12K service and unusual brake wear
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 12K service and unusual brake wear within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I brought my car 2015 WRX in for its 12K mile service and the tech mentioned that my brakes ...

12K service and unusual brake wear

So I brought my car 2015 WRX in for its 12K mile service and the tech mentioned that my brakes are not wearing normally and that my fronts have 9mm left which my rears have 6mm left. He said that a 1~2mm difference can be expected, but usually the wear occurs towards the front. This makes sense as the weight is shifted forward when stopping, but what would make the rears wear down faster than the fronts? I asked the tech this and he just said, "your style of driving" is the cause, but could offer no other details. Does anyone have an idea what would cause this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i will have to double check my last records. i just did oil change at 20k or so and i noticed the report said my rear pads were worn more than front. i thought it was odd too. i don't see how i my driving style (or any driving in that case) could cause the rear pads to wear more quickly. unless they started out at different thicknesses lol.

If your "driving style" includes driving in reverse and breaking hard, for many miles, I guess....

Sent from my lair.....
    Today, is the tomorrow, we worried about, yesterday.

Parking brake?
    "Hey man there's only one thing
    And one car that will do"
    And its a WRX Subaru

Quote Originally Posted by rqjoe View Post
    Parking brake?
    If the new WRX is designed like my Legacy, the parking brake is comprised of drum shoes, inside of the rotor, which shouldn't affect the disc pads.

Sent from my lair.....

I don't drive with the parking brake on, so that wouldn't be the culprit. I do backup into parking spaces often, but that is slow speeds and should not be a reason for higher than normal wear, or I don't think it should be a reason. Any one else with a 2015 have similar feedback after their standard maintenance?

I Support ClubWRX
    If you get in your car and step on the brake pedal (without the key turned to 'on'), is the pedal rock solid?

Are the rear rotors on the newer vehicles the same thickness as the fronts to start?

That's an odd one, to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by tmcmahon View Post
    I don't drive with the parking brake on, so that wouldn't be the culprit. I do backup into parking spaces often, but that is slow speeds and should not be a reason for higher than normal wear, or I don't think it should be a reason. Any one else with a 2015 have similar feedback after their standard maintenance?
    The parking brake should not affect the thickness of the rear disc pads, as it is comprised of brake shoes positioned in the inside of the rear discs at the hub area.

Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    If you get in your car and step on the brake pedal (without the key turned to 'on'), is the pedal rock solid?

Are the rear rotors on the newer vehicles the same thickness as the fronts to start?

That's an odd one, to be honest.
    I looked at Subaru's part site and wasn't able to get the rotor thickness, so I don't know what they are brand new. As for the pedal being rock solid, it is not rock solid for the first pump, but them gets stiffer. I don't know if this means anything or not.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcmahon View Post
    I looked at Subaru's part site and wasn't able to get the rotor thickness, so I don't know what they are brand new. As for the pedal being rock solid, it is not rock solid for the first pump, but them gets stiffer. I don't know if this means anything or not.
    The brakes are a PITA to bleed completely in these cars a lot of times - hence why I was asking about the pedal. One pump before hand is reasonable, and I doubt that is your issue.

No idea man. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

well, I will just have to ask when I bring the car in for the next service.

I Support ClubWRX
    That's definitely not right and something seems off here. As to what it is, I have no idea. But what I do know is that the front pads will ALWAYS wear more than the rears as they do more work. your scenario should not be happening.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned by Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.