Subaru WRX Forum banner

Insurance for WRX's and STI's

390K views 1K replies 494 participants last post by  SD_GR 
#1 ·
insurance rates: wrx=STi??

I just went through a progressive insurance rate quote online, and the price was actually 10 dollars more a month to insure a WRX!!! Maybe since more younger, inexperienced drivers buy and wreck WRX's that compensates for the power difference that I thought would make the STi cost a lot more to insure??? Either way, very interesting. BTW I am a 25 year old male living in CT with a clean record and the quotes were both about 250 a month.

#2 ·
My father-in-law is an insurance agent so he hooked me up, but right now I'm paying about 1600/yr for full coverage. Granted, I'm 27 and my car is an 02. :eek:

#3 ·
I am paying about 1700 a year for full on an 06 WRX and I am 25. I seem to remember there was a bit of a difference between it and the STi and the Evo. Insurance companies come up with there rates in strange ways. I remember looking at bike insurance and with some it was more for me to insure an old gs 1100 than a gsxr 750 because they worked mostly off displacement when it came to bikes.

#4 ·
I got both insurance quotes for a 2005 Subaru WRX and a 2004 WRX STi with about the same miles on AIG Auto Insurance and i would be paying around $470 every 6 months or $130 every month for the STi and around $113 for the WRX monthly. Thats with i think almost full coverage..

#5 ·
I live in MA, so the insurance situation is a lot different than anywhere else. Nonetheless, my premium is about the same as you all. $1622 for "full" coverage (collision and comp, $500 deductible for both). I'm going to ask my insurance agent what my savings would be with a $1,000 deductible.

#6 ·
I just turned 23 and i have 2 points on my license. I live in PA and the insurance on my 06 sti is through the roof. Its about 350 per month granted that the car is a lease so i have to have a certain amount of coverage otherwise it would be much cheaper. But thats what i got to deal with if i want to drive my sti and yeah its def worth it to me. later fellas

#7 ·
I got quoted a little over $1200 a year for full coverage ($500 deductible) on an '06 STI when I was looking into getting one last fall (around August/September). This was with me being 32, a clean record and also having a home and my wife's '05 Forester XT through them as well.

Granted now, we live in rural Northwestern PA, so our rates are probably a lot cheaper than other areas.

I'll be curious to see, if I can get an Evo MR this summer like I hope, what my payments will be on that. I'll be 33 by then, but other than that there won't really be any other changes that I can think of that will affect the rate.

But who knows exactly how they figure they're rates... ;)

#9 ·
Here in Oregon my rates have fluctuated pretty bad, I started out paying 144/mo full coverage with 500 deductable for my STI back in 04, this went up to 177/month last year, then at the beginning of this year it went down to 133/month. I am 28 with 1 speeding ticket in the past 5 years..

#12 ·
i can't believe how much people are paying for insurance...

i guess i'm really lucky or i got a good person helping me...

$518 for 6/mo - that comes out to $86 and some change each month, 2 accidents (not-at-fault) 2 spd in last 5yrs (1 in last 3+ years) and i just turned 26

full coverage and $500 deductible

oh yeah...05 sti and portland, OR

#32 ·
Is this the deductable? You would save $220/month. If your current deductable is $500 say, you would make up the difference in 2.2 months. So you would save a lot of money if you can go for 2.2 months without an accident.

#23 · (Edited)
06 WRX TR. I pay $236.16 a month $1000 deductible comp/coll with Progressive, my last ticket was 4 years ago. Hit a deer and totaled my 04 WRX about a year ago. I'm 27 and live in MD.

Insurance rates vary by your location, married or single type of car and driving record. When I owned an 02 Eclipse Gt my insurance was $400+ because my driving record was terrible. If you live in a rural area rates will be cheaper than living in a city. If you stick with an insurance company for a long time your rates will be lower than if you keep switching companies.

#29 ·
Don't feel too bad, there's a thread going on right now at evolutionm.net of a kid who was quoted $600 a month for an Evo, and that's with his mom as the primary driver! :eek:

By the way, not that it makes any difference but our insurance went up $75 a month when I added my Evo to the policy (and it's actually less now that they're also deducting for having it stored away during the winter months). :D

As RayfieldsWRX said, the discounts can add up... ;)

#30 ·
$47/month for the bugeye. Same considerations as Ray, except unlike in space invaders this time I win.:sadwave:

Of course he didn't have to go to court three times recently to keep it that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.