Subaru WRX Forum banner

07 STI vs 09 STI hatch vs 2010 STI hatch?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  DAT2RTR 
#1 ·
This my first Subaru ever coming off a 06 civic. 2nd car. Hard to decide which is best choice for me, I do a lot of daily driving, not thinking about mods in the near future but it's possible. Currently looking at the 2007 hawkeye sti , 2009 hatch STI , or 2010 hatch STI

2010 is great, but is it worth $500/ month on a college student budget ? lol. With school I am able to work about 20-25 hours max making $12/ HR so it will be tight. My parents are willing to fund insurance and go half with me on the monthly payment though.

also, wat is the best place to find one in excellent condition, low miles, and maybe even stock ? lol. I've been lookin online and it's all overpriced and modded, rebuilt titles etc. Ive mainly looked on Craigslist and some Subaru forums but that's about it

#2 ·
Quite frankly, if you're a college student I wouldn't consider an STI at all.

Every option listed will be out of warranty and STIs tend to be abused by owners. An abused STI out of warranty on an income of $250/week? Not a good idea whatsoever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Just hold on to that dream for a few more years!! Finish your education; start a career.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#5 ·
You joined this site hoping to justify your STI purchase...

Assuming your current car doesn't have any major issues, keep it until you graduate. After graduation (and you have a good job offer), then consider a new car.

#6 ·
Gotta agree with everyone else here . . . as a college student your focus really needs to be on cheap and reliable transportation when it comes to vehicles. A used (insert the word "older" here) STI may bring with it extra maintenance costs even if it has been lovingly maintained (and if it has been "ridden hard and put away wet" your costs could be quite high) . . . not to mention the higher cost of premium gas compared to most naturally aspirated vehicles.

Then there's the pure and simple costs of the vehicle . . . $500 is pretty steep to be paying each month. Yes, your parents may pay half . . . but even then $250 for a used vehicle is pretty pricey in my opinion . . . especially if you happen to only be working part time at a job that pays $12 an hour. It may not leave a lot of extra money for things you may need at college . . . or want . . .

A STI may be your dream vehicle . . . nothing wrong with that . . . I had (actually still have) a picture of a WRX STI hanging in my garage that I put up close to a decade ago. Sometimes dreams are delayed . . .

#7 ·
This my first Subaru ever coming off a 06 civic. 2nd car. Hard to decide which is best choice for me, I do a lot of daily driving, not thinking about mods in the near future but it's possible. Currently looking at the 2007 hawkeye sti , 2009 hatch STI , or 2010 hatch STI

2010 is great, but is it worth $500/ month on a college student budget ? lol. With school I am able to work about 20-25 hours max making $12/ HR so it will be tight. My parents are willing to fund insurance and go half with me on the monthly payment though.

also, wat is the best place to find one in excellent condition, low miles, and maybe even stock ? lol. I've been lookin online and it's all overpriced and modded, rebuilt titles etc. Ive mainly looked on Craigslist and some Subaru forums but that's about it
this is never worth it. college student, baller, rich dude. never.

#8 · (Edited)
If you want to get into the Subaru game, either wait for a ridiculously good deal(which will probably turn out to be a bad deal). Or, wait to get out of college. I've seen so many people buy (used supposedly clean or "babied") wrx's or STi's and have them blow up within months. Even with proper maintenance. Things just go bad(turbo seals, cam seals, timing belt, axles, axle boots) and, you'll have to fill gas every 3-4 days probably depending on how much you drive and how heavy your foot is. Not only because it has a smaller tank, but you're not really going to see over 20mpg around town. Ever. Even if you stay out of boost. I love Subarus, but I've worked on enough of them to know that if you're not either very mechanically inclined, have friends that are, and/or have very deep pockets, the turbo ones just are a bad idea.

If you can find a cheap 2.5rs or cheap 2.5i with a manual that's a good way to get into the Subaru game. See what all the fuss is about first before diving into the halo car.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.