New 2016 WRX Leaking Oil?!?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New 2016 WRX Leaking Oil?!? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just bought my 2016 WRX on Monday. It has under 400 miles on it and I have not been ...

New 2016 WRX Leaking Oil?!?

I just bought my 2016 WRX on Monday. It has under 400 miles on it and I have not been beating on the car at all.
    The car is leaking oil all over the place, like grapefruit size circles on the pavement. .
    Any idea what this can be?!?
    Thanks everyone.
    -Jen
    2016 base, manual

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, the obvious answer is get it to the dealer, like now. Secondly, when you get it home please diagnose where it is leaking from. Filter? Maybe the crush washer? Once you know where it's leaking from we can further advise. Bottom line though is you can have us help you diagnose it or you can take it to the dealership and have it fixed for free. Check your oil, make sure you have enough to safely operate on your way to the dealership.

I Support ClubWRX
    Call the dealer and insist that they send a flatbed for the car, and a loaner car for you. I see no rational reason why you should go to the dealer, since your time and your money are more important than theirs.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks. I have an appointment for tomorrow. I'll check to see if I can find the source. I'm surprised to have a car leak this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Call the dealer and insist that they send a flatbed for the car, and a loaner car for you. I see no rational reason why you should go to the dealer, since your time and your money are more important than theirs.
    I'm going to check the oil level before I go. I hope they have a loaner car since we are supposed to go on vacation. I do have a Camaro and a Challenger I can take, but those get pretty bad gas mileage. The WRX is supposed to be the new daily driver.
    Last edited by JMalmsteen; 07-31-2015 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JMalmsteen View Post
    I'm going to check the oil level before I go. I hope they have a loaner car since we are supposed to go on vacation. I do have a Camaro and a Challenger I can take, but those get pretty bad gas mileage. The WRX is supposed to be the new daily driver.
    Sorry for your troubles but at worse you'll have to drive around in a Forester for whatever time it takes . I drove one for a month , hated it .

You have a Challenger , Camaro and a WRX , why are you worried about gas millage ?

Invite some friends and take all three
    2016 WRB STi base model

Well I feel relieved and ridiculous at the moment. Here's what I think the problem is- there is some car that is seriously leaking oil and it might not be mine! After I had pulled away twice, there was fresh oil. When I got home, there was a load of oil in a location I had not parked in. I moved my car last night around the block and will go check on it now. I am hoping there is no oil!!

Thank you guys for your help. Going outside now. ..

My mouse is broken from hitting my face into the desk right now

Edit: Mouse absorbed most of the impact
    2016 WRB Limited WRX on order!
    2003 Nissan Touring 350z

Well, let's hope it isn't anything bad! Hopefully it's fine.

I had an aftermarket oil filter leak that freaked me the hell out about a year ago. Dealer had to go in and clean the engine, oil was leaking and spraying everywhere. Never, ever, ever using aftermarket oil filters again.

I have never had a oil filter leak unless someone installed it wrong (oiling the ring or not tightening it up correctly). That just sounds like a nightmare as I could not stand letting the engine bay get dirty
    2016 WRB Limited WRX on order!
    2003 Nissan Touring 350z

Quote Originally Posted by Crooks View Post
    I have never had a oil filter leak unless someone installed it wrong (oiling the ring or not tightening it up correctly). That just sounds like a nightmare as I could not stand letting the engine bay get dirty
    Oiling the ring is wrong? Or you saying it is correct to oil it? And I assume you mean the rubber gasket when you say ring?
    "Hey man there's only one thing
    And one car that will do"
    And its a WRX Subaru

Quote Originally Posted by rqjoe View Post
    Oiling the ring is wrong? Or you saying it is correct to oil it? And I assume you mean the rubber gasket when you say ring?
    It is proper procedure to run a small amount of oil around the O Ring gasket inside the filter to create a proper seal.

Quote Originally Posted by rqjoe View Post
    Yes, I meant not doing those two procedures correctly. I should proof read these sometimes. It comes out fine in my head but it totally looks like I meant not to oil the ring or tighten it up correctly.

Revised:
    I have never had a oil filter leak unless someone installed it wrong (not oiling the ring or not tightening it up correctly). That just sounds like a nightmare as I could not stand letting the engine bay get dirty
    Last edited by Crooks; 08-01-2015 at 07:15 PM. Reason: added revised

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.