Subaru WRX Forum banner

Any news updates on the 2018 Subaru WRX?

49K views 90 replies 27 participants last post by  Jtesterman14 
#1 ·
I'm looking to put in an order later this year for a 2017 WRX. However, I'm willing to wait until end of the year to put in a 2018 order pending what the 2018 WRX will turn out to be. Has anybody heard any news on changes for the 2018 year? Some of the information I've found online indicates that there may be some more significant redesigning for the 2018 year, including a face lift. I know it's often speculation at this point, but wondering if anybody has heard anything worth sharing?

#2 ·
The 17's just came out a few months ago. Your not going to hear much for a while. Is there anything in particular that you are looking for? When do you plan on putting in your order? Are you hoping for a new body style or an update to the existing one?

#54 ·
The 17's just came out a few months ago.
Six is "a few" in your world? [emoji32]

It's not even 2017 yet. 17's are literally just starting to roll out. It's highly unlikely you'll hear anything more than speculation. Hopefully by the time you order you'll have something concrete :)
Six months ago = just starting? [emoji33]

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
It's not even 2017 yet. 17's are literally just starting to roll out. It's highly unlikely you'll hear anything more than speculation. Hopefully by the time you order you'll have something concrete :)

#55 ·
This is more like it.
Last year, official model info and pricing came out April 15th.

#14 ·
haha everybody knows that unicorn farts have a low flash point, they would clearly be more suitable in a diesel application...

Thanks for the information though! Is that Subaru forecast a Fuji internal document that got leaked or something intended for the public? That's pretty interesting, but not sure I follow the forecasted decline in sales from 19-22 year over year?

#16 ·
Yup.

haha everybody knows that unicorn farts have a low flash point, they would clearly be more suitable in a diesel application...

Thanks for the information though! Is that Subaru forecast a Fuji internal document that got leaked or something intended for the public? That's pretty interesting, but not sure I follow the forecasted decline in sales from 19-22 year over year?
Yes, that's an official forecast from corporate. It's a released document if you're a paying supplier. Information is needed for future product planning.

Sent from my iBrain using telepathy

#17 ·
Go to http://www.cars101.com
Look at "news" for 2017 and previous years. You'll see that the orders are stopped and THEN what's new for the next year's model is released.
Sometimes May. Sometimes sooner.

I plan to order in July for a September arrival. I too wish I knew what was on tap for 2018 . I figure if it's that great a change with stuff I can't live without, I'll bite the bullet and trade up.

#18 ·
Go to Subaru Research Site- specs, prices, options, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013.... Outback, Legacy, Forester, WRX, STI, Impreza, Tribeca, BRZ, XV Crosstrek, Hybrid
Look at "news" for 2017 and previous years. You'll see that the orders are stopped and THEN what's new for the next year's model is released.
Sometimes May. Sometimes sooner.

I plan to order in July for a September arrival. I too wish I knew what was on tap for 2018 . I figure if it's that great a change with stuff I can't live without, I'll bite the bullet and trade up.

Great information in there, thanks!

#20 ·
There's been a lot of rumors (again RUMORS) that the 2018 will introduce a new 2.0L DIT with hybrid boost to the STI to compete with the Focus RS. 2019 will see a brand new WRX design on the new Subaru Global Platform. There's plenty of articles if you Google it. Take it with a grain of salt. Subaru only knows and will only tell the world (us) at a huge launch party at one of the auto shows.
Subaru history has proven that a design lasts a minimum of 5 years before getting overhauled.
Personally I believe that Subaru will go all out on the next STI and WRX. The WRX is rapidly becoming a hot seller and is easily used as a daily driver (hence the reason I bought one). And now there's a ton of competition in the Sporty Car AWD category.
Subaru knows how to make money. Making big changes every several years doesn't make business sense. In my opinion, we'll see a new WRX/STI in 2019 (if not 2020) with the STI getting the 2.0L DIT with hybrid mounted on the new Global Platform. The WRX will see an increase in HP to match or better the GTI. The STI with Hybrid will probably be in the 350+ HP range to match the Focus RS. 50% of the WRX sales were hatchbacks, so I'll also venture to say the hatch will be back!!
I say lease a WRX for three years and buy the new platform when available.

#21 ·
I'm really looking forward to see what Subaru does with the STI in the coming years. I agree that it's only a matter of time before the update their powertrain to something more modern like the 2.0DIT. I'm a little confused by your comment about matching the GTI? I thought the GTI only had like 220hp. Did you mean the Golf R?

#24 ·
Peak numbers are only one small factor in the overall equation. The WRX may have higher peak numbers, but Volkswagen/Audi/Porsche have always lead the arena in terms of torque curve and response.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#33 ·
More explosion more better. If a 2 stroke can put down the power because of twice the number of power strokes, think about a one stroke. I think you referred to it before as project Orion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#38 ·
honestly they should put a v8 in the wrx :)

#39 ·
It's already front heavy enough. I think that they should stick with small liter 4 pots. I'd like to see a sub 2l turbocharged high rpm engine, but the daily drive would be less exciting. Unless they add some level of hybrid system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#42 ·
Not Surprised.

So new STI and WRX design 2021?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.