Subaru WRX Forum banner

Any news updates on the 2018 Subaru WRX?

49K views 90 replies 27 participants last post by  Jtesterman14 
#1 ·
I'm looking to put in an order later this year for a 2017 WRX. However, I'm willing to wait until end of the year to put in a 2018 order pending what the 2018 WRX will turn out to be. Has anybody heard any news on changes for the 2018 year? Some of the information I've found online indicates that there may be some more significant redesigning for the 2018 year, including a face lift. I know it's often speculation at this point, but wondering if anybody has heard anything worth sharing?

#45 ·
Well, 4 years from now I would like to be trading in my 2016 limited WRX for a 300+ hp hybrid WRX that gets 40 Mpg

#46 ·
From Road & Track

Subaru Probably Won't Redesign the WRX Until 2020

Subaru Probably Won't Redesign the WRX Until 2020
But a refreshed version will arrive for 2018.

Subaru just released the 2017 Impreza, but if you're holding out for a new WRX or STI, you'll have to wait a few years. According to the latest report, a redesigned WRX won't arrive until 2019 or 2020.

Speaking to Australia's Motoring, a senior engineer at Subaru put a stop to rumors of a 2018 WRX. "The WRX will have a facelift soon, not a full model cycle, because the new model just launched in 2015," he said. "The full model cycle will be about four or five years, and that's when you'll see a full model."

The way he put it, the issue isn't the cost of turning out a new WRX. It's the amount of time it takes to develop a new model. "You can't shorten that production cycle," he said. "There's many things to consider such as durability testing and likewise. It's not as simple as taking the turbo engine out of one car and presto, off you go."

The good news, though, is that he said the current WRX will get a refresh soon. He said Subaru "would love to have the WRX on the new platform, because the car would be a lot better . . . but the 2018 will be a facelift only."

Exactly what that refresh will entail, he didn't say, but we'd expect slightly more power and revised bodywork. Nothing too crazy. But if we have to wait until 2020 for a new WRX, we'll take what we can get.

via Motor1

#49 ·
Honestly...with Subaru, there's a long history of rumors, of quotes from Subie engineers, from magazines, etc...being completely wrong. I now just wait for official announcements... :rotfl:

They've traditionally been a fairly "opaque" organization. In 2004, when they put the 2.5 liter engine into the STi for the U.S., no one knew 'til the day of the announcement, if memory serves. Everyone thought it would be the 2.0, which was the standard at the time.

#50 ·
They are opaque however predictable. Typically when something new is around the corner my company tools up for the new parts, we have been doing quite a bit for Subaru, but almost entirely for our chassis divisions, and only for the us plants.

That doesn't mean something isn't in the works, but I'm going to assume Subaru is going to work similar to Toyota and Honda where we make prototype after prototype until they accept. We spent months working on NSX stuff, and have worked on what I'm assuming is the Supra from what our r&d guys have told me.

I've seen zero from Subaru, but the Toyota stuff could in theory be for a Subaru vehicle. Typically though our r&d department does limited production vehicle parts for things like the gt350r.

There was rumor we would be considering buying back our cam grinding equipment from the company up the street from us who does other automotive parts like blocks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#53 ·
They are opaque however predictable.
I actually gave you a specific example where they were not predictable. :)

But okay, whatever. Perhaps in recent years everyone knows more before the releases. :shrug:

#56 ·
Your thinking to specific. I'm referring more to upgrade or change timelines. Information. Releases, new model year info sheets.

Much like the Jeep Wrangler, you know exactly what years will see a facelift vs an entire redesign.

Before the wrangler you had the CJ that ran from 76-86 then the wrangler nameplate Yj is an 87-96, TJ 97-06, JK 07-now, and the new one is released in a few months if my memory serves correctly, but may hold the 18 model year.

That type of predictable. You never know what exactly your gonna get, but you have an idea when something may be happening. Everyone has expected a diesel wrangler since the TJ and LJ but we have yet to see one here even though it's been claimed as proven we will for years.

#62 ·
Why? Fuel economy?

if it was coupled with hybrid technology no so bad..

#63 ·
That and weight, and several other performance factors I'm sure are beyond my complete grasp such as higher rpm potential.

If you are putting a hybrid motor on it what's the point of the large engine. You want a small light powerplant. Think BMW i8. My company owner has one and the guys he has let drive it says it goes like nothing you can even imagine. And that's a 1.5 3cyl following BMWs 500cc a cylinder fascination.

#67 ·
The standards to which they calculate the HP numbers were modified some years back. Most vehicles took a large hit to the tune of 10+% to rated horse power. There is a slight possibility Subaru was ahead of the game when it comes to meeting SAE standards however I doubt it, but it's not important.

There is no reason to increase power. Zero logical reason. It tops it's competition, gti, focus st, civic si, Hyundai Veloster, etc. It tops them in advertised numbers and most benchmarks such as quarter mile, and zero to 60. Skid pad is probably lingering at the top as well.

What they do fall flat on their face with is interior quality, and Spartan feel. As much as I hate VW as a company, the WRX isn't even remotely in the league of quality feel. The GTI makes the WRX feel like a yj wrangler.

#69 · (Edited)
What they do fall flat on their face with is interior quality, and Spartan feel. As much as I hate VW as a company, the WRX isn't even remotely in the league of quality feel. The GTI makes the WRX feel like a yj wrangler.
I think I can agree with the other point about power. (I drive a BRZ, so obviously it wasn't my top priority in choosing my sports car). I suppose people do have an expectation of their new, turbocharged sports sedan in the hp department, but the Subies meet that, as said, and if they can continue to deliver a satisfying driving experience with smaller engines, great.

Funny how times change, though, with the demographic that's buying the WRX, in some small ways. The GD WRX's (2002-2007) had interior fit and finish that was best described as "Fisher Price", just really low end, but the rawness and experience of the car made it sell to a particular kind of buyer. Interior remains a lower priority for me, in my daily driver. I would rate my BRZ's as "perfectly acceptable". When I've driven/rented VW's, yeah, I appreciated the nice work inside the car, but it wasn't enough to make me lust after it. Especially when my rental Jetta in Toronto had major electrical issues that nearly killed me on their freeway.

#68 ·
That BMW you compared against is a 146k min car... bad comparison. Great car I am sure.. but out of my league and that of the WRX.

#73 ·
I'm new to Subaru and the WRX. I have my eye on a Limited. After playing with the Sync 3 system with Android Auto I can't get over how bad the infotainment system is in the WRX.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have any information about whether or not Subaru will add the 2017 Impreza radio to the WRX? It seems reasonable that they'd slowly add the new radio to their other vehicles once they have it in their inventory. I also heard the WRX is due for a mid cycle refresh in 2018.

Again, I know it's a long shot. But I've heard sometimes car companies release information to board enthusiasts.

Thanks in advance.

#74 ·
I have no knowledge, but would not be surprised if they put the Android Auto HU in the 2018 WRX.
I was really hoping it would be in my 2017 WRX and am still hoping they're still be an easy way to upgrade, once it is available.
This info should be available in mid/late March to early April on cars101.com.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

#75 ·
These are sport utility cars... known for being underwhelming inside.

Last I checked maybe the highest trim Jeep Cherokee had a decent infotainment system.. and that was like 60k.. so did the Ford explorer.. its also like 50 60 k

I think peoples expectations are just too high lol.. sorry.

#86 ·
This doesn't have anything to do with the Subaru but I figured I give my experience since I bought a brand new 14 Cherokee with the upgraded sound system in it. My jeep is coming up on three years of ownership and I have thoroughly enjoyed the quality of sound and quality of the infotainment system itself I have in my jeep. I got the upgraded sound with the 8in screen and more speakers. I am not an audiophile where I need to blast the music so the neighbors hear it but I do enjoy having a nice balanced system that I can listen to when I drive. The system is great and the infotainment system is responsive with very few issues. The only issues I have had is every once in a while the sound won't come through almost like the system is on mute when it is clearly not and the information the HU normally displays won't come up. Normally after 5-10 mins it clears and everything works fine. I feel its just a glitch upon startup sometimes but it occurs every once in a while so I know there isn't an actual issue. I don't own the highest trim but I am about mid trim. I own the Altitude which is just a blacked out version of the Latitude. Mine is MSRP for about 33k.

#76 ·
I would venture the Android audio head unit will have the same mounting but probably different bezel it should use all the standard Subaru connectors for steering wheel control, GPS, power, speakers, and aux input.

#78 ·
My question would be what are they going for used or from the factory. When I had my wrangler I looked into buying a Mopar satnav factory unit. Dealer wanted upwards of 4k used people asked 2. It was totally absurd.

#80 ·
I would pull the trigger now if I knew I could put in the new factory Android Auto head unit later. However, I wonder if Subaru would make it that easy. The new Impreza center stack looks different enough that I don't think the new 8" radio with the buttons will fit in the space. The buttons are on the bottom of the new radio vs the sides on the current 6/7" radio. Of course anything is possible if you spend enough, just doesn't look like an easy swap.

Great car though! I was cross shopping it with a Focus ST (the car I looked at with Sync 3 and Android Auto). The WRX was such a blast to drive. If it wasn't for the infotainment system I would have purchased it right then! I may wait for the 2018s to roll out. Hopefully they add it next year. I sent Subaru an email with the same question. I'm sure they won't commit, but figured it was worth asking.

#82 ·
This is what I'm counting on.
Since there will be no redesign for 2018, if the Android HU is available on the WRX, hopefully it can be retro fitted with a bezel swap.
I would pull the trigger now if I knew I could put in the new factory Android Auto head unit later. However, I wonder if Subaru would make it that easy. The new Impreza center stack looks different enough that I don't think the new 8" radio with the buttons will fit in the space. The buttons are on the bottom of the new radio vs the sides on the current 6/7" radio. Of course anything is possible if you spend enough, just doesn't look like an easy swap.

Great car though! I was cross shopping it with a Focus ST (the car I looked at with Sync 3 and Android Auto). The WRX was such a blast to drive. If it wasn't for the infotainment system I would have purchased it right then! I may wait for the 2018s to roll out. Hopefully they add it next year. I sent Subaru an email with the same question. I'm sure they won't commit, but figured it was worth asking.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

#84 ·
Yeah, I've looking into some aftermarket head units and using a tablet. The only head unit I like so far is the Sony XAV-AX100. I'm a sucker for a physical volume knob. Only a few month wait for the 2018s to know for sure. It's a real bummer because the dealer had a Limited exactly how I would spec it from the factory. The price was pretty good as well being the end of the year and winter in full swing where I'm located.

Happy New Year to all on the forum!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.