Insurance for WRX's and STI's - Page 34
Page 34 of 61 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 496 to 510 of 909

This is a discussion on Insurance for WRX's and STI's within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Wrinklechops Wow Myco, are you sick again? Is this attitude I sense? I'm not looking for anything ...

  1. #496
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    12,799
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Wow Myco, are you sick again? Is this attitude I sense?

    I'm not looking for anything negative to do with WRXs, and in fact I was more surprised than anything when I saw that report. I'm sure you read the article? I really thought the WRX wouldn't even come close to the top 5 or 10 worst vehicles to insure.



    I guess that means what, there are a lot of bad WRX drivers out there basically? Most of the ones I know are good drivers with clean records though.

    I watched a documentary recently on old American muscle cars and they mentioned how back in the day the auto insurance companies didn't take long to catch on to the muscle car craze and start charging $1500 per year to insure them. And that was back when car insurance wasn't the law. $1500 back in the 60s/70s was probably an insane amount by today's comparison.
    No, I don't have an attitude. Your point may have been misunderstood but it was fairly intuitive that you were trying to blame the car by pointing out it has AWD and calling it a "saftey review". No, I also didn't read the article. As you can see though, I didn't need to as I fairly well summarized it by pointing out that it deals with damage to cars and other bystanders which has absolutely nothing to do with how "safe" a car is for the occupants when it crashes in a given direction at a given speed. It is a very safe car and I put all the blame on the drivers and the insurance companies. Besides, who thinks AWD is a safety advantage in a performance driving situation? It is not. RWD is much more intuitive and provides better modulation at the sacrifice of some grip. AWD cars are less predictable and require non-intuitive techniques like accelerating when you think you should brake. It is "safer" if your concern is your wife not getting stuck.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #497
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    No, I don't have an attitude. Your point may have been misunderstood but it was fairly intuitive that you were trying to blame the car by pointing out it has AWD and calling it a "saftey review". No, I also didn't read the article. As you can see though, I didn't need to as I fairly well summarized it by pointing out that it deals with damage to cars and other bystanders which has absolutely nothing to do with how "safe" a car is for the occupants when it crashes in a given direction at a given speed. It is a very safe car and I put all the blame on the drivers and the insurance companies. Besides, who thinks AWD is a safety advantage in a performance driving situation? It is not. RWD is much more intuitive and provides better modulation at the sacrifice of some grip. AWD cars are less predictable and require non-intuitive techniques like accelerating when you think you should brake. It is "safer" if your concern is your wife not getting stuck.

    I think we have a big disconnect Jon I wasn't trying to say that the car itself was to blame, but rather the people who drive them. I thought you were saying that the car was to blame or something, so I said that if the car itself is to blame then that's not the drivers faults, it's Subaru's. Anyways, sorry about this miscommunication. I didn't know you had not read the article. I think we're on the same page now

  4. #498
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    12,799
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    I think we have a big disconnect Jon I wasn't trying to say that the car itself was to blame, but rather the people who drive them. I thought you were saying that the car was to blame or something, so I said that if the car itself is to blame then that's not the drivers faults, it's Subaru's. Anyways, sorry about this miscommunication. I didn't know you had not read the article. I think we're on the same page now
    I didn't see anything additional from the article after just reading it that I didn't know from the previous discussion in the two threads that were merged. I don't see anywhere that you implied or stated that it was the driver's fault initially or get how you figured I was blaming the car, but I'm glad you see it my way now
    Last edited by mycologist; 09-28-2009 at 09:18 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  5. #499
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I didn't see anything additional from the article after just reading it that I didn't know from the previous discussion in the two threads that were merged. I don't see anywhere that you implied or stated that it was the driver's fault initially or get how you figured I was blaming the car, but I'm glad you see it my way now
    I just thought you were saying that since I said a Corvette was cheaper to insure that naturally that would be so seeing as there are more WRXs on the road than Corvettes, so naturally the number of accidents for a WRX would probably be higher just based on the sheer number of them on the road vs a Corvette. I then said that although that is true, there is still something to be said for the high number of WRX-related accidents vs other cars with equal number of cars on the road. Then you said the higher rates were based on how likely the car was to crash, and I took that to mean that you were referring to the safety of the actual CAR. *sigh* miscommunication. Probably my fault. Sorry.

  6. #500
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    12,799
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    I just thought you were saying that since I said a Corvette was cheaper to insure that naturally that would be so seeing as there are more WRXs on the road than Corvettes, so naturally the number of accidents for a WRX would probably be higher just based on the sheer number of them on the road vs a Corvette. I then said that although that is true, there is still something to be said for the high number of WRX-related accidents vs other cars with equal number of cars on the road. Then you said the higher rates were based on how likely the car was to crash, and I took that to mean that you were referring to the safety of the actual CAR. *sigh* miscommunication. Probably my fault. Sorry.
    I do see now finally. I know the Corvette demographic was brought up before, but I read something since that indicated Corvettes are actually as likely to crash but do very little damage to other people they hit relatively (fitting under SUVs and such). If that is the case then I was wrong, but it puts both cars in a bad light if we allow things like how fast a car goes and who usually drives them to be included under "safety"
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  7. #501
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,912
    I Support ClubWRX
    [is tempted to merge this thread with the "how fast have you gone" thread]
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  8. #502
    Luke Skywalker Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,643
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    [is tempted to merge this thread with the "how fast have you gone" thread]


    This is a big discussion going on over on my Z Forum as well because the 350z is up there on the list as well and the article of course, was posted.

    Again, you can chalk it up to being able to afford a "luxury" sports car in the Z for as little as $10k...and the loss being relatively high due to many not knowing how to handle the power in a RWD coupe...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

  9. #503
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I do see now finally. I know the Corvette demographic was brought up before, but I read something since that indicated Corvettes are actually as likely to crash but do very little damage to other people they hit relatively (fitting under SUVs and such). If that is the case then I was wrong, but it puts both cars in a bad light if we allow things like how fast a car goes and who usually drives them to be included under "safety"
    Very true.

    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    [is tempted to merge this thread with the "how fast have you gone" thread]

  10. #504
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4

    just got a 2005 WRX STi

    I sold my 2004 Infiniti G35 because I moved close to Flagstaff, AZ and wanted something with just as much power that was AWD for the snow, so I got the 2005 Subaru WRX Sti. OMG!!! My insurance went from $485 every six months on the Infiniti to $829 with the Subaru for the same coverage!

  11. #505
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by r1riderdds View Post
    I sold my 2004 Infiniti G35 because I moved close to Flagstaff, AZ and wanted something with just as much power that was AWD for the snow, so I got the 2005 Subaru WRX Sti. OMG!!! My insurance went from $485 every six months on the Infiniti to $829 with the Subaru for the same coverage!
    That's nuts! Why so much do you think?

  12. #506
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    That's nuts! Why so much do you think?
    most likely what everyone else said. stupid kids get them, try to be fast & furious, cause accidents and raise rates. if i knew that befoe hand, i would have kept looking. oh well, i still like it.

  13. #507
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by r1riderdds View Post
    most likely what everyone else said. stupid kids get them, try to be fast & furious, cause accidents and raise rates. if i knew that befoe hand, i would have kept looking. oh well, i still like it.
    Yea, you're right. It's still a great car and you won't regret it. How many miles were on it?

  14. #508
    Luke Skywalker Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,643
    Quote Originally Posted by r1riderdds View Post
    I sold my 2004 Infiniti G35 because I moved close to Flagstaff, AZ and wanted something with just as much power that was AWD for the snow, so I got the 2005 Subaru WRX Sti. OMG!!! My insurance went from $485 every six months on the Infiniti to $829 with the Subaru for the same coverage!
    How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm not sure on rates out in your area overall...but under $2000 a year for insurance on an STI isn't that bad IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by r1riderdds View Post
    most likely what everyone else said. stupid kids get them, try to be fast & furious, cause accidents and raise rates. if i knew that befoe hand, i would have kept looking. oh well, i still like it.
    Very possibly of course...but insurance companies will see "300hp" and "Turbo" and just think, wow...these cars are built simply to go fast. Lets jack up the rates.

    But compared to a G35 sedan, an STI is a major sports car compared to a family sedan. I went from an STI to a 350z 7 months ago...and my rates dropped about $50 a month, and they just dropped another $50 this coming month...the 350z is by all means a true sports car when compared to the STI. They can even be bought cheaper by anyone..and insurance is still lower. Very odd to me either way
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

  15. #509
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm not sure on rates out in your area overall...but under $2000 a year for insurance on an STI isn't that bad IMO.

    Very true. My WRX cost me $3360 (12 months) when I first bought it. $280 a month.

    Very possibly of course...but insurance companies will see "300hp" and "Turbo" and just think, wow...these cars are built simply to go fast. Lets jack up the rates.

    But compared to a G35 sedan, an STI is a major sports car compared to a family sedan. I went from an STI to a 350z 7 months ago...and my rates dropped about $50 a month, and they just dropped another $50 this coming month...the 350z is by all means a true sports car when compared to the STI. They can even be bought cheaper by anyone..and insurance is still lower. Very odd to me either way
    Unfortunately, it's not only "very possible", it's absolutely the case. If you read the link I provided earlier in this thread, it shows what everyone here has already confirmed: it's not the car, it's the people who historically buy them, soup them up or drive like idiots and get in wrecks and get people hurt or cause lots of car damage.

    Safety agency lists best, worst cars to insure- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

    So yes, an insurance company does say "wow, 300hp turbo? let's jack his rates for sure", but they already have the data well ahead of time before making that decision. It's not something the rep makes on the phone when you call for a quote or something.

  16. #510
    Luke Skywalker Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,643
    ^^^You are right...I had read the article back then and kinda forgot about it. These powerful cars are getting much cheaper to buy now, so kids will do it and parents will be more willing to buy them for their kids without knowing anything about them. It scares me actually...I would NEVER have bought me an STI for my first or second car if I was my parents (they didn't of course...I had an Acura Integra LS...nice slow 4cyl )
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •