The WRX Mileage Thread - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on The WRX Mileage Thread within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; 3 month bump! just wanted to brag that last week i got THREE HUNDRED AND TEN miles to my tank... ...

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    3 month bump!

just wanted to brag that last week i got THREE HUNDRED AND TEN miles to my tank... all city driving (mixed spirited/normal)

<3 my car.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ok after seeing that people are getting 300+ miles to a tank of gas, i am starting to think that there is something wrong with my car. I am getting 200 miles max to a tank of gas on mainly highway driving. What could be wrong???? I average like 150 miles to a tank. I have a 02 wrx with a cai, an sti exhaust, wheels, tires, and other than that it is stock. It was bought used. Any comments would help.
    Last edited by Tubbs540; 01-07-2009 at 12:46 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Remove the brick from your accelerator?

I drive in a spirited fashion when I've got room and can legally do so...and I get mad if I get less than 350 miles to a tank.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Just filled up and did 275 on 11 gallons. I also regulary get around 180 - 200 miles by half a tank depending on driving style. Still pretty much stock condition and carrying no extra weight.
    An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. You would never see an ‘Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order’ sign, just ‘Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience.’ - Mitch Hedberg

Winter is hurting me really bad right now as I saw mine drop below half at 150 (180-200 is normal for me, too)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    3 month bump!

just wanted to brag that last week i got THREE HUNDRED AND TEN miles to my tank... all city driving (mixed spirited/normal)

<3 my car.
    bumping this again because i thought this 300+ thing was a once in a lifetime occurrence, however

2 weeks ago i got 320 miles on my tank.. once again, all city

and last week i got 300 (all city)

i mean, im not going to complain because this is awesome, but i'm honestly not understanding how i'm getting over 300 city, consistently now. this is ridonkulous!

desiree

09 WRX in MPG

how fuel efficient is your 09 WRX I keep hearing how remarkable they are in performance and tuning, but never anything about economy.
    I understand it is designed with a turbo and boost totally kills MPG.
    is there a way to get better efficiency and power in the new WRX's like the older ones (example: Headers, lighter pulleys, freeflow exhaust, ecu tune)

and if so what is the best MPG you got on your 09 WRX?
    thanks guys

I'm currently driving a 2001 custom turboed Hyundai Accent 8psi at 180WHP tho I am still making 30-35 MPG when I drive like Grandma that's why I ask about the 09 WRX.

Consumer Reports got an average of 29 mpg or something crazy like that, and they're the most conservative drivers when it comes to testing, so I'd say that's the high range for average mpg. I have no idea what I CAN get from mine, because I only have like 220 miles on it, and they're all pretty "hard" miles. lol

I've gone about 190 miles on this tank and I have a little less than a half tank, so I'm probably getting around 20. Not bad considering how I've been driving it.

As far as tips to get better efficiency, the easy answer is: stay below turbo spool (3k RPM) and you'll probably get mid to high 20's.
    2009 DGM WRX 5-door w/ STI short shifter. Stock...for now.

I wasn't asking how much MPG an 09 WRX makes.

people get a better assessment on how fuel efficient a car is.

I was trying to ask what kind of mods you did to help your MPG and what kind of gains are we looking at from your noted stock MPG. (thats why I gave an example)
    thanks for the input tho.

I Support ClubWRX
    What kind of mods we've done to improve MPG? I'd recommend the "sell your WRX and buy a Fit" mod.

Kidding around, but if ultimate MPG was your goal, you've selected the wrong car. As has been mentioned, driving style will likely be a much larger factor than most any modification you make.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

My stock 09 WRX averages about 22-23 mpg now that it's all broken in. This is pretty much half and half city/highway.

On my commute to work, about 12 miles, I can get 28mpg if i'm diligent about not getting into boost. Not necessarily driving like a grandma, but just not taking off from stop signs and traffic lights. I've seen 30's on the highway on multiple occasions.

I'd imagine that the best modifications to improve gas mileage would be weight reduction and increases to aerodynamics.

Like others have said, it's not built with MPGs as top priority. Though I do think it's doing pretty well given the power it's making!

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    bumping this again because i thought this 300+ thing was a once in a lifetime occurrence, however

2 weeks ago i got 320 miles on my tank.. once again, all city

and last week i got 300 (all city)

i mean, im not going to complain because this is awesome, but i'm honestly not understanding how i'm getting over 300 city, consistently now. this is ridonkulous!
    Nobody's putting gas in your tank without you realizing, are they?? Seriously, that was one of the best pranks we pulled on a friend - he got a brand new VW and every night we'd put a few gallons of gas in without him knowing it and he thought he was getting the best gas mileage in the world!

I Support ClubWRX
    lol. trust me- with gas at 2.30 a gallon- no one is sneaking it into my tank! (i wish they would though!)

i've still been getting 305 miles to a tank for the past 2 months consistently. still shocked- but it makes me smile

desiree

04 sti bone stock 19.8mpg?

I have an 04 STI bone stock well almost i have a KNN drop in. but i m gettin 19.8mpg last tank. roughly 45miles per day from home to work and home again. 90% is highway. cruise control set at 70mph right under 3000 rpm. that sound right. my boost is only used when merging onto highway. and rarely used to full strength. constantly sits in the - side of the factory boost gauge. when it gains boost for the lil hills it never sees the pos. side of the gauge. so shouldnt a 4cyl be getter better mpg than 217 miles per 10.8 gallons? my 03 accord coupe v6 would get 22mpg average with beating on it and using those 6 cyls.

Check tire pressure and get rid of the dead bodies in the trunk. Hills will kill mileage using cruise control from what i'm told. I use cruise control as much as possible for my 40 mile commute but it is pretty much flat most of the way.
    An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. You would never see an ‘Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order’ sign, just ‘Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience.’ - Mitch Hedberg