Why is my 2004 so slow?!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Why is my 2004 so slow?! within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So last night I took my 2004 WRX (not STI) to the drag strip. I know these cars aren't drag ...

Why is my 2004 so slow?!

So last night I took my 2004 WRX (not STI) to the drag strip. I know these cars aren't drag cars but I was very disappointed with the outcome. Most good runs were somewhere in the 88mph range. My 60 foot times ranged from 2.228-2.567. My 1/4 mile times ranged from 16.069-16.898. For the two slowest times I missed 3rd gear and finished around 80 mph. All of my times were consistent in both lanes and speeds were pretty consistent on clean runs. I tried launching from 4200 all the way up to 5200 rpm's, but nothing changed. I didn't do the dump clutch type launch, I slipped the clutch a little bit.

When i first purchased my car, I thought it was fast, but after last night, I'm embarrassed. Besides a 96 Jeep Cherokee and a couple of trucks, I was the slowest there. This was my first time at a drag strip, so maybe my starts weren't perfect.

My car is almost completely stock. The only things that have been done are a Perrin catless up pipe, TurboSmart BOV, and an STI exhaust all done by previous owner. Yesterday just minutes before leaving i installed a Cobb Accessport and ran it on the stage 1 91 OTS map. CarandDriver I believe has my car at 14.1, so why was I two whole seconds slower? I did 10 runs and the first was my fastest all night and I was nervous as ever. What can I do to bring down my 60' time as well as increase speed to break 90mph and finish in the high 14's- low 15's or even better? I tried both running all the way to the end in 3rd and also shifting into 4th and both resulted in about the same speed and time. I understand a good launch can bring times down a half second or so, so that would put me in the mid-high 15's.

How much difference do tires and wheels make? I have stock wheels from an 06 and Continental winter tires. Would winter tires vs summer tires really add almost 2 seconds? My first run was 16.069 and the last run was 16.728 but I also had a passenger which added 160 pounds or so. Why is it sooooooo damn slow?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Probably because it's 12 years old and worn out. Also driver mod.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I understand it not a new car, but 12 years really makes that much of a difference? I feel like I could've been faster in a 90's model NA civic.

I'm not sure how much of a role the tires would play but I'd assume winter tires aren't ideal for what you were doing. The age of a car and wear and tear like XJman stated does contribute to lower performance. Maybe it needs a tune up?

My '03 Lexus GS300 Sport Design is rated at 15.5 seconds for 1/4 mile and it has 220hp and is a heavier car I'm sure so it may be the tires and worn engine components. The thing here is you don't want to go on a downwards slope investing money into this car if it's not worth it to do so for the sake of two seconds on the strip.

Yeah, I mean these cars have never been fast perse. Just a little faster than the other econoboxes of their time.

Quote Originally Posted by XJman View Post
    Yeah, I mean these cars have never been fast perse. Just a little faster than the other econoboxes of their time.

There was a guy at IFO in the same year model car running stage 2 and ran in the mid-high 12's, more miles on his car as well. If I did everything through stage 2 would I see a decrease in my time that dramatically?

No. His car is likely in better shape and he is likely a better driver. There is more to a vehicles condition than miles.

A better driver of course, that is to be expected. As far as maintenance goes, is there anything I can do to get it back in "tip-top performance"? When I bought it, it really stood out to me as something that hadn't been neglected. Interior, exterior, and under the hood were all SPOTLESS. Although, I guess cleaning doesn't reflect on maintenance.

Not really. Take it to your local shop and have them do compression and leak down tests. If that winds up OK, loom into checking for vacuum leaks and boost leaks. Other than that fresh fluids helps some. But not seconds worth

Quote Originally Posted by brandonlear View Post
    I understand it not a new car, but 12 years really makes that much of a difference? .
    Depending on how it was maintained you can loose a lot of horses over the years. a proper tune up might do wonders.
    12 years is a long time in car years. How's your compression, Was the trasmission fluid ever changeed, are you getting good boost?
    You really have to look at everything especially with a car that old. Parts wear and even if it's low milage sometimes sitting unused can be worse for a car.

I Support ClubWRX
    What everyone else said....... PLUS take off that bov. Only replace the stock bpv with another fully recirculating bpv.
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    2012 WRB STi Limited Sedan
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Retired and traded.
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...sti-build.html <---- My STi build thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----My WRX build thread

Quote Originally Posted by brandonlear View Post
    My 60 foot times ranged from 2.228-2.567. My 1/4 mile times ranged from 16.069-16.898.
    I don't know the cars as well as others on this forum so I'd take their advice. But just my $.2 I don't think it would hurt to look for some possible unidentified issues as XJman said (boost leak, compression test, etc.) or maybe do some other DIY preventative maintnence like seafoam, fuel system treatment, oil change? That's slow compared to what it should run historically. Another thought would be to have someone else drive your car (without a passenger) that you know is a good driver, just to eliminate the driver error perspective. I have a 2002 Cavalier 5-speed and it runs 16.2 at 86mph with 175k miles consecutively...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.