Insurance for WRX's and STI's - Page 46
Page 46 of 62 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Insurance for WRX's and STI's within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; 50/yr Full Coverage- 0 deductible - 34 years old - 2008 WRX w/ 46,000 miles w/ clean record. Reside in ...

$1050/yr Full Coverage- $500 deductible - 34 years old - 2008 WRX w/ 46,000 miles w/ clean record. Reside in SE Michigan.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

$2300 USAA 2012 WRX 19 years old
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampliified View Post
    $2300 USAA 2012 WRX 19 years old
    For 6 months? You pay more in insurance than I do for my car if that's the case. I don't know why people buy these cars when they are that young
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I got my dream car so I'm happy and that insurance is with a clean record, driving classes, etc under my name.

Unfortunately I also don't see the point in paying more for insurance than you do for a car. But if you're happy, that's all that counts
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Unfortunately I also don't see the point in paying more for insurance than you do for a car. But if you're happy, that's all that counts
    Eh...There are better things to throw your money at than high insurance premiums.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampliified View Post
    I got my dream car so I'm happy and that insurance is with a clean record, driving classes, etc under my name.
    I don't understand that "dream car" thing with a WRX. They are very easily attainable and mass produced. There really isn't anything dreamy about that. To put it in perspective, I pay $277/mo...for 4 cars. 3 of which have full coverage.

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Eh...There are better things to throw your money at than high insurance premiums.

I don't understand that "dream car" thing with a WRX. They are very easily attainable and mass produced. There really isn't anything dreamy about that. To put it in perspective, I pay $277/mo...for 4 cars. 3 of which have full coverage.

Everything's relative. The WRX is a dream car for many and would have been for me, at a younger age. I'm not sure where you were financially or automobile-wise at 16-26 years old, but driving a vehicle of this magnitude (yes I use the word magnitude, because everything is relative), would have put me "on cloud nine".

At 23, I had 2 kids and had trouble making payments on a bare-bones econo-box. It was relatively new and I was happy as a pig in $#it with it. "shrugs shoulders"
    '12 WRX Limited, 5-door -- Black

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ea126405 View Post
    Everything's relative. The WRX is a dream car for many and would have been for me, at a younger age. I'm not sure where you were financially or automobile-wise at 16-26 years old, but driving a vehicle of this magnitude (yes I use the word magnitude, because everything is relative), would have put me "on cloud nine".

At 23, I had 2 kids and had trouble making payments on a bare-bones econo-box. It was relatively new and I was happy as a pig in $#it with it. "shrugs shoulders"
    At 16 I was happy because my parents were nice enough to buy me a car and pay for my insurance. Sure, I could think of cars that were "better" than my 87 Mazda 323, but I was dreaming big. Not some low end economy based 4dr family car. Don't get me wrong, I love my Subarus but no matter how you slice the pie, they are not dream cars. BTW...at 26 i have 7 cars currently and I STILL think there are better things to put your money into. A monthly insurance payment that rivals your car note is just stupid IMO. Especially because you can find great AND reliable beaters now for ~1000 bucks.

I Support ClubWRX
    Especially because you can find great AND reliable beaters now for ~1000 bucks.
    I dunno, when we first got married, we were dirt poor and needed wheels, so we bought a beater Mazda 626 for $2000. In the two years we had it, we probably put $500 in maintenance/repairs (new radiator, tires, etc). Finally, after putting ~20k miles on it, the transmission exploded, which effectually totalled it. Even though it never actually did, I always had this suspicion that the car would explode and leave us stranded. We never went on trips outside of town in case it died, always drove it super carefully, etc. It sucked, and I'd almost preferred we just walked.

You could argue that $2000 for ~20k miles isn't too bad, but there's a lot to be said for the peace of mind of a newer, lower-mileage vehicle. I'm not saying all cars have to be brand new and under warranty, but I'll gladly pay extra for a car that's been taken care of and isn't older than dirt.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews
    A monthly insurance payment that rivals your car note is just stupid IMO.
    Amica quoted me almost double my car payment to insure it through them :unamused:

I laughed and explained that it was >6X what I currently pay. I thanked the agent for his time and hung up. They send me mail from time to time, I guess hoping I've lost my mind...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    I dunno, when we first got married, we were dirt poor and needed wheels, so we bought a beater Mazda 626 for $2000. In the two years we had it, we probably put $500 in maintenance/repairs (new radiator, tires, etc). Finally, after putting ~20k miles on it, the transmission exploded, which effectually totalled it. Even though it never actually did, I always had this suspicion that the car would explode and leave us stranded. We never went on trips outside of town in case it died, always drove it super carefully, etc. It sucked, and I'd almost preferred we just walked.

You could argue that $2000 for ~20k miles isn't too bad, but there's a lot to be said for the peace of mind of a newer, lower-mileage vehicle. I'm not saying all cars have to be brand new and under warranty, but I'll gladly pay extra for a car that's been taken care of and isn't older than dirt.
    Ok...so you spend 2500 bucks over the course of 20k miles which I assume (based on average annual mileage) is ~2 years. In perspective that would have allowed you to drive one of these new cars for 2.5 months. I fail to see why your decision to blow up a Mazda was a poor one. My Brat has served me well, although I haven't had it in a few months thanks to the shop that it's at, and it was just over 1000 bucks. It's loud, smelly, and looks like crap but it gets me where I need to go. It also only costs $289 to insure for 6 months. I can't fathom spending as much money as some people do just to drive a WRX. If they told me tomorrow that my premium was going to cost 500 bucks a month for me to drive my WRX, I would promptly drop it and sell it. You can never convince me that any N.E.R.D., or any sort of econobox, is worth that much money to drive.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok...so you spend 2500 bucks over the course of 20k miles which I assume (based on average annual mileage) is ~2 years. In perspective that would have allowed you to drive one of these new cars for 2.5 months. I fail to see why your decision to blow up a Mazda was a poor one.
    I know what you're saying money-wise, but everytime I got in that car, I thought it would fall apart (which it eventually did, although thankfully not in an inconvienent place). Buying a crap car was cheap, and it did get us where we needed to go, but I had zero confidence in that vehicle. My arguement is that it's better to pony up a little extra for the piece of mind that the car will keep running. Does that mean you have to go out and buy a brand new WRX? Hardly, but in hindsight, I would have felt much better paying $4k for a Civic or the like that had been maintained and had lots of life left. There is a time and place for $500 Craigslist specials, but I would not recommend that option for those who must rely on the vehicle.

You can never convince me that any N.E.R.D., or any sort of econobox, is worth that much money to drive.
    I wasn't trying to. If I had to spend $500 a month on any vehicle, I can't afford it. I don't think people should be paying that much for Porsches, let alone Subarus.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews
    If they told me tomorrow that my premium was going to cost 500 bucks a month for me to drive my WRX, I would promptly drop it and sell it.
    If my premium went to $150/month ($5/day, whether I drive it or not), I would sell my car...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I pay $80 a month and think that's way too much.
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

On my 1989 Ford Crown vic with 33k miles i was driving i had the insurance under my moms and still paid $100 a month for that P.o.s so paying about $230 isn't that much of a shock to me for a brand new car and again I know people would say I'm crazy but this car is all I've wanted in my life so having a more money and a econobox would not make me happy. Thats what driving is all about enjoying the experience you get the second you get in your car and where it takes you