please help with some advice
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on please help with some advice within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey im new to the forum and im looking into buying a sti in a few months. the advice that ...

please help with some advice

hey im new to the forum and im looking into buying a sti in a few months. the advice that i want is: is there any year that i shouldn't buy? is there any year that is better then the rest to get? is the car a good car in general, not a lot of comman problems? thats all i want to know any advice will be taken so please help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

all model years are exactly the same...only difference is the 04s and 05s had different front and rear bumper parts.

as for what to look for - if you are looking for used, you have to watch out for mods and modified cars that were "returned to stock".

I would seriously re-consider buying a used WRX or STI - you can do a lot better and have a more reliable car for the same money. This is really one of those cars you dont want to buy used because with VERY few exceptions you will never know what the car has been through. A lot of kids are getting these cars now, they beat the crap out of them and dont see any problem with "dumping" it on someone...these are the same people that abuse the car to the point of failure, and then take it to the dealer and demand that they fix it under warranty. I just wouldnt buy one used.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Banned
    with that in mind Blarg, what do you think about low mileage, certified pre-owned vehicles with full maintainence history???

Quote Originally Posted by Maccgyver View Post
    with that in mind Blarg, what do you think about low mileage, certified pre-owned vehicles with full maintainence history???
    I'm not saying there aren't any "clean" Subaru's out there, I'm saying the odds of finding one are much lower on Subarus than with other cars.

Hey, I sold my car with 100k miles on it...it had mods, and it was absolutely flawless and the buyer is absolutely thrilled with it (just emailed me a few days ago and said so), there are certainly decend used Subaru's out there.

Finding a "good" used car is hard - add on top of that the fact that a good percentage of them get modded/abused/driven by teenagers who don't yet have a gasp on responsibility, and its just not a fun car to buy used.
    Last edited by blarg; 11-03-2006 at 09:03 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    i've searched cars.com before and found a few scooby dealers with low mileage 06 STi's (3-6k miles) on them at under $30k

also the '04 has the same pcd 5x100 as the rest of the wrx imprezas , whereas the 05 /06 STi's have a slightly wider track and come with a pcd of 5x114.3
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Agreed...

I almost bought a White 05 STI. The sales guy took me for a test drive, it had allot of miles. Over 18K miles for a year old car. The body molding on the driver side was chipped. It had some lame rims (not stock) and some very cheap no name brand tires. It pulled a little. The dealer really wanted to sell the car. It was only a little less than an 06 at another dealer.

I went to that dealer and drooled over the brand new 06. I bought it at a good price compred to that 05. I love the 06.

Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    all model years are exactly the same...only difference is the 04s and 05s had different front and rear bumper parts.

as for what to look for - if you are looking for used, you have to watch out for mods and modified cars that were "returned to stock".

I would seriously re-consider buying a used WRX or STI - you can do a lot better and have a more reliable car for the same money. This is really one of those cars you dont want to buy used because with VERY few exceptions you will never know what the car has been through. A lot of kids are getting these cars now, they beat the crap out of them and dont see any problem with "dumping" it on someone...these are the same people that abuse the car to the point of failure, and then take it to the dealer and demand that they fix it under warranty. I just wouldnt buy one used.
    2006 STI

Hawk-Eye Alliance #34

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    I'm not saying there aren't any "clean" Subaru's out there, I'm saying the odds of finding one are much lower on Subarus than with other cars.

Hey, I sold my car with 100k miles on it...it had mods, and it was absolutely flawless and the buyer is absolutely thrilled with it (just emailed me a few days ago and said so), there are certainly decend used Subaru's out there.

Finding a "good" used car is hard - add on top of that the fact that a good percentage of them get modded/abused/driven by teenagers who don't yet have a gasp on responsibility, and its just not a fun car to buy used.
    No I definitely agree that they are few and far between, but one of the reasons I went with a wrx wagon was that I knew wagons generally were owned by older individuals for the most part. 41 year old mom owned my car before me and had it maintained religiously. I had detailed records which was essential to me. Not to mention wagons are F'IN HOTTTT!!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    That's interesting. I wonder if anyone has done demographic research on the ages of WRX wagon owners vs. sedans.

My wagon was bought with 60K on the clock. So far, so good. It didn't have any of the "tell-tale" signs of previous exhaust mods, ie, hacked or missing heat shield, etc., though it did come with AEM pullies already on the car.

Oh well, if it breaks, I'll fix it with teh fastarr parts.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    also the '04 has the same pcd 5x100 as the rest of the wrx imprezas , whereas the 05 /06 STi's have a slightly wider track and come with a pcd of 5x114.3
    Yes and going along those same lines, one of the reasons Subaru decided to change to the 5x114.3 bolt pattern was to help ease stress on wheel bearings. Not a big deal if you're just daily driving the car, but it could be should you decide to do any kind of serious racing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    WORLD ONE PERFORMANCE
    Phone: 253.336.5449
    AIM: WorldOneArmin
    World One Performance Blog | Customer/Employee Gallery
    Building Award-Winning Subarus since 2002, with the track record to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    That's interesting. I wonder if anyone has done demographic research on the ages of WRX wagon owners vs. sedans.

My wagon was bought with 60K on the clock. So far, so good. It didn't have any of the "tell-tale" signs of previous exhaust mods, ie, hacked or missing heat shield, etc., though it did come with AEM pullies already on the car.

Oh well, if it breaks, I'll fix it with teh fastarr parts.
    mine too mine had just under 50k, but i know it was a guy that had it before me. i have no idea how old he was but he had a III after his name lol. he was doing some mods, but i do figure if something breaks i can get the faster parts

around here there tend to be people that get rid of their STI's because they can't afford the payments. that's usually what it come down to, not necessarily to dump it on someone after they beat the piss outta it.
    Sarah
    Blobeye Syndicate #69

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by stay-up View Post
    hey im new to the forum and im looking into buying a sti in a few months. the advice that i want is: is there any year that i shouldn't buy? is there any year that is better then the rest to get? is the car a good car in general, not a lot of comman problems? thats all i want to know any advice will be taken so please help.
    The 06s have the best center differential to date. It has updates that solve the hesitation when getting on the throttle and is better at managing the torque split. The 05s got the nicer interior than the 04s and Id say that the 04s were the 'worst' year for the STis so far becuase they only got faster from there. Any problems were fixed and the diffs were enhanced.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    i've searched cars.com before and found a few scooby dealers with low mileage 06 STi's (3-6k miles) on them at under $30k

thats what im looking for. my plan is either look at it for evidence of old mods, or if its out of the state have someone from a forum check it for me. def. want to make sure im coming back with a car before i buy a ticket somewhere.

And ive heard a lot of people say that buying a used sti is safer than a used wrx because they are built tougher therefore could handle a little more hard driving without damage. and if they have low miles, (under 10k) and u can find out the age of prev. owner u can figure out the odds it had mods or not. for some of us used will save thousands. theres a lot of used 06s for 29k and new is like 32k. thats a big diff.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.