Two Inquiries Regarding 2015+ WRX................
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Two Inquiries Regarding 2015+ WRX................ within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone. I'm about to order a 2017 WRX, and was looking to get some input from current owners. 1) ...

Two Inquiries Regarding 2015+ WRX................

Hello everyone. I'm about to order a 2017 WRX, and was looking to get some input from current owners.

1) Has anyone experienced any issues with ground clearance? The car sits at 4.9" which is lower than most cars out there. I live in NYC where the roads are utter crap, and I really don't want to be scraping all over the place and my bumper catching on everything.

2) Everyone complains about road noise. On my test drive I wasn't able to get it over about 55mph due to congestion. Aside from engine noise/turbo stool I didn't notice any excessive noise (a bit more than my current BMW 5 Series). Does the noise get that bad at speeds of 70mph+? If I need to yell to have a conversation on a road trip I may need to pass.

I appreciate any input/feedback. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome. I'm in Staten Island & work in Brooklyn & haven't had an issue with scraping the bottom of the car because of the ground clearance. You have to watch the pot holes though (of course), with the 18" wheels & low profile tires you really feel it. I've hit a few pot holes and although my tires & wheels are fine 'til now you really feel it bang the car. You just have to take it easy around town which is not easy to do in this car cause you just want to hit the gas, lol.

As far as road noise, It's a little more noticeable than other cars, but not that bad. I don't have to yell when I talk to someone in the car. I guess after a while you get used to it.
    It's Another Day In Paradise.

Water.....sometimes waves rqjoe's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    1) No issues with ground clearance for me. I was concerned about this also before I bought mine but have yet to find it an issue.
    2) Compared to family sedans this car is loud from road and wind noise. But not so loud you have to yell. It is bearable but definitely not made for quietness.

There is a lot of aftermarket support for these cars and you can tweak them in every way imaginable to make them suit your personal tastes/needs. There are several things you can do to help quiet them and also several things you can do to help ground clearance if wanted.

We have a fairly steep driveway approach from the road and my 2015 does not scrape. The front even usually clears parking chocks at parking lots. I wouldn't worry about clearance too much.

As far as road noise, I don't find my car unusually loud. I hear very little wind noise in my car. There is some road noise, but it's not an unusual amount. If you are coming from a Lexus.....sure, it's gonna sound loud. My previous three cars were all MINIs (the last being a drop top), so the wrx sounds and feels pretty refined to my ears in comparison.

I recently had to drive my grandma in her 2011 Accord and holy crap I'm not complaining about interior noise anymore lol. Granted it's much louder than my 15 Si or Silverado were and even my wife's 14 Rav4. I usually have the windows down though so no biggie.

For ground clearance, I live in small town Oklahoma, there are crazy bad dips, pot-holes and even my driveways incline which gets worse every time it rains "dirt road." Never scrapped anything but my mud flaps. The dips and bad roads in the town are bad enough that water hits my bumper when it floods, again never scrapped.

There is one other guy in town with a new wrx "kinda crazy since our local dealer is 70 miles away lol" and hes put a lump on his tire twice "needing the tire replaced" from going too fast over pot holes. No issue here but I'm careful and creep over or avoid them.

1) I did manage to scrape the nose on a particularly steep driveway. Agree with other comments that the nose still clears many curbs/blocks.
    2) Zero complaints on road noise. IMHO, there's a fair amount of engine noise compared to other cars I've driven. It's no worse at high speeds than low, so you've already heard the worst of it.

I've only bottomed out once when I pulled out on to a level road coming from a moderately steep road—there wasn't much transition between the roads at the intersection. As I've run across similar situations, I've been more careful in approaching the intersection at angle and I haven't had anymore problems.

1) no
    2) no
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

Administrator ...De Rerum Natura TheJ's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kprugbyplaya View Post
    1) no
    2) no
    +1

It isn't THAT bad. I wouldn't call it "quiet" though. It is noisy compared to many moderately priced family sedans. It certainly will not be as quite as a 5 series.

The wrx is unique, a great performance value and a fun car but is not designed to be particularly quiet. In spite up losing the "Impreza" badging on the 2015+ models.. It is basically still a tarted up version of an econobox sedan.
    -The J

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    If you choose to add a front splitter (factory or otherwise), your ground clearance will be reduced, but not just by the thickness of the splitter, but when you encounter dips/rises/bumps, because it sticks out further away from your front wheels/tires.

I haven't had an issue with ground clearance unless I'm turning onto a steep incline that I have to hit at an angle but honestly I've only ever had to do that in two of all the places I've been. One is when I'm pulling into the garage at work and the second was this alleyway around Georgetown, DC though my coworkers have both stated they have to hit the hill at an angle unless you have a crossover or SUV.

The road noise is louder than normal but it's not unbearable. You can still have a conversation with your regular voice but compared to my 2015 Legacy it was a noticeable difference. I have an aftermarket speaker setup so my music is always loud so I never even hear the road noise unless I'm enjoying the sound of my engine on a ride home Lol

Only time I notice road noise is when I'm on a road that's very rough in texture. No biggie.
    2017 WRX Limited w/cvt

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Very reassuring info.

Mine had a problem with my drive and I bought the driveway curb bridges (5 sections) to solve for that problem.

Now I am especially glad I have them.
    2016 Camaro SS - 2SS
    2015 Jaguar XF Sport
    2014 Lincoln MKT
    2011 Honda Ridgeline
    Dog Rescue Transport. We drive the get away vehicles.
    Proper number for bicycles, kayaks and cars is N+1

Quote Originally Posted by borderstates View Post
    Mine had a problem with my drive and I bought the driveway curb bridges (5 sections) to solve for that problem.

Now I am especially glad I have them.
    How steep of a driveway do you have? Here are some pics of mine. The driveway entrance/sidewalk is a bit elevated. You think this will scrape?.... http://imgur.com/a/4w4Pb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.