Subaru WRX Forum banner

Potential new 2016 wrx owner - stock tune question (terrible)

10K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Nuked 
#1 ·
Hey guys...

Strongly considering going from my 15 GTI to a wrx. I really do like my GTI but made a mistake getting the DSG; the alternative option is I would get a 16 GTI SE manual with performance pack. I think overall the gti is a far superior package. However, the wrx seems to have an IT factor that is hard to explain. Also, being in the midwest, awd is much appreciated and I miss an awd car... annnnnnnd the biggest factor is insane wrx residual value.

Anyways gti vs wrx could go on forever, I want to get to my question. I've driven the car twice now, the 2nd drive being much better, probably cause I was less out of place and found a good seating position, etc. My main gripe is how on earth did the wrx ever get positive reviews on the stock tune? It is so bad its crazy. At 30% throttle input the boost or power would cut in and out. It just didn't feel smooth or refined at all. And the car just completely dies at 4-5k (which I knew was true). The car just doesn't "feel" fast at all; which is surprising when I watch all these youtube videos and the reviewers are saying how powerful the car feels (my gti's torque seems far more substantial). My salesman even recognized how the powerband was lumpy so I know I"m not crazy. Also, my 2 drives were in different cars and they both did this.

Is that weird powerband normal? Does it get better after break in?

Is the cobb accessport stage 1 tune a 100% improvement in driveability? I likely would get the accessport immediately; add an intake, and get an etune. Can I expect the car to be MUCH improved after intake and proper tune?

Really appreciate everyone's insight and info, thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
I 100% agree that the stock tune is pretty bad. My main complaints were as you pointed out, the throttle positioning as well as the rev hang.

The COBB Stage 1 map fixes these and makes the car 100x better to drive imo. Not to mention adding a little bit of power on the side. The Intake doesn't do much for these cars except give it a meaner sound. The stock box is pretty unrestrictive.

#8 ·
Again, maybe the motor needs to break in but I felt the stock tune was really bad. Partial throttle power delivery was so inconsistent it felt like something was wrong with the car - power cutting in and out. Also throttle position not having a direct correlation to the power being produced is also weird. Seems absolutely worth it to me as the car should've never been released with such a bad factory tune.

I'm going to pm you though to find out your gti to wrx reasons.

#9 ·
No, it doesn't get better after break-in. It just becomes more obvious.
For example: Was coming to a stop at the end of my sub this morning...saw an opening in traffic so I gave it 3/4 throttle to pull out...was still going maybe 6-8 MPH...car practically did nothing for a full 2 seconds. Disconcerting.
This is with a CVT though...in full auto 'S' mode.

#12 ·
Do you have any mods at the moment Jay? I have an ETS CAI and a stage 1 Cobb protune and drive in S# almost exclusively on my CVT WRX. When I'm in your situation you described I "downshift" with a few quick taps of the paddle shifter and I get the power I need immediately, otherwise the car likes to just stay in 6-8th "gear" and do exactly as you described, kinda stay still until it decides "**** I think this dude actually wants to go faster" lol.

#10 ·
The manual may help, but the stock tune is what it is. Throttle hang is real. The 4500RPM-5000RPM flat spot is also real. My friends' Golf R seems to be pretty solid. I know it is more $$$$, but the hit you might avoid by sticking in the VW family might make the difference less.

#11 ·
Yeah I'm not willing to spend the money on a Golf R - I'm really not sure why so many people suggest that, they're completely different price brakcets. Wrx is 28k, golf r is 37k. Now a performance pack/lighting package gti se being the same price as the wrx premium - thats a different story. its very tough for me to look past the overall quality of the gti and how many features it has over the wrx. Leather, fender audio, bigger sunroof, amazing headlights, keyless entry, nice headunit with android auto, amazing stock PP brakes, huge power potential with simply a tune. BUT the wrx has 2 massive features - awd and residual.

Back to the wrx, if the stock tune really is that bad - I'm still kind of amazed the car got so many positive reviews. It was immediately evident as soon as I applied the throttle.

Would you guys agree that the wrx has an underlying personality that really attaches itself to you as you continue to own it? I get the sense thats true, just wanting owners to confirm. (this is a fatal flaw of gti's)

#14 ·
Subaru's, in general, seem to have an IT factor. One of my in-laws has 3 (single older guy) of different types right now. People own X Subies in a row. The WRX is something of a cult within a cult car. Speaking for me, the WRX was an itch I had since I saw the first generation one in the NOLA auto show several years back. It is a bit harsher riding, with enough punch to keep me smiling. The stock tune is what it is.

If the features are needed / wanted, I might suggest looking at the limited. I find the H/K system good enough for the listening environment (WRXs are a bit noisy anyway). True statement is that it is the worst sound system in the fleet, but more than good enough for me on a day to day basis.

#19 · (Edited)
I pretty much JUST made the switch you're describing 2 weeks ago. I came from an MK6 GTI(2010) with all options except wheels & leather(2010 was when you could select each option individually)

Here are my observations having the car for a week after driving an APR stage 2 GTI with intake & DP:
'16 WRB Base with STi short shifter

-The WRX definitely feels faster off the line .I'm still not out of break in, so I haven't gotten on it yet but I can already notice it.

-Highway is no comparison, the GTI definitely had that sudden "we gotta go" factor that I haven't felt yet(again not out of break in & only have hit 12.9 PSI max in all my driving)

-Interior - the GTI feels better. it hugged me more than the WRX does. The electronics are in a different world as I'm going from a nav, upgraded audio, heated seats, heated mirrors, sunroof to the base WRX. This was my choice, not a shot at the WRX, I love this thing :) but the standard features on this are much better than the standards with the GTI.

- Sound - Cabin noise is definitely higher in the WRX, but I wanted that. it feels more like a drivers car than the GTI does. As far as stock exhaust GTI vs WRX, the WRX is a bit throatier, but I do miss the growl of the older WRXs.

-Handling - doesn't seem fair.... the WRX just feels stiffer on every front. again, drivers car...

Overall, the WRX feels better to drive. I haven't hit that dead spot at 5K as I haven't gotten over 4 yet(again break in, can you tell I'm dying waiting here....)

Take this with a grain of salt as I'm a VERY recent WRX owner, but if the car continues the way it is & only gets better with a tune, I'll be here for the long haul.

#20 ·
Thanks guys for the replies.

Firefighterjake - it is nice to own a car that has mutual owner admiration (I laugh how vw owners never even recognize each other). Although when I had my R32 they did. I owned a fiesta ST so I do understand the "drivers car feel".

Nyte - good info. Did you drive a mk7 with performance pack before you got the wrx? Just wondering - the mk7 feels so much better (I also had a mk6) - chassis/lightness/handling/stock power.

#23 ·
nope, but the pack only includes 10hp bump due to increased redline, bigger brakes, & an electronically controlled LSD(only feature worth mentioning honestly). I've driven an MK7 no PP & while it was lighter, the difference in handling still wasnt on the WRX level. The MK7 did have much better pull from the added torque.

#21 ·
Really sounds like you should just get a lightly used GTI w/ pp. Mk6 doesnt really compare to the mk7 like you said. A premium/limited wrx with HK/NAV are 30-34k and you can get base golf R for 34-35 so the comparison is not that far off which is why I and other people mention it.

#22 ·
I'm not willing to spend more than 29k. Therefore I'm not willing to add on the hk/nav and bring the cost of the car north of 33k.

Used PP gti doesn't make any sense - the PP is hard to find used and its barely cheaper than new gti because of the sales tax benefit I get from a new car (you don't get a sales tax break on a used car in ohio). Golf R is at least 35k new.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with the premium wrx. I've had way too many vw's and also need to find out how much I miss my prior awd cars.

#24 ·
OP, you probably already know this, but the other thing that you will miss from your MK7 GTI is the tune-ability of the car. With just a Stage I tune, your GTI turns into a very quick car. I believe to get the same kind of straightline performance from the WRX, you'll need substantially more mods on it to be at the same level as a MK7 GTI + tune.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.