clean record and the quotes were both about 250 a month.

#534 ·
im at @110 a month on a new 09 wrx and a 2004 durango 5.7 and homeowners insure also... with 500 deductable.

about to switch to geico which will be 105 a month for all the same and they also tac on a full covarage warranty 60K 7 years on the wrx.

26, clean record... wife is 24 with 1 ticket.

#535 ·
Insurance?

Hey well I'm looking for insurance on a 05 WRX, and I have a previous fault I guess you would say. It was following too closely, but besides that, I can't find insurance cheaper than $400. And honestly, thats just ridiculous. I'm 20 so I guess that plays a part in it also... But still.

The point: Cheap insurance Agency any one knows of? And who do you use? And if you mind how much do you pay? I'm sorry if thats too personal but I'm trying to compare.

:thumbdown

#536 ·
It doesn't matter who we use or what we pay. It's going to be unique for you. You just need to keep shopping around; get an online quote from every company that offers them. Also, your post makes no mention of coverage limits, which will play a big role in your premium.

You are 20 years old, have an at fault accident and drive one of the most expensive cars to insure; it's gonna be expensive, sorry.

#539 ·
Key is to go to a reputable general Ins agency. Don't go to just state farm or progressive for example. My INS company deals with all INS companies and does a search of them all to get me the best rate. Im 31 and have a '09 Sti and they said they were quoted $650 to almost $2000 every 6 months. You have to shop around!!!!!! It can vary that much!!! Im with Allied INS now.

#540 ·
Oh yeah...my 05 STI I picked up a month ago...

$97 a month for full coverage through Progressive. I love being me :cool:

#542 · (Edited)
For full coverage just on my 09 WRX at 23 years old was $120 a month.

Having both my WRX and GSX insured dropped mine down to $60.

Thats with liability on the Regal and the same full coverage on the WRX.

Buy a cheap 2nd car and it will pay for itself with lower insurance costs.

Edit - and thats with two, five over speeding tickets and a careless driving ticket. (Cops dont like it when you wheelie your bike) The careless may be gone now because I was 18 at the time.

#544 ·
so it looks like I'm going to be paying insurance about equal to the price of another car every year?

going to get a wrx soon, prolly 02 (maybe up to 04 - not sti), as a 17 year old.

My parents are (thankfully) paying to add me as a driver on their policy, but not to add my car or anything.

#549 ·
I also do the insurance agent/broker thing. Bought the 2010 WRX 2 weeks ago, first car under my name, therefor first policy in my name, I'm 23 with a few tickets on my license (nothign major/no speeding) and the agent got my 800 for 6 months. The insurance broker is also a big convienience they take care of EVERYTHING!

just my 2 cents

-Kurt

#551 ·
Insurance quotes

Ok,so I'm gonna pick up the new car tomorrow but my relief/excitement/joy was replaced by a headache when I saw how much it cost to insure the car.
My wife & I have a clean driving record(no violations,accidents)are both above the age of 30,both have finished Defensive driver courses.Still the quote for the wrx was $753 for 6 months(125/month).Is everyone getting these rates?I ask bcoz our other car(honda CRV) costs just $450 to insure(75/month).

#552 ·
There is a thread on insurance rates on the site somewhere. I'm sure someone will post it up. But I asked this question too, best thing is to just start calling around to the agencies in your area.

Someone livin in Northern Maine could be payin 70 bucks a month and that same person could end up at 150 or more in somewhere like New Jersey or an area with high theft...

#553 ·
That's sad. My 2010 WRX costs me about $55/mo. to insure with only a $250 deductible. If I'd raise the deduct. I could lower that cost quite a bit. Of course, I live in the middle of nowhere North Dakota. :rotfl:

Seriously, though, I'd shop around. I think you can find insurance for less. What is your deductible? What are you liability limits? These things can have significant impact on your overall cost.

Others will come along with good info, I'm sure.

#554 ·
Comprehensive & Collision deductible is $1000,but then again,that could be right ,location is key.I shopped around and the other rates were preposterous,in $1000+ range for the wrx,so decided to stick with my insurance company with whom I have been for 3 years now.

#556 ·
rage-wrx said:
I shopped around and the other rates were preposterous,in $1000+ range for the wrx
Preposterous is when an insurance company quotes you over $6000/year when you have a clean driving record :rolleyes:

#557 ·
+1

Me and my wife pay $150 a month for both of our cars... I'm 25 and she is 28, we each have 1 violation a piece... I have an 06 wrx and she has an 04 montero sport with homeowner's, multiple car, and life insurance discounts... we live in sl, ut.... my portion is $80 a month, so I just turned 25 so ill se if it goes down from there...

#558 ·
I'll trade if you want. I just renewed my insurance for $17k this year with a $2k deductible..... I don't know what reasonable means any more.

#563 ·
Can we trade car payments too? :)

#562 ·
I live in the Portland area, I'm 22, married, and have a clean record with no accidents. I pay about $90 a month for my $500 deductible with Allstate. I'm happy with that...

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

#566 ·
teflon_jones said:
Can we trade car payments too? :)
As long as the cars stay in your name, so that when I can't pay, it doesn't destroy my credit.

armindk said:
a brand new rex ... quote you $2000 a month for full coverage
There was a mistake somewhere. $2000/month is the entire cost of the car in a year.

#572 ·
Nope not a typo nor a mistake. The agent was shocked herself when she told me the price. Safe auto gave me a quote for $1500 a month! But the insurance company that I have been for the past three years gave me quote of only a couple hundred bucks per 6 months more than what I pay for my DSM.
There's your problem :rotfl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.