Subaru WRX Forum banner

2017 WRX MPG

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  TH1slowGTR 
#1 ·
Hello all, I know there's a decent amount of threads with a similar topic but I had a few different concerns. Well first off, this is my first Subaru and WRX. It is a 2017 WRB Limited CVT.
It roughly has 730 miles on it now, but I seem to getting poor gas mileage. I from Philadelphia, but live 20 minutes away from the city more of a suburbs setting. I have it on intelligent mode, I don't have a heavy foot and only sometimes go above 3k RPM. And right now my game mileage is at 15 MPG which I think is horrible. the first few hundred miles I was getting 21-22 but don't know what happened. Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
Tyler

#2 ·
Are you doing more local driving now than before? The CVT is rated at 17/24 (respectively), also running 91 or 93 octane?

Can check tire pressure and or the air filter but I figure with 730 miles on the car the AF couldn't be it. Could also be the screwed up temps we've had so far this winter. Also I'm in NJ, I k ow gas stations started pumping out their winter blend gas that is refined using Butane to combat emissions and vapor venting purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Well, I wouldn't say local because there a lot of streets I can travel 35-40mph for 15 minutes and not constantly stopping. But also, I did hear after the first 1,000 miles (break in period) you start to get better gas mileage but I have been using 91, put 93 in the other day and seems to be getting a lot better. I know other CVT owners and they get around 23 overall. I use Sunoco gas as well which isn't bad.

#4 ·
15 is horrible for any modern sedan in any season with any tires. If you are filling up with at least 91 octane from a reputable station and have confirmed the lousy mileage by calculations not just relying on the car's electronics, I think you have a problem and should take it to the dealer.

I have the 6MT and get almost 25 MPG on a consistent basis with all kinds of driving in and around the city.

Seriously, the only time I've gotten 15 MPG in a vehicle I drove frequently was my fiancee's Avalanche pulling a trailer. Even our RV--a 10,000-lb Itasca Navion with a Mercedes Sprinter diesel engine--gets more than 15 MPG!

#6 ·
Doctor Jeff-

My calculations are correct, not that hard to crunch numbers and I monitor it each time I filled up. Also I have been using 91 gas from Sunoco which reputable gas station but I put 93 in yesterday and it looks pretty good thus far will update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.