Subaru WRX Forum banner

So it took 7 months... but my WRX 2017 Limited CVT let me down

4K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  mjmwrx 
#1 ·
I was on interstate 84 driving to work and I needed to pass some traffic and re-merge into the slow lane. My speed: 65. So I attempt to do this and my car nearly red lined trying to get to 73+ mpg so I could pass, I layed off, since I don't need a blown engine and it was a sobering moment.

At least it has AWD and I feel comfortable commuting in it.. but.. wow... even my volvo c30 never did that...

My work pals all told me its the CVT and to try to use it in the ****ty manual mode but I doubt its that.

#2 ·
......What?

#3 ·
apparently from a roll WRX.. won't budge if you push.

If I was comfortable with manual driving to work I should have gone with the sti..

#8 ·
It's the CVT. They jump to high RPM in an attempt to maximize power - immediately. Whether or not it really does this is really immaterial. The unnerving whine is unquestionably unnatural-sounding to a car enthusiast. It reminds me of a joke among friends years ago about who would have the fastest rubber-band powered car. My wife has a Legacy with a CVT transmission. I hate driving that car.

#10 ·
you wont redline a CVT. as Chris said they jump to the highest RPM to a maximize available power and stay there. you were in no danger of blowing it up, but unfortunately the stock tune is on a downward slope for HP and TQ after 4500-5000 rpms and they dont have much to give in situations like that so you need a lot more room to pass

#16 ·
mjmwrx said:
Hate to say i told you so but I think you just realized how slow your car really is. I made that discovery immediately after the break in period. I don't think it has anything to do with it being a CVT either. My manual is a dog at Highway speeds.
If you dislike your car so much, why don't you trade it in and get something different?

#17 ·
I don't dislike it. It looks cool...it turns great...I like it just fine. However it is slow. So I am getting rid of it. .. because if I'm going to have a slow car I might as well have a much smaller payment. Or keep the same payment and get a truck.

Again, I didn't start this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.