Insurance for WRX's and STI's - Page 19
Page 19 of 63 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Insurance for WRX's and STI's within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Uh, if you can't afford the insurance, I would steer clear of the WRX. Insuring a vehicle is not a ...

Uh, if you can't afford the insurance, I would steer clear of the WRX.

Insuring a vehicle is not a problem as long as you are not too young and you have a clean driving record.
    Location is also a determining factor how much you will be paying for car insurance.
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

How long before this thread gets merged into the big insurance thread, where a million other people have previously posted asking how much everyone else pays? (Even though it has practically nothing to do with how much anyone else will pay because of the zillions of different factors used to determine rates.)

Here's one for you: Why don't people just call insurance companies to get quotes?
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

mines not that bad, initially i thought i was going to pay around 200-250$ a month for insurance, and when i went to talk to my insurance company it was 110 a month. so ya its pretty decent for full coverage.

my civic is under my dads name and the insurance i beleive is with my dad. i was thinking of buying it put under my dads then put the honda under mine or my brothers. For me at least getting a quote is a pain online. i pay for the insurance but i dont pysically do it so i have no clue what type and what am i covered with. I have a clean driving record.
    A Little Piece of Heaven-Avenged Sevenfold

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHonda00
    my civic is under my dads name and the insurance i beleive is with my dad. i was thinking of buying it put under my dads then put the honda under mine or my brothers. For me at least getting a quote is a pain online. i pay for the insurance but i dont pysically do it so i have no clue what type and what am i covered with. I have a clean driving record.
    Talk to your father, get the insurance information from him - then call around and see what kind of rates you'll get.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia
    WRX's and especially STi's are expensive to insure period.
    You guys got me curious; I haven't really looked at what I'm paying in premiums, lately. (wife pays the bills) I'm currently paying $55 a month for full coverage on the WRX, multiple car discount, North Carolina, house insured by same company, hair beginning to sprout from ears.

Now going to look for the thread to merge this into...
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 12-30-2007 at 02:27 PM.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

In the middle of a corn field somewhere in Illinois
    I have a horrible driving record. 25 with state farm pay about 1300 a year. Can't wait until those tickets drop.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Oh nooo, its the merginator!
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm sure at some point in the future there be more so here is fair warning...

-The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tom'sti View Post
    Oh nooo, its the merginator!
    roffleklamf
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You guys got me curious; I haven't really looked at what I'm paying in premiums, lately. (wife pays the bills) I'm currently paying $55 a month for full coverage on the WRX, multiple car discount, North Carolina, house insured by same company, hair beginning to sprout from ears.

Here comes the raytrain! LOL

Ray, when I bought my WRX, I called my insurance company to have it added. Her exact quote: "Oh, that's an Impreza WRX. That's classified as a 'hot car'. It is one of the highest rates on the premiums list."

I gave the phone one of these:

Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I Support ClubWRX
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Quote Originally Posted by HxcJohnny View Post
    and yes, anyone can insure a car. you can have the car in your name, and your dad can have it covered with his insurance policy. you could have a policy out on your neighbors car if you wanted to.
    Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    What do you mean "insurance was only in his fathers name"?

If you do go on your fathers insurance, be honest about it. If you're driving the WRX, don't try to screw them by putting you as the driver of your mother's minivan.
    What I meant is that it sounds like Johnny is suggesting that the kid buy the car and then the dad insure it without the kid's name on the policy. That is not possible because of the rules I outlined whereby insurance companies require that any driver 18 or under (age varies by insurance company and state) living under the same roof must be listed on the policies of all vehicles registered at that address. If the parents don't do this and the kid gets in an accident in one of those cars, then the insurance company is likely to refuse coverage. That could destroy somebody financially if the accident involves personal injury of the other party and it's the kid's fault.

Technically anybody that lives at the same address that drives a car must be listed on the policy for any other primary vehicle for another driver at that address. I'm listed on my wife's policy as an alternate driver and vice versa. If I wasn't, her insurance company could deny coverage if I got in an accident because I'm not an "occasional driver" of the vehicle. If I had a collector car in addition to my primary vehicle, then I wouldn't have to list her on that policy. In my case, since my wife and I are both well past teenagers, and neither of us has an atrocious driving record, there's zero charge for listing the other person on each other's policy. On a related note, it isn't possible for my wife to list herself as the primary driver of both vehicles at our address so that the insurance on my STI would be less since she doesn't have any tickets. If there are two licensed drivers at an address, and two vehicles, then each driver is automatically considered the primary driver for one of the vehicles. I also can't put her as the primary on the STI and get a cheaper rate on that car, and list myself as the primary on her car since it's much less to insure, since the rates don't go by the primary driver, just by the more expensive driver to insure.

I would have had no idea of all of these conditions that my wife and I had to follow unless I had asked our insurance agent. Thankfully, my in-laws have used the guy for years, and it's just him and his daughter who are both super nice people and are happy to take the time to explain everything.

So if any of you are married and don't have yourself listed on your wife's car, or if she's not listed on yours, then do it now! It shouldn't cost you anything additional but it could save you from financial ruin if something happened. Ask your insurance agent about this. And if they say it ain't so, then maybe your state laws differ, or maybe they don't know what they're talking about. Either way, I'd do it anyway since there's no harm!
    Last edited by teflon_jones; 12-30-2007 at 10:23 PM.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones
    What I meant is that it sounds like Johnny is suggesting that the kid buy the car and then the dad insure it without the kid's name on the policy. That is not possible because of the rules I outlined whereby insurance companies require that any driver 18 or under living under the same roof must be listed on the policies of all vehicles registered at that address. If the parents don't do this and the kid gets in an accident in one of those cars, then the insurance company is likely to refuse coverage. That could destroy somebody financially if the accident involves personal injury of the other party and it's the kid's fault.
    That would be insurance fraud - the same thing as my scenerio, where you insure the kid on the family minivan, when they'll be driving the WRX
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally Posted by HxcJohnny
    and yes, anyone can insure a car. you can have the car in your name, and your dad can have it covered with his insurance policy. you could have a policy out on your neighbors car if you wanted to.
    Hmm..Not entirely corrrect. I tried to get a friend's car added onto my insurance policy, as I was driving the car while my WRX was being rebuilt. "We're sorry, but we cannot add a vehicle to your policy, unless you have a financial tie to the vehicle: co-owner, owner, etc. Your name needs to be tied to the vehicle, somehow, in order for it to be covered by your policy."
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft