Subaru WRX Forum banner

WRX vs Godzilla R34 GTR on paper

3K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  TH1slowGTR 
#1 · (Edited)
I just love the R34, I have been youtubing the crap out of it, and just a little shocked at the power output in stock trim. So I wanted to see a comparo to my daily driver. 2016 base model WRX. Figured I would just type it out for you guys to see and comment also. So what makes the GTR that much better, or should I say wanted? the twin turbo, or just the ability to tune it to big HP!

2016 WRX
Drivetrain All Wheel Drive
Length, Overall (in) 180.9
Width, Max w/o mirrors (in) 70.7
Height, Overall (in) 58.1
Horsepower @ RPM 268 @ 5600
0-60 5.2 sec
0-100 mph: 13.1 sec
1/4 mile 13.7 @ 100 mph
top speed 145-155 depending on what review you read

2002 GTR R34
driven wheels Full Time 4WD
length 4600 mm / 181.1 in
width 1785 mm / 70.3 in
height 1360 mm / 53.5 in
Horsepower 205.8 kw / 276.0 bhp @ 6800 rpm
0 – 60 mph 5.2 seconds
0 – 100 mph 13.0 seconds
0 – 1/4 mile 13.7 seconds
top speed 249.4 kph / 155.0 mph

See less See more
#4 ·
Superior ATTESSA AWD system and Getrag close ratio 6spd to name a few. You had the famous RB26DETT motor that was tuner friendly and responded phenomenally to basic bolt ons, the actual output was 320BHP which was upped from the previous GTR R33 model, but due to the laws in Japan they could only advertise 276HP.

The 0-60 speed was based on the advertised calculation of the HP that Nissan provided, it posted around 4.9s

My friend has a 1999 Nissan Skyline GTR R33 in white over here in Jersey. It is bone stock but the exhilaration is amazing. Anywhere you go heads turn, which is the downside of owning one in the states because a every FF fan comes out. He's in the Airforce, had it delivered when he left Yakota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I'm resisting the urge here...

You are putting far too much emphasis on something we call "magazine racing," and that is comparing just numbers. You can compare numbers on paper until you're blue in the face and still won't come up with a reason why one car is considered a driver's car over another. Take, for example, the MX-5 Miata... easily one of the best driver's cars on the planet. And yet, on paper, the Honda Accord would be "better" in the methodology you are trying to enforce. Apply the same strategy to the Porsche Boxter or the Lotus Elise. Let me illustrate why this is so bad.

2016 Challenger Scat Pack
Drivetrain Rear Wheel Drive
Length, Overall (in) 197.7
Width, Max w/o mirrors (in) 75.7
Height, Overall (in) 57.0
Horsepower @ RPM 485 @ 5500
0-60 4.2 sec
0-100 mph: 10.3 sec
1/4 mile 12.6 sec @ 112.3 mph
top speed 175mph

Why on Earth would you want to buy a WRX?!?! See?

Also, I just noticed that manufacturers seem to love "7" in vehicle dimensions.

#7 ·
2016 Challenger Scat Pack
Drivetrain Rear Wheel Drive
Length, Overall (in) 197.7
Width, Max w/o mirrors (in) 75.7
Height, Overall (in) 57.0
Horsepower @ RPM 485 @ 5500
0-60 4.2 sec
0-100 mph: 10.3 sec
1/4 mile 12.6 sec @ 112.3 mph
top speed 175mph

Why on Earth would you want to buy a WRX?!?! See?
Mer'ka. Where fast is determined by how quickly a car can go in a straight line from 0-60mph. For the advanced mouth breathers, fast may also be determined by a cars ability to run the 1/4 mile time.

#6 ·
I know two people who have been to Australia and have had the luxury of driving a gtr, both had the exact same response. They feel heavy, and slow. I'm not one to crap on every ricer and JDM fanboys dream, but outside of those circles I've not heard much praise for them.

People mistake power and arbitrary performance metrics for making a vehicle fun to drive. There is way more to it than that. My bmw would roast my Subaru around a corner. The wider vehicle and substantially wider tires allowed me to get around a corner with very heavy lateral g, however the smaller more nimble wrx is way more fun blowing around the same corner 10mph slower.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Yep, I understand magazine racing, not my intent, was looking at the GTR and started seeing similarities to the WRX times, which started the topic.
Straight line speed is not something I'm interested in either (don't get me wrong, if I had $100 grand to spend a G35 GTR would be in my garage right now). I have a fairly fast sedan, and a mid pack naked sport bike. When I buy I look for thrill and agility, not death or 175mph. I do enjoy running them up when the road is empty however. :)

#9 ·
The Skyline and the Supra are really the original Japanese super cars. Nissan dominated racing back in the 80's 90's, they are also huge tuner cars and as crazy as it is, still relevant in car comparison now days. Stock blocks can make a decent amount of power and it doesn't take a whole lot to make power.
It's the fan base that keep these cars around and still being talked about today. Will their popularity every fade, probably not. Enthusiasts are why a MKIV Supra still sells for 30-60K and why a Skyline R32,33,34 still sells for 20-60K.

#12 ·
Important to remember that the R34 was introduced, what, 17 years ago? Think about what it had, in terms of what was being sold along side of it, in 1999, not what we have, now.
I never lusted after Skylines, the way most do, for some reason. I have to drive something before I get really excited about it. And no, not in a video game. :wiggles:
Maybe I'd "get it" if I got some wheel time.

#13 · (Edited)
I'd love a BNR32 shod in Calsonic livery. But I'm a curmudgeon. Most people lust after Skylines if only because Paul Walker.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

#15 ·
That was a pretty sweet one, I fell in love with them back in sometime around 93' when the JUN and Top Secret cars were out there. But I knew I was going to be waiting and waiting till we could get them here.

I really like the old old ones from like the 70s back. I'm not familiar with the model designation but there are several generations with the forward side view mirrors. They are all good looking

That is the KPGC-10 in the 2dr model. I love those cars, they prices of those are out of control and this point lol. Anywhere from 45K-150K!!!

#14 ·
I really like the old old ones from like the 70s back. I'm not familiar with the model designation but there are several generations with the forward side view mirrors. They are all good looking

#17 ·
The stock numbers don't mean much. You'd be scared to take a wrx to half what a lot of gtrs and supras are built to.
I knew a guy who built his supra to 900 whp and wrecked all kinds of super cars. His story isn't uncommon, even on the low end of some people's expectations. Its pretty much expected when you see a supra at an event. Of course his engine needs to be rebuilt very often.

Also most people like the attention. The wrx is so common recently. If you drive a skyline, I can't imagine not finding a small crowd everytime you go back to your parked car. Some people go on sports car forums to brag about how mature they are wanting a discreet car, but I bet they all feel damn good when people complement their cars.

Also

#18 ·
That is not always the case with Skyline owners. I'd say 85% of people probably have no idea what a Skyline is and it will go unnoticed 90% of the time. Of course just like car, there are always going to be those attention seeking owners. Sure if you go to a car meet or some where there are car enthusiasts and you will likely have people come over and ask you questions and want to talk to you, but that goes for any cool car or something that people don't see everyday. I couldn't even tell you the last time I have had the Typhoon at a car meet or a show, I usually just drive it around like normal and it goes unnoticed 90% of the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.