Changing my transmission oil in 02wrx
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Changing my transmission oil in 02wrx within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok, i got the oil. I know what to do exactly, just have a question or two... 1. Should i ...

Changing my transmission oil in 02wrx

Ok, i got the oil. I know what to do exactly, just have a question or two...

1. Should i have the front of the car lifted when letting the oil drain, or should i try and keep the car level'd?

2. Do i HAVE TO remove the Intercooler to put in the new oil?

3. Last time i seemed to have a little trouble taking out the intercooler. Any help? I know there is only x2 bolts holding it down, then there is 1 hose going to the turbo, 1 hose going to the manifold?(or something like that), and is there anything else holding it in place? Or do i just have to give it a little rumble and get it out?

Thanks for the info.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

unless you can fit under your car without a jack, then you dont need 1, and you dont need to remove the IC, just find a funnel that will fit into the dipstickhole and youll be good
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

The car must be level when you fill it. I would have the front slightly lower when you drain so that you can get all of the oil out of the tranny. Take it for a couple mile drive before you drain it to heat up the transmission oil (helps it flow and helps get solvents out of the case that stick to the insides).

Clean the plug with some rags. Throw them away, try not to get too much of that metal on the magnet on your skin or all over the place, its pretty nasty and caustic. After you've drained it (let it drip for at least 20 minutes), put a half full glass of water in the cup holder and jack the end up to get it level. Watch the water to make sure that its pretty level in the glass to gauge it. I have an inclined driveway and this helped tremendously.

When filling, I use one of those walmart funnels with the long clear tube on it (it also has a screen inside that will catch anything that might fall into the funnel). Take the black tip off the tube, the tube fits perfectly inside the dipstick/filler hole a couple of inches. Fill it with about 3.5qt. then (if you've done your diff already, and fill it slowly, cold 90w is pretty slow to drain), take it for a drive and heat up that oil. Again, park it on a level surface and check the gear oil when its hot. Adjust the level accordingly.

btw, no need to remove anything except for the drain plug and the dip stick......

When doing the diff, make sure the back of the car is lower than the front, to get all the oil out. You dont have to have this as level. Put the drain plug in (after being cleaned) and fill it with .8qt or until it starts to spill out of the fill hole. Thats not a fun one to fill.....but at least the diffs on these cars have drain/fill plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by udelslayer
    (if you've done your diff already, and fill it slowly, cold 90w is pretty slow to drain),.

huh?

So take it for a drive to heat up oil, let it drain, dont get nothing on yourself, let it sit for 20 min draining, fill it up 3.5quarts, take it for a drive, and check level's.

Do i have to change the rear diff oil once i change the tranny oil ?
    And should i use the same one?

First, I want to ask you a bunch of questions, and I want to have them answered IMMEDIATELY!....Who is your daddy and what does he do? What oil are you using.... You can use the same in the rear, but that depends on your type. I put redline 75w90NS in the trans and 75w90 in the rear. The ns does not have the friction modifiers. Friction modifiers make trans oil more slippery.

Yes, you want to drain the trans oil after its warmed up a bit. Remember to keep it level and when you fill that you fill, it will probably not take a full 3.7. I found that 3.5 was exactly what i needed in my trans....perhaps I didnt drain all the fluid out, and there is probably some bound to the gears/casing but remember you always check it when hot because everything expand AND you want the measurement when you've got the gears coated in oil.

oh and yes, you should do the trans and diff in the same interval.

Quote Originally Posted by udelslayer
    First, I want to ask you a bunch of questions, and I want to have them answered IMMEDIATELY!....Who is your daddy and what does he do? What oil are you using.... You can use the same in the rear, but that depends on your type. I put redline 75w90NS in the trans and 75w90 in the rear. The ns does not have the friction modifiers. Friction modifiers make trans oil more slippery.

Yes, you want to drain the trans oil after its warmed up a bit. Remember to keep it level and when you fill that you fill, it will probably not take a full 3.7. I found that 3.5 was exactly what i needed in my trans....perhaps I didnt drain all the fluid out, and there is probably some bound to the gears/casing but remember you always check it when hot because everything expand AND you want the measurement when you've got the gears coated in oil.
    Who is your daddy and what does he do? What oil are you using.... LOL
    I got the Redline MT-90 75w90 im guessing.... now, u missed of one my questions...

Should i, or Do i HAVE to change my differential oil aswell? Or can i leave it as is for now, since its my tranny thats giving me the problems. here...

Oh... well dont use the 75w90 in the trans!!!! Use that in the diff.

USE 75w90NS. NS is for the non slipping version. If you're having problems, I'd really consider using 1qt of Redline Super Lightweight Shockproof and the rest 75W90NS. If that doesnt work, use the scotty coctail (but i have no experience with that engineer).

You dont have to change the diff, but if you're doing one (unless you just changed it) you might as well do the other.

You may want to look into some redline lightweight shockproof.
    Lightweight shockproof = good stuff
    06-wrx: stage 2 and loving every minute of it!

BTW, the Super Lightweight Shockproof is in a yellow bottle and is a 75w90NS oil, but its got a solid particles suspended in it as a pressure addiditive and to keep the gear teeth from meshing while its going into gear. Its like microbearings that help the teeth/synchros fit into their place. Just dont use the shockproof in a 6mt (STi) trans. I dont know the affects that would have on the trans oil pump, it may clog the screen.

actually, i'm curious how many people are running super lightweight shockproof and for how long. I've been thinking of putting that in my box if it inproves the smooth gear on gear action..... I've got the ns in there only right now. I dont have grinds, but damn is that box crunchy...

Quote Originally Posted by 06-wrx
    You may want to look into some redline lightweight shockproof.
    Lightweight shockproof = good stuff
    is the Redline Lightweight Shockproof 75w90ns for the differentials?
    And is there one or two differentials (sorry im a newb).
    How many quarts do i need?

So far i just changed my transmission fluid to Redline MT-90, but it doesnt seem to be much different, 3rd accelerating and switching to 4th still grinds, sometimes a little less, but doesnt seem like its much different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast