Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

If I buy an WRX, can I go off-road?

40K views 50 replies 20 participants last post by  SD_GR 
#1 ·
The off-road feature is what really makes me want to get a WRX however I worry that it will ding and scratch my car. And since that would be the case, how do you prevent it? I been watching lot of videos and I see car reviewers put on some vinyl that perhaps may protect the car exterior?

I want to drive my car in mud and snow like a rally car which I'm hoping that the basic low level trim WRX still is?

If none of these things really applies, then I'll just get a Miata.

Thank guys and first time on this forum.

#2 ·
I want to start by saying there is a giant difference between a rally car and your wrx. There is little similar besides the namesake.

You can have fun on some dirt trails, but I can't give you good advice on protection for your paint. That's just part of the game. Even vinyl will get holes and not prevent dents.

Just know that off road driving is brutal on your car. From the vibrations to dirt and grime it beats your car to death.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
The off-road feature is what really makes me want to get a WRX
I am unaware of any off-road feature; however I've only had my WRX for 14 years.

however I worry that it will ding and scratch my car. And since that would be the case, how do you prevent it?
Stay on the road.

I want to drive my car in mud and snow like a rally car which I'm hoping that the basic low level trim WRX still is?
It's a mass-produced Japanese econobox, it's not a rally car.

If none of these things really applies, then I'll just get a Miata.
I'd recommend that instead, yes. They're excellent cars. I prefer the 1,8L to the earlier cars but that's just personal preference.

#6 ·
The car is a blast on gravel / dirt roads but I'd never take it "off road." Shes tough but sits way too low.

That said, I live on a gravel road and have had fun more than once. She just got her first hand wax yesterday and has zero chips thanks to the rokblokz mud flaps. Nice ding in the rear from my basketball goal falling over in a storm..... but nothing due to rocks.

#11 ·
I think the OP needs to clarify what they mean by "off-road".

Off-road, like a dirt road or a well kept fire road? Or, off-road as in rocks, bolders, holes, deep mud, etc...

I take my car on trails when I go car camping, no issues, but occasionally I do need a second set of eyes to get over ruts, rocks or depressions. That, and regular gravel or un-paved snow covered hills in the winter. In those conditions (especially with snow tires in the winter) the car is pretty much unstoppable (assuming you've got enough ground clearance). But, its not an "off-road" vehicle by any stretch of the word. I think a more accurate statement is the WRX may be better "off-road" than many other vehicles in its class, but it is not an "off-road" vehicle.

Careful with unfamiliar gravel or generally un-paved roads. You will tear up the suspension if you hit ruts or bumps going too fast. No different than most cars of its size in that respect.

If you really want to do light off-roading with a WRX, you will need to do quite a bit of work to your suspension. Would be a fun project if one had a spare WRX, deep pockets and lots of time. Or, you can buy a XV crosstrek and do a WRX swap, like this Subaru master tech did.

Subaru Drive Performance - Mods: Crosstrek Body and WRX Soul, a Powerful Combination (13.1)

#12 ·
Over my 20-something years of owning vehicles, the WRX owners have been the most delusional bunch of people I've ever seen.

Why do they refuse to see this car for what it is? It's nothing but a people hauling compact ecobox daily driver.

It's not a Sunday driver, it's not some undervalued supercar and it's definitely not no rally car

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I'm last week's episode of the popular, critically acclaimed TV crime drama, Mike Tyson Mysteries, Mike Tyson mentioned that he was listening to NPR on the radio and driving his Subaru to the car wash, twice a week.

#17 ·
Well Walter also bit off the nihilist pseudo-kidnapper's ear, but in his defense the guy came at him with a sword, had lit the Dudemobile on fire, and had a nine-toed woman.

#33 ·
You've proven nothing to make a point it isnt. It has always been an econobox. Period. If it wasn't an econobox we wouldn't be sitting having this conversation because nobody would pay the 60k this car would cost in non econobox fashion.

The car is inexpensively built. It's evident everywhere. Paint to, engine. I mean do you listen to how little sound deadening your car has? How the interior moans and creaks, the stereo, the interior pannels, seats, materials in general. Everything about the car is econobox. If this hurts your pride im sorry.

To note on the grandma thing. My grandma loves my wrx. She loves the vision, the power, the size. She hates the arm rest though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#35 ·
I'm guessing we're seeing some different definitions of "econobox" at work. I certainly don't consider horsepower as a factor..my last 2002 WRX put down more than 300 to the ground, but when work would take me out of town and put me in a rental Corolla, and its build quality and materials were superior to my car...yep, I'm driving an econobox. :wiggles:

I've never cared.

#37 ·
Definitely different definitions. I've never heard anyone call a 26K car that gets low gas mileage an econobox. That literally flies in the face of an econobox. What XJman is describing is a cheaply built sporty sedan which is a more accurate description of a WRX than "econobox" in my opinion. The prefix "econo" in that term implies not that it's cheaply made but that it is inexpensive to own.

Edit: And yes, I agree. The armrest is laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.