Road Trip - Bucket List Variety
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Road Trip - Bucket List Variety within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What would be the best road trips? This is a subject that keeps popping up in my thoughts from time ...

Road Trip - Bucket List Variety

What would be the best road trips? This is a subject that keeps popping up in my thoughts from time to time. I have done a few throughout my life and I am sure that as my retirement gets closer, I will be heading out to new places and old places revisited. I loved reading Steve's great thread on his trip out west and back. I really hope that there is some great input as I am actually serious about new places to drive.

Just for a little background. I love to drive. I like great cars (define that as you will). I think that driving is the best way to see to country. There is a lot of the country that I have not seen. I will not be camping and I would not consider a motorhome under any circumstance. It is a fair statement that I consider roughing it to be staying in a hotel that does not offer room service. I am all about hiking, biking or paddling during the day, but I like my nice room at night. In no particular order:

New England in the Fall:
    Start in Maine or maybe even Canada in September and head south. Lobster would be on the menu. Further south a trip to the baseball HOF. On down through Skyline Drive and The Blue Ridge Parkway. I've done pieces and parts but never north of New York state. 4 Weeks -- Car of choice: Jaguar XJ Supercharged

Route 66
    I would like to do the whole thing. Start in Chicago. A Cubs and Cardinals' game in Wrigley would be a great kick-off. South to stop and see the Lincoln Library. On to St. Louis and frozen custard at Ted Drewes (a must stop every time I am in St. Louis -- the original on Rte 66). Down through Missouri, a quick piece through Kansas and out through Oklahoma. Now you are heading west through Gallup (it is a neat town), Winslow (yep- flat bed Ford and all) and into Barstow and out to the pier at Santa Monica. 4 weeks -- Car of choice: C7 Corvette Convertible I loved the TV show and the is Rte 66. You gotta have a Vette.

All Summer
    Up through the Great Plains to South Dakota. The Black Hills, The Badlands and Mount Rushmore are all must sees. Heading west across Montana and more of the open plains of eastern Montana. Little Big Horn is a full day, all by itself. You've got Glacier for at least a week. A trip down to see Yellowstone and Grand Teton. From here I head back to the north and grab Alberta and the great expanse. I am heading further north still for Banff. As the weather and the leaves begin to change I would wonder back down through the Rockies and cut through Colorado and New Mexico to end up back home. 4 months -- Car of choice: This is tricky. You have to consider where you would be and the elevation changes. You could need ground clearance and snow capabilities. No Kidding Here -- Lincoln MKT. Plenty of power. Lots of room to take stuff. A hitch for our bicycles. AWD and enough ground clearance to get me where I need to go. I actually liked it better than the Range Rover we test drove and did not buy.

The routes are real. The cars will not all fit into a retirement budget. I know that I will have to downsize the current fleet some in a couple of years. However, I would bet that something like one of these mentioned above will be bought expressly for these trips.
    2016 Camaro SS - 2SS
    2015 Jaguar XF Sport
    2014 Lincoln MKT
    2011 Honda Ridgeline
    Dog Rescue Transport. We drive the get away vehicles.
    Proper number for bicycles, kayaks and cars is N+1

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Rt 50 all the way from San Fran to Ocean City

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Street supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Now chock-full of more subforums! |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy) SD_GR's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    One can travel up the coast from CA also. Above Eureka, the 101 goes to the ocean and becomes a single lane or two lane highway depending on the location, with conifer forests on one side and the ocean on the other. No relation to SoCal at all; may as well be another planet. It goes into Oregon and it's just stunning scenery IMO.
    After a little while I felt a little better, but very little. I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation, I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun. I put them on and went out of the room. Fairwell, My Lovely
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    One can travel up the coast from CA also. Above Eureka, the 101 goes to the ocean and becomes a single lane or two lane highway depending on the location, with conifer forests on one side and the ocean on the other. No relation to SoCal at all; may as well be another planet. It goes into Oregon and it's just stunning scenery IMO.
    I actually just did a Orange County to San Jose trip over Thanks Giving. Took PCH and the 101 all the way. It awesome. Fun hikes and fun roads. The WRX handled it perfectly.
    The drive back on the 5 sucked ass.

Water.....sometimes waves rqjoe's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Rt 50 all the way from San Fran to Ocean City

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    I agree most awesome scenery and route BUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTT, I once almost got stranded in Nevada on RT 50. I was driving at night and running low on gas. I kept thinking I'd come upon a gas station at any moment in some town -- nope. Then I finally thought "I can't go on any further or I will run out in the middle of nowhere." So I parked right next to the pumps in a small (very small) town station and figured I'd just camp there in the car until it opened up the next morning. After about an hour a police car came by and I told him the story. He called the owner who came out in the middle of the night and turned on the pumps so I could get some gas and go on. He also said they (police) do not even patrol out of town much because it is just so far between any forms of civilization out on parts of RT 50.

Great stretch of road if you like solitude, but watch out for cows on the road also................

Water.....sometimes waves rqjoe's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I might opt for the New England in the Fall. I used to have grandparents in Rockport Mass. Quaint little tourist town and they have excellent fresh (live) lobster at Rays Lobster Shack there also. Actually anywhere in New England you will find the best seafood in the world. The cold Atlantic waters make for the best fresh seafood. I used to go up to LL Bean in Freeport Maine, from Rockport. I have always wanted to go hiking in Maine to look for Moose but have not done that yet. On your way up, stop on Maryland's eastern shore for Chesapeake bay shrimp and crabs with 'old bay' seasoning. emmmmm mmmmmm!

You took the 5? Oh god that had to be terrible.
    "If the power increases, then I have to spend more money on gas" - Takumi Fujiwara

Build: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...eye-wagon.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by borderstates
    New England in the Fall:
    Start in Maine or maybe even Canada in September and head south. Lobster would be on the menu. Further south a trip to the baseball HOF. On down through Skyline Drive and The Blue Ridge Parkway. I've done pieces and parts but never north of New York state. 4 Weeks -- Car of choice: Jaguar XJ Supercharged
    I live ~45-60 minutes from Baseball HOF. If you do this trek, let me know, and I can guide you up on some good roads on your way there...

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    One can travel up the coast from CA also.
    You want to travel PCH south (not north) if you have a choice.
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road - Daily
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno) - Toy

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Yes travel south down PCH from up north. I live off of PCH down in socal and it kinda turns into a freeway more than a fun road where I live
    "If the power increases, then I have to spend more money on gas" - Takumi Fujiwara

Build: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...eye-wagon.html

I live ~45-60 minutes from Baseball HOF. If you do this trek, let me know, and I can guide you up on some good roads on your way there...
    EJ25

I am looking at doing a HOF visit this spring. I have not been to Gettysburg since 2013 and that is calling. I have a great friend (Phils' fan) that lives in Lancaster, PA. He has a membership to the HOF and would make a cool tour guide. John has the Civil War bug, too (he may have it worst than me). I'll also need to visit my friend, Wayne Motts, President of the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg, PA. Phil's game, HOF, Gettysburg and the NCWM should make a pretty solid trip. I'll let you know as things progress with the planning.
    2016 Camaro SS - 2SS
    2015 Jaguar XF Sport
    2014 Lincoln MKT
    2011 Honda Ridgeline
    Dog Rescue Transport. We drive the get away vehicles.
    Proper number for bicycles, kayaks and cars is N+1

Registered User Firefighterjake's Avatar
    Nova Scotia: Lots to see in this province, but if you're into driving and like a good driving road along with fantastic views there is no question . . . you've got to do the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton. A fantastic drive. Extra: Be sure to stop by Fortress Louisbourgh where historical re-enactors in costume will regal you with stories of the fortress (and be sure to stop by their cafe . . . the last time I was there they did not serve the usual burgers and chicken nuggets, but rather meals modeled after the times . . . my wife had a soup and bread dish, while I had some cheeses and bread.)

Prince Edward Island: It will cost a bit to either take the ferry or the big bridge to Canada's smallest province, but there is something magical about this province. It's easy to get around this island and check out the various lighthouses, the red sand beaches and just the overall beauty of this place. Extra: If you're married and have a spouse that grew up reading Anne of Green Gables, stop by. I never read the books, but I liked the old house and barn that were preserved along with some of the walking trails.

New Brunswick: There's quite a bit to see in this province, but to be honest I've often been on my way to or from PEI or Nova Scotia. If you're driving though, the Flower Pots and the roads to there are worth doing. A quick stop in Moncton to see the Tidal Bore is pretty neat as well . . . but you've got to time it right . . . and if you're expecting a tsunami like wave you will be disappointed, but it is neat to see the relatively placid river and then see the large, muddy wave coming in . . . often with a surfer or two riding a top the wave.

Maine: I'm more of a fried scallops and clams guy myself, but hey . . . folks like to eat those darned sea spiders for some reason . . . and here you generally can pick them up at a good price. If you're working your way down or up to Canada, skip Rt. 9 (aka the Airline) . . . it's a fast track down, but it's boring . . . Rt. 1 is more windy and will give you more of that typical Maine town and views of the seacoast that folks expect to see. Stops in Downeast Maine worth doing include West Quoddy Head (considered the eastern most point of the continental USA) with some nice walking trails and a lighthouse and a quick stop to Campobello Island with a whole bunch of hiking trails and President Franklin D. Roosevelt's Summer Home. Continue on down the Coast along Rt. 1 . . . being sure to stop by Acadia National Park . . . but also be sure to do the Schoodic Peninsula (watching the ocean here during or after a storm has passed through can be inspiring or honestly downright scary). After spending a day or two at Acadia and touring Bar Harbor (trying the lobster ice cream, doing a whale watch or just meandering through the various shops and restaurants -- I particularly like Alexander's Clock Shop which feels like walking back into time . . . pipe smoke and all) head back on down the road . . . if you really like the coast keep on Rt. 1 and stop off at any towns that might hold your interest such as Prospect with Fort Knox and the Bridge Observatory, funky Belfast or the classic Maine town of Camden . . . working your way through to Rockland with the mile long Rockland breakwater to the lighthouse or up to Owl's Head Transportation Museum . . . and end up at Freeport (aka Beanport) with a whole bunch of outlet stores (not that I get too excited about shopping.) If you are really good though and time things right (although this would be the summer and not the fall with the foliage) you can arrange things so that you end up in Western Maine in time to see the New England Forest Rally Car race.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.