Instead of remote starter ... turbo timer?

This is a discussion on Instead of remote starter ... turbo timer? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; It seems that it may be a pain to install an alarm/remote starter on my 02 wrx. Theres a "blue" ...

Instead of remote starter ... turbo timer?

It seems that it may be a pain to install an alarm/remote starter on my 02 wrx. Theres a "blue" wire I can tap in order for the remote starter to determine whether the car is in gear or not. That is still some what unconfirmed though because I haven't found enough to really know this to be true.

So I was thinking, it may be safer and easier to just install a Blitz turbo timer with a WRX wiring harness designed for a simple plug and play install. I can set it up to run for 10 minutes or what ever time period I set, I don't have to bypass my current keyless entry and the one I'm looking at even come with some extras like a boost gauge and such. What do you think about this idea, has any one else gone this route?

BTW this is the turbo timer I'm looking at .. any suggestions on some others I should look at?

http://www.jscspeed.com/index.html?/...itz_timers.htm

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wrx's do not need turbo timers. It is a waste of money.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    +1

I'm kind of confused what your trying to do because you said you wanted a blitz turbo timer instead of a remote start but those aren't really 2 comparable items, they have 2 different purposes.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    +2. Really.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    I'm kind of confused what your trying to do because you said you wanted a blitz turbo timer instead of a remote start but those aren't really 2 comparable items, they have 2 different purposes.

+1 to both of those.
    TT's and remote starts are completely different things. Are you just trying to find something you can spend money on that'll be easy to install?
    Put it towards something that will enhance the performance of the car. The stickies in the Engine Performance forum are a good place to look for mods of that kind.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Well I guess I didn't make it clear I'm sorry. I've seen turbo timers which will allow you to turn a car on and remove the key and the car will stay on for a set period of time. If you put the key back in, you can then move the car. I want to install a TT so I can start my car, let it warm up in the winter, or turn the AC on and let the car cool down in the summer. I want to do this cause here in NY it gets TOOO TOO cold to just turn on the car and leave. Summers can get a bit toasty too. Installing a TT will give me that function. I need a way to prevent some one from stealing my car while its on. Thats my goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mello View Post
    Well I guess I didn't make it clear I'm sorry. I've seen turbo timers which will allow you to turn a car on and remove the key and the car will stay on for a set period of time. If you put the key back in, you can then move the car. I want to install a TT so I can start my car, let it warm up in the winter, or turn the AC on and let the car cool down in the summer. I want to do this cause here in NY it gets TOOO TOO cold to just turn on the car and leave. Summers can get a bit toasty too. Installing a TT will give me that function. I need a way to prevent some one from stealing my car while its on. Thats my goal.
    I see.

Personally I would just go with a remote starter, but this method might prove more efficient for your purposes.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

use an intelligent cycle on the remote start - I've seen this done - don't know how - ask an installer

here's the process in use

1. park and pull up ebrake (I'm guessing the ebrake is wired somehow)
    2. turn key to off (engine still runs)
    3. get out and shut door - push lock button
    4. alarm arms and car keeps running on timer set by alarm

This assures the car was left out of gear.

1. push buttons 1 + 2 on remote to start car
    2. car starts
    3. push unlock button
    4. get in, put in key turn to on position and undo ebrake
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    use an intelligent cycle on the remote start - I've seen this done - don't know how - ask an installer

here's the process in use

1. park and pull up ebrake (I'm guessing the ebrake is wired somehow)
    2. turn key to off (engine still runs)
    3. get out and shut door - push lock button
    4. alarm arms and car keeps running on timer set by alarm

This assures the car was left out of gear.

1. push buttons 1 + 2 on remote to start car
    2. car starts
    3. push unlock button
    4. get in, put in key turn to on position and undo ebrake
    That does sound nice .. I have heard of different methods and things people use but I need to find that particular model of an alarm/remote starter that will work. I do know the TT will work for me .. just it isn't the "most ideal" method.

Quote Originally Posted by Mello View Post
    That does sound nice .. I have heard of different methods and things people use but I need to find that particular model of an alarm/remote starter that will work. I do know the TT will work for me .. just it isn't the "most ideal" method.
    Well, honestly if you want the most ideal method, simply wire in a switch for the ignition, use the key to start the car, flip the switch, take key out - lock doors and walk away. Just don't forget it's running.

I did this in an old Grand Prix I once had - it worked great, unlike the rest of the car.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Well, honestly if you want the most ideal method, simply wire in a switch for the ignition, use the key to start the car, flip the switch, take key out - lock doors and walk away. Just don't forget it's running.

I did this in an old Grand Prix I once had - it worked great, unlike the rest of the car.
    Key thing is not forgetting, or something coming up. Say when I start my car something happens and it pulls me away from the car, and I can't turn it off for what ever reason. It'll stay running that whole time, wasting gas and so on. Also some one can still break into the car and drive off. Where as with the TT or remote starter when the car I believe ether goes in gear or the ebrake is moved or gas pedal is pressed (don't remember which) the car should turn off.

if your still wondering after five years, i do this with my blitz dual turbo timer. im now looking for a security and remote start system that will allow for the turbo timer