Insurance for WRX's and STI's - Page 18
Page 18 of 63 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Insurance for WRX's and STI's within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; now i know there are probably already a few threads about this, but i couldn't find any with the search ...

sti insurance?

now i know there are probably already a few threads about this, but i couldn't find any with the search function. I own a 2006 mustang right now, that i originally planned to turbo, then build the bottom end, then move my way up top, swap in a t-56, etc. but i just cant deal with it in the snow anymore, its horrible. I get stuck all the time and slide like crazy. So, i've been looking about selling my car (kbb says 17,5) and using the money i have saved up for an upgrade to an sti, but i was wondering how insurance is with the sti's? Now i know you obviously can't give me an exact amount of how much mine would be, but in comparison to other vehicles you have owned/ do own, how bad is it? Cause i've read that it's pretty bad, and im only 17 so it will probably be twice as bad for me. I don't pay my own insurance, and i have enough to pay for the car (i pay for my own car, my parents pay the insurance, thats the deal we made), but my parents are obviously not going to be happy paying twice as much as they do now, and i'd feel like an ******* taking advantage of our deal like that, so help me out!
    soon to have either 04 gto or 05-06 sti

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You'd be better off calling around and getting quotes as any reply here IS going to be useless. There are so many variables that go into insurance rates and very few if any here will even be close to your situation.

That being said. 83/month, full coverage.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

to give you an idea, im 29 years old and have a VERY good driving record (2 tickets since 16) and it wont be cheap for you. in fact, i put the insurance under my step mother, who is in her 50's, and i'm the secondary driver. i pay around $1600.00 a year for full coverage. you'll be looking somewhere between 2500.00 to 3500.00 for the year if you put it under your name. i tried to buy a grand national when i was 18 and was quoted about 4000.00 for the year. insurance sucks when your under 26.

wow, wish i only had to pay 83 a month for full coverage. I'm paying 156 for a 06wrx. One factor the STI has going for it is the majority of the people who have them are older rather then the wrx. but as mentioned previously there are a lot of factors some of them bs that go into determining your rates.
    -07 STI Black
    -K&N Dropp In filter
    -Megan type 2 Stealth Catback
    -Indash nav unit (Soon)
    -Protuned By Bobby @ PRE
    277WHP & 302TQ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tom'sti View Post
    You'd be better off calling around and getting quotes as any reply here IS going to be useless. There are so many variables that go into insurance rates and very few if any here will even be close to your situation.
    +1
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Thread merge.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Insurance

hey, have a question... looking at a subaru wrx for my next car. i have no problem coming up with the 24 or 25 thousand for it, but am concerned about the insurance. Hard time looking for a definate answer so hopefully i can get some answers on about the insurance for this car, say if i put it under my dads name? would that be reasonably affordable for the car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHonda00
    hey, have a question... looking at a subaru wrx for my next car. i have no problem coming up with the 24 or 25 thousand for it, but am concerned about the insurance. Hard time looking for a definate answer so hopefully i can get some answers on about the insurance for this car, say if i put it under my dads name? would that be reasonably affordable for the car.
    Depends - age, location, driving record

Being under your parents, you [probably] will get a better price.

Call around and get quotes. Then have your parents do the same. Choose whichever fits best.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

call your insurance rep. they will give you a quote, just tell them what car your looking at. Way to many variables for anyone to tell you here.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmm06 View Post
    call your insurance rep. they will give you a quote, just tell them what car your looking at. Way to many variables for anyone to tell you here.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHonda00 View Post
    say if i put it under my dads name? would that be reasonably affordable for the car.
    While that might make it more affordable, your dad would also have to buy the car so that it was in his name. Otherwise, any claims you submitted could be denied if the insurance company found that the car was in your name but your dad was carrying the insurance. They tend to frown on people doing that.

You've got to pay to play. If you can't insure it correctly, then don't buy it. I've seen way too many cases of teenagers getting screwed financially because they try and cut corners like this and then they get in an accident and their insurance company won't cover them.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    heres my info:

florida. clean driving record (no tickets/accidents). 18 years old. good student discount. $130 a month

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

there are a ton of factors really, the wrx is a little expensive as far as insurance goes, but it's not terrible. I have a 91 jeep cherokee and i have that listed as my primary driver, with the wrx listed as a "pleasure vehicle." I'm 23 and have a clean driving record, but i pay 240 bucks every six months for full coverage on the subaru.

and yes, anyone can insure a car. you can have the car in your name, and your dad can have it covered with his insurance policy. you could have a policy out on your neighbors car if you wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by HxcJohnny View Post
    and yes, anyone can insure a car. you can have the car in your name, and your dad can have it covered with his insurance policy. you could have a policy out on your neighbors car if you wanted to.
    While that's true, if the OP got in an accident and the insurance was only in his father's name, the insurance company may deny the claim. In fact, most insurance companies require that any driver under 18 living at an address MUST be listed on the insurance policy of EVERY vehicle insured at that address. And by adding the young driver to the insurance policy, the cost is likely to be just as much as if the young driver is the primary on the policy.

Basically, insurance companies have already covered any loophole that you might think of to save money because they've seen it all before! So back to my original statement, if you can't afford to insure it correctly, then don't buy the car.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones
    While that's true, if the OP got in an accident and the insurance was only in his father's name, the insurance company may deny the claim. In fact, most insurance companies require that any driver under 18 living at an address MUST be listed on the insurance policy of EVERY vehicle insured at that address. And by adding the young driver to the insurance policy, the cost is likely to be just as much as if the young driver is the primary on the policy.
    What do you mean "insurance was only in his fathers name"?

If you do go on your fathers insurance, be honest about it. If you're driving the WRX, don't try to screw them by putting you as the driver of your mother's minivan.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

WRX's and especially STi's are expensive to insure period.

Just to compare, my '06 GTO is HALF the price a year to insure as my 07 WRX.

go figure...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)