new to the tuning world...need help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on new to the tuning world...need help within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello, I recently purchased a 2002 Impreza WRX sedan and I need some advice. I bought the car because I ...

new to the tuning world...need help

I recently purchased a 2002 Impreza WRX sedan and I need some advice. I bought the car because I know they can be VERY fun but also because I live where we get a lot of snow and my rear wheel drive car doesn't do well in it.

Basically I need to know if I need to tune my car if I just add and Up pipe. I did a little research and I thought I read that the stock one has a catalytic converter and sometimes they ruin the turbo. I am completely stock and I want to upgrade the car power wise down the road but right now I need to get through the winter. I have never owned a car with a turbo until this (Im only 23).

I tried to search this info but I wanted to get a for sure answer because most of the things I read were being done to cars with performance parts. My car is a 2002, 90k miles and is an automatic ( I know, i know, should have got a manual) but for the price and miles I couldn't pass this one up.

I am sorry if this has been asked a million times; please feel free to correct me if I am completely incorrect as I am new to all of this.

2. Remove Advertisements

The Old Folks Home
    I Support ClubWRX
    You should be fine with the stock tune, for just an uppipe. If you go down the downpipe path (where you start to see real gains), you'll need to think about at least an OTS (off the shelf) tune, to keep the car happy.
    Welcome aboard!
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon -- SOLD
    2002 Subaru WRX Sedan -- SOLD

Near Lansing MI
    If you're in an area where you get snow/ice in the winter, invest in some snow/winter tires. Had a set of Blizzaks on my '02 WRX for 3 years in southwest Michigan and it walked through 8" of snow better than many of the 4wd trucks. Snow tires turn a WRX into a real road warrior in the winter.
    '15 WRX Premium -- Sunroof, short throw, upgraded lights (SubiSpeed LED DRL boomerang, OLM HID 5000K low-beams, OSRAM 5000K high-beams), TapTurn, STi Wing, 20% Tint
    Other current: '92 Stealth RT/TT, '07 Avalanche LTZ
    Previous: '04 Saab 9-3, '02 WRX, '94 3000GT SL, '91 Eclipse GSX, '82 Porsche 931 (924 turbo), '79 Saab 900T, '81 Mitsubishi Starion, '80 Triumph Spitfire, '74 Saab Sonett III, '72 Opel GT

CA, US
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX Joker View Post
    Basically I need to know if I need to tune my car if I just add and Up pipe.
    No. You will get a CEL that you can address with a resistor. Search here for resistor CEL fix for more info.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I am at the moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip. Ignatius J. Reilly
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

something else forever Germz to Japz's Avatar
    Herndon Virginia
    Like others have said stock tune is totally fine but make sure to get a new set of rubber for the winter. With that said though, hello and welcome and congratulations on the new ride! If you plan to get tuned start with a custom "Stage 1" tune and then see from there if you want anything more!
    Speak Your Mind & Let Me Know

thanks for all the help! I am going to get a new set of tires asap.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.