Subaru WRX Forum banner

can anyone else "kick-down" the high idle after starting?

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  STI Version6 
#1 ·
On my 2015 6MT, it idles high (17-1800) after cold starting which is normal. If I let it do this for about 1 minute, I can then "kick" the throttle and RPMs will come down to around 1200. It is almost like the old carbureted engines of yesteryear where you could set the choke by fully depressing the throttle and then kicking it to take the choke off. But of course there is no such thing on these cars. I think all the idle settings are done by the ECU with input from various sensors, right? So how can my kicking the throttle make this happen? It seems very odd to me. Anyone else notice this? Happy T-day everyone.

#6 ·
Auto choke. figured it was a normal thing. also stops when the engine is warm. like the ecu knows you are going to drive now, and switches off the choke.

#8 · (Edited)
Most newer cars with ECU's 1985+ or so have Cold Start injector cycles and idle control or something like that.

Im sure this would show for someone with a port scanner on a cold morning start.
Higher fueling and other changes maybe..

Edit:
Sorry to also answer the question yes i can and do it,
- Ill start the car let it run on cold start cycle about 10 seconds (while i buckle the dog into harness 95% of my drives)
- Then tap throttle to let it drop to about the 1200rpm
- Then slowly creep out the driveway (25meters just under the idle power no throttle as it reverse and down a slight hill)
- Then Let it reach 2/3 normal Operating Temp before i drive off (if @ this point it still idling high tapping throttle normally clears it to normal 750-800rpm)

I Actually have this "kickdown" In a 1 minute Video showing my First Cold start after i did exhaust (cold here in Aus was about 2*C(35*F)
Enjoy the 8mp camera (ignore my dogs tail just her wanting to boost)

Forum & Scoobie Newbie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.