Subaru WRX Forum banner

NEW WRX OWNER....POSSIBE DILEMA

3K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  mjmwrx 
#1 ·
Whats up fellas. About 3 weeks ago I picked up my 2017 black wrx limited from Ramsey with 7 miles on it. I was going to post pictures immediately but ever since they did the password resets on here I haven't been able to start or respond to threads via my cell phone...its weird, the text box turns gray and I cant get my cursor in it. Anyway, posting from my laptop or else Id add some pics.

Anyhoo....I like the car a lot. It looks sick, the interior is way better than I expected and it handles and drives great. That said I'm really disappointed with the acceleration. Granted I'm still in my 1000 mile break in period, but I've been getting on it pretty good up to 4000 rpms and although it's kind of quick I wouldn't call it fast. That coupled with all the threads Ive read on here on how it doesn't really accelerate more after 4500 rpms leads me to believe I've seen what this car is made of.

I didn't buy this car expecting it to be a vette or a viper...or even a mustang gt. But, I did expect that when I hammered on the gas I would get put back in my seat and feel somewhat excited about the power and that's not the case. It does accelerate nicely it seems in 4th gear if I'm doing about 40 and get on it. I haven't tried to launch yet obviously...still at 650 miles.

So I know I could throw several grand into it and make it faster but the car is brandy new, and I really don't know if I wanna mess with my warranty. Especially because it still might not seem fast when I'm done...Ive heard a lot of disappointed posters on here after they made some upgrades.

I really like the looks and the way it handles but I wouldn't go out and spend 30k if I new that's all I was buying. I could get a nice ride and style from a used 10k accord. Nothing is off the table here. I'm definitely going to give it another couple months to see if it is better after the breakin or I grow to appreciate it more. I put down a hefty down payment and get a great price on it, so I could sell it and my feelings wouldn't be too hurt over the loss. I'm in no hurry so I can wait for a serious buyer. I would consider trading it in but I cant think of a "fast" car out there that would work for me. Rear wheel drive wont work, I don't want a bigger payment, etc. I do like the chevy Colorado trucks...that would be giving up on the dream of a fast car but hey **** happens. I could sell it, pick up a ten grand car and that would still be a major upgrade over my previous ride.

So that's my dilemma. I appreciate the advice Ive gotten here, figured Id throw it out to you guys. Maybe I can expect for from it after the breakin? Funny, I don't really mind the stock radio...works fine for me.

See less See more
#2 ·
I believe what your reffering to is the way the car produces its torque. In recent years prior you would essentially get a 'power spike' that would push you back into the seat. With the '15 WRX they did away with the spikey turbo in favor of a more flat torque curve. So instead of a spike of power you have a nice flat power band, and torque all over the rev range. From what I've heard most people that were thinking of buying a '15 went with the '14 instead for this reason and because with the '15 you lose the unequal length headers that give it the signature subbie rumble. So the torque doesn't feel as hard, but its there and the car is plenty quick you just don't feel it as much in the seam of the pants due to how its arranged. I'm sure a tune could fix that though, but I wouldn't do that till you have used up the warranty period.

This is just from what my research from last year showed me. I have not driven the 2015 so I honestly can't verify weather the claims are true or not. Anyways I hope you enjoy your car and that picture thing should fix itself after everyone changes passwords and such, shouldn't be too long. One would hope anyways.

Reactions: WRX-maniac
#3 ·
The power curve is flatter, and the wrx really isn't that fast in a straight line or from a roll, if you are expecting that you are in the wrong car.

Some folks have had better feel using the stage 1 map from cobb, however others don't like it. It's also not warranty friendly.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I read yours and others warnings before I bought it that it isn't very fast but I thought it was all relative. I have ridden in corvettes, mustang gt's, a ctsv, a terminator 600 hp mustang....I didn't expect it to be anything like those. I've also ridden in a evo and I thought it would be slightly slower than that but the evo was a beast compared to my wrx.

#5 ·
Another thing to consider is your butt dyno isn't always accurate in an awd as they tend to pull and accelerate in a unique and even manner. Also, once you're through your break in period, you will get to accelerate from higher rpms which means you can accelerate once you're in lots of boost which is when you really feel some power.

#6 ·
Don't write off the wrx just yet. What Polk said is pretty accurate. The 15+ wrx's are equipped with an equal length exhaust manifold instead of the unequal length like its older siblings and its counterpart, the STi. However, for some of the reasons Polk also pointed out, the EL manifold is better in every way compared to the UEL because it does deliver a little more power, a much smoother exhaust flow, quicker turbo spool, and more linear powerbands.

But the other major contribution is the stock mapping on the ecu. Subarus stock tunes have always left a lot to be desired. Not really Subaru's fault, its really America's fault as every car sold in the US must pass strict emissions laws. I know you said you really do not want to void warranty, but instead of taking a loss, no matter how large, I would suggest you buy the accessport and flash the stage one map. It WILL change how the car drives and give you a noticeable punch over the stock tune. You do not need an intake or any other performance part to go stage one. You can keep the car completely stock. If after the stage one flash from the AP, if you still are not happy then flash back the stock map, unmarry the accessport, and trade it in.

#8 ·
I'm waiting to get my AP from Cobb and run the stage one tune. Sitting at 9k miles. She is fun to drive but it does leave some to be desired, the butt dyno is always the most fun to measure with.

#11 ·
Got a long ways to go there my man. Not sure I wanna pay 450 a month for the next 3 years just so I can modify my wrx only to find out its still not that fast or it blows up. If I'm going to pull the plug, I think I should do so soon. Anyone have any suggestions?

#12 ·
The Evo's competition is the STi, if i remember correctly, so the WRX is going to be slower for sure but it shouldn't be miles slower unless the Evo was heavily modified. Stock to stock their pretty close, but I haven't looked at the specs on an Evo in years.

#16 ·
Depends on where you get it. You can find 'em just about everywhere; ebay, craigslist, cobb site, probably on amazon too. Take your pick honestly just make sure its the right one for your year of WRX.

I've seen them for sale anywhere from 300-600 bucks.

#19 ·
Didn't you test drive a WRX before you spent 30K on one? Seems reckless to buy, finance, or lease into a 30K investment and then decide before it's broken in that you don't like it.

I will say, however, that tuning and modifications do generally very much wake a car up, it just depends on what exactly you don't enjoy about the car.

#22 ·
I test drove a 15 and a 16 but the Subaru dealers around here are extremely stingy...I'm 34 and went in with my fiancé so they knew I wasn't some kid joy riding but they still took me on their set test drive course which is all of about 3 miles. After reading all Ive read on here about the breakin period I didn't take it over 3500 as not to damage it for it's eventual buyer...plus I had the salesman with me. It seem really snotty from what I could tell...hell I wasn't even at half throttle or rpm. I didn't realize that half throttle is really full throttle and it levels off after 4500 rpms.

#21 ·
Surprised nobody mentioned these two.

1) It's not the CVT, is it?

2) Doing pulls from 40 in 4th is never going to feel quick. Once you break it in, try doing a pull from around 30 in 2nd... then you'll feel it.

In fact, just don't go WOT before you're in boost.

I've driven the newer WRX and own a 2014. Didn't find the newer (manual) ones to feel any slower, but certainly build power a bit differently. Boost comes on sooner, too. The CVT is a different story. Seems like letting the transmission do all of the work is your best bet for best acceleration, but still doesn't feel as quick.

#25 ·
No, its the 6 speed. It's possible I'm just really ****ty at driving this car also. To me it seems like the car pulls at its best in 4th gear going around 40. Getting on hiways I go from 40-70 in no time. I'll have to try pulling from 30 in second....any other points where you can feel the cars potential? How about launching?

#28 ·
I love my 2017 Limited. Plenty of power to make my daily commute fun and make passing and merging easy, but not so much that I get crappy fuel mileage. My bar was set extremely low, coming to the WRX from a 1998 Toyota RAV4. Would I like having more power that shoves me into my seat? Yeah, but for a daily driver, the WRX is plenty good for me. I am not disappointed in the least.

#42 ·
I completely feel the OP's pain. I have been going through the same thing with my 2016 Limited 6MT. Now that I am at about 2300 miles, I am starting to get a better feeling of how to get it to accelerate and feel quick.

It really depends on how and when you accelerate. It doesn't help that that the throttle mapping isn't linear. I never give it more then 50% throttle, and it seems to accelerate better that way. Also waiting to accelerate hard until you are at around 3000rpm seems to help, and if you do it right, the power dip in 4500rpm isn't as bad.

I feel sometimes like sometimes it is dog slow, and others incredible fast. It just takes some time to get used to how it drives, and how you need to manipulate it to get it to accelerate at its full potential. It is like a challenge, but that is why we drive these cars. They are challenging and engaging to drive, and if you do it properly, you are rewarded. It isn't some big dumb Automatic V8 that only takes you pressing the pedal to the floor to be fast.

Give it some time, there really isn't anything else out there that provides the power, handling, efficienty, and utility of these cars. Plus it is nice having a very basic mechanical AWD System (Full time 50/50 w/center viscous diff), and not some stupid FWD based system that is constantly doing what it thinks is best, which is usually not what is best.

I am really starting to understand though why everyone complains about the stock tune. The AP really does start to sound better and better the more I think about it, but the risk of losing your warranty, and having to deal with potential issues with tunes does sound like a pain. But the idea of a 1:1 pedal to throttle input does sound alluring. It would be nice to easier be able to get the car to do what you want it to.

#44 ·
Yeh I hear you there are definitely times where it feels faster than others but never I still haven't been impressed no matter what gear or rpm I'm at. Some of my best pulls would expected to generate the comment..."wow, this car is pretty quick"...if it was my parents sedan or something. Again, I'll see what happens during break in period.

I'm seriously considering either modifications or selling it. I probably should have kept my paid off civic and got a fast used car that I can drive 8 months a year.

#43 ·
My 2015 is at 30000 miles and I am looking into the accessport. I really love the car as it is now, but am looking to find some gains with some tunes through the accessport. Once out of the break in period, drive it like you mean it. Mine is a daily driver, but that doesnt mean I dont have fun every once and a while. I have no issues hitting the highway at 90 on any standard on ramp. Still have not pushed it past that mark on public roads yet, and let it coast down to the speed of traffic as to avoid those pesky speeding tickets. I can say once I learned how to drive the vehicle, it really felt like I had the right one. Plus, nothing beats throwing snow tires on it and blasting through the wisconsin winters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.