Insurance for WRX's and STI's - Page 34
+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 77 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 496 to 510 of 1147

This is a discussion on Insurance for WRX's and STI's within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Wrinklechops I tried posting this elsewhere but kept getting the fatal error thread thing, so I'll just ...

  1. #496
    Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    orlando flawduh
    Posts
    13,125
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    I tried posting this elsewhere but kept getting the fatal error thread thing, so I'll just post the link here until I can post the whole story. Apparently the WRX is the absolute worst car to insure, according to some safety agency report. Check it out:

    Safety agency lists best, worst cars to insure- Yahoo! Autos Article Page
    this has been posted 2 times already
    desiree

    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl

    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #497
    Registered User JUSTINSNUTSWINGER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    1,923
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    That makes complete sense as it's a different demographic that typically owns a vette.
    BUT....Micah owns both... they should start doing their homework (insurance companies).

    We are getting the big one.... regardless.
    N-swinger

    2000 Escort

    Maintenance schedule and poke in the eyes:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/genera...nce-guide.html

  4. #498
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    this has been posted 2 times already
    In this thread? Sorry. I just find it funny that our cars SUCK for insurance lol a freaking Corvette is cheaper to insure

  5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  6. #499
    Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    orlando flawduh
    Posts
    13,125
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    In this thread? Sorry. I just find it funny that our cars SUCK for insurance lol a freaking Corvette is cheaper to insure
    lol no it was posted in everyday impreza talk i think. but yeah. subaru insurance ftl lol. i cant wait til i get MY 25 y/o discount! too bad i still have 5 years
    desiree

    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl

    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II

  7. #500
    Registered User JoeMomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Monmouth County, NJ
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    my friend posted this on facebook.. so i'll say the same thing i said there.

    it's because mom & dad buy their kids wrx's & sti's without teaching them how to be responsible & drive properly. they end up crashing into a tree, flipping over into a ditch, or somehow catching fire.
    because of this we had to drop the damage and theft part of the insurance. now i dont even wanna drive my car cause ive recently heard of a few bugeyes getting stolen. not to mention people cant drive for crap around here. FML
    bugeye maffia member #304 l http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_fonseca/

  8. #501
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    15,157
    I Support ClubWRX
    It is tempting to merge the threads Ray already merged into this one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    In this thread? Sorry. I just find it funny that our cars SUCK for insurance lol a freaking Corvette is cheaper to insure

    I pay like $60 a month for my WRX insurance, and always have (both KS and here). I guarantee that if people generally drove vettes here 7 months of the year then vette insurance would climb steeply. Who cares if a fair weather midlife/retirement car is less than a WRX for a boy racer to insure. If it were at all practical I'd probably be in the vette but I couldn't afford one when I was young and still can't now.
    Last edited by mycologist; 09-28-2009 at 04:21 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  9. #502
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    15,157
    I Support ClubWRX
    More merging....
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  10. #503
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    lol no it was posted in everyday impreza talk i think. but yeah. subaru insurance ftl lol. i cant wait til i get MY 25 y/o discount! too bad i still have 5 years
    Yea, when I turned 24 and got my Associate's Degree in college it went down dramatically. I used to pay $280 per month, but then it went down to $155. When I turn 25 soon it will drop even more hopefully. Nothing like that 2nd puberty that makes you instantly less of a liability. Check the video I shall post after this! Hilarious!

    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I pay like $60 a month for my WRX insurance, and always have (both KS and here). I guarantee that if people generally drove vettes here 7 months of the year then vette insurance would climb steeply. Who cares if a fair weather midlife/retirement car is less than a WRX for a boy racer to insure. If it were at all practical I'd probably be in the vette but I couldn't afford one when I was young and still can't now.
    You're right, the number of cars of a particular kind insured is probably proportionate to the number of claims filed, etc. I suppose there's something to be said though for the high number of accidents WRX drivers and their cars are involved in.

  11. #504
    Wrinklechops
    Not sure if it's already been posted, but here's something that I find hilarious with regard to our car insurance talk:

    YouTube - Auto Insurance

  12. #505
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    15,157
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post


    You're right, the number of cars of a particular kind insured is probably proportionate to the number of claims filed, etc. I suppose there's something to be said though for the high number of accidents WRX drivers and their cars are involved in.
    That isn't what I mean - the probability is calculated by the insurance company relative to how likely the car is to crash per car, not how likely you are to buy it. They already know that you have the car when you call for the quote.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  13. #506
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    That isn't what I mean - the probability is calculated by the insurance company relative to how likely the car is to crash per car, not how likely you are to buy it. They already know that you have the car when you call for the quote.
    Yes I know. That's terrible though, for a "safe little econo-japanese car" to be getting terrible safety reviews. AWD too. :

  14. #507
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    15,157
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Yes I know. That's terrible though, for a "safe little econo-japanese car" to be getting terrible safety reviews. AWD too. :
    I know you are always on the lookout to get in a new dig on WRXs since you got jipped, but they are very safe for a powerful car. Just because the car is totaled by a wreckless driver doesn't make it unsafe. The thing practically has a roll cage built in and takes considerable extra effort to extract someone from who is much more likely to be fine (hence the 5 star rating). How the heck do you get to that conclusion. It is costing the insurance company because the car is totaled, and maybe some bystanders were killed. Not because in a wreck you are more likely to get hurt (unsafe). Or do you think high performance is not safe in anyone's hands? Especially in stock form with built in understeer. Yeah, sure, I go with you on this one too and a corvette is a great car to give a 16 YO to drive in the winter just because 50 YOs do fine with it in the summer.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  15. #508
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I know you are always on the lookout to get in a new dig on WRXs since you got jipped, but they are very safe for a powerful car. Just because the car is totaled by a wreckless driver doesn't make it unsafe. The thing practically has a roll cage built in and takes considerable extra effort to extract someone from who is much more likely to be fine (hence the 5 star rating). How the heck do you get to that conclusion. It is costing the insurance company because the car is totaled, and maybe some bystanders were killed. Not because in a wreck you are more likely to get hurt (unsafe). Or do you think high performance is not safe in anyone's hands? Especially in stock form with built in understeer. Yeah, sure, I go with you on this one too and a corvette is a great car to give a 16 YO to drive in the winter just because 50 YOs do fine with it in the summer.
    Wow Myco, are you sick again? Is this attitude I sense?

    I'm not looking for anything negative to do with WRXs, and in fact I was more surprised than anything when I saw that report. I'm sure you read the article? I really thought the WRX wouldn't even come close to the top 5 or 10 worst vehicles to insure.

    And it just so happens that among 2005-2007 models, the Subaru Impreza WRX had the highest loss rate among all types of coverage."

    That means insurers paid out more to repair WRXs than any other model of car. Insurers paid out more claims to repair cars hit by WRXs than those hit by anything else. WRX owners even claimed more non-crash-related damage than owners of any other car.

    Your own perfect driving record won't necessarily help you avoid those charges. The Journal explains, "Even if you have a spotless record of safe, accident-free driving in a Subaru WRX, you are also paying for the damage racked up by the other WRX drivers who aren't as careful as you are with this high-performance, turbo-charged machine."

    That may ultimately be the problem with the WRX - it's not the car, it's the people who drive it. After all, Edmunds Straightline notes, the WRX offers a lot of horsepower for a low price. "Build a performance car and price it low enough for younger drivers to afford, and then, the insurance companies step into to ruin the fun," they comment.
    I guess that means what, there are a lot of bad WRX drivers out there basically? Most of the ones I know are good drivers with clean records though.

    I watched a documentary recently on old American muscle cars and they mentioned how back in the day the auto insurance companies didn't take long to catch on to the muscle car craze and start charging $1500 per year to insure them. And that was back when car insurance wasn't the law. $1500 back in the 60s/70s was probably an insane amount by today's comparison.
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 09-28-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: muscle car insurance

  16. #509
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    15,157
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Wow Myco, are you sick again? Is this attitude I sense?

    I'm not looking for anything negative to do with WRXs, and in fact I was more surprised than anything when I saw that report. I'm sure you read the article? I really thought the WRX wouldn't even come close to the top 5 or 10 worst vehicles to insure.



    I guess that means what, there are a lot of bad WRX drivers out there basically? Most of the ones I know are good drivers with clean records though.

    I watched a documentary recently on old American muscle cars and they mentioned how back in the day the auto insurance companies didn't take long to catch on to the muscle car craze and start charging $1500 per year to insure them. And that was back when car insurance wasn't the law. $1500 back in the 60s/70s was probably an insane amount by today's comparison.
    No, I don't have an attitude. Your point may have been misunderstood but it was fairly intuitive that you were trying to blame the car by pointing out it has AWD and calling it a "saftey review". No, I also didn't read the article. As you can see though, I didn't need to as I fairly well summarized it by pointing out that it deals with damage to cars and other bystanders which has absolutely nothing to do with how "safe" a car is for the occupants when it crashes in a given direction at a given speed. It is a very safe car and I put all the blame on the drivers and the insurance companies. Besides, who thinks AWD is a safety advantage in a performance driving situation? It is not. RWD is much more intuitive and provides better modulation at the sacrifice of some grip. AWD cars are less predictable and require non-intuitive techniques like accelerating when you think you should brake. It is "safer" if your concern is your wife not getting stuck.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  17. #510
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    No, I don't have an attitude. Your point may have been misunderstood but it was fairly intuitive that you were trying to blame the car by pointing out it has AWD and calling it a "saftey review". No, I also didn't read the article. As you can see though, I didn't need to as I fairly well summarized it by pointing out that it deals with damage to cars and other bystanders which has absolutely nothing to do with how "safe" a car is for the occupants when it crashes in a given direction at a given speed. It is a very safe car and I put all the blame on the drivers and the insurance companies. Besides, who thinks AWD is a safety advantage in a performance driving situation? It is not. RWD is much more intuitive and provides better modulation at the sacrifice of some grip. AWD cars are less predictable and require non-intuitive techniques like accelerating when you think you should brake. It is "safer" if your concern is your wife not getting stuck.

    I think we have a big disconnect Jon I wasn't trying to say that the car itself was to blame, but rather the people who drive them. I thought you were saying that the car was to blame or something, so I said that if the car itself is to blame then that's not the drivers faults, it's Subaru's. Anyways, sorry about this miscommunication. I didn't know you had not read the article. I think we're on the same page now

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •