Subaru WRX Forum banner

How do you deal with parking your car on the street?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Germz to Japz 
#1 ·
Hey guys I've been lurking for awhile since I haven't deemed myself worthy of being part of the club since I haven't received my 2016 WRX yet where I'm hoping to become part of the community. But seriously, how do you deal with parking on the street?

My house has a hydrant in front and my drive way has my mother constantly going in and out so I'm stuck on the street all but nighttime where I plan on keeping it in the driveway since I'm the first one out in the morning.

I'm sure everybody knows what parking politics can be like on a little suburban street so I've been obsessing over what in the hell im gonna do. It's looking like the best spot is gonna be a house away on the corner strip but damn does that make me uncomfortable being so far away from my baby lol

#2 ·
What's your primary concern, someone hitting it, vandalism, break-in's..... all of the above? :)

I guess it depends upon the neighborhood. If you live in a fairly quiet, suburbia place, I wouldn't spend a lot of time fretting about it. I had to park my WRX in the driveway once I got my newer car (which went in the garage), and though I didn't love the idea, I got used to it and stopped thinking about it after a while.

I do have to ask, is the "house way on the corner strip" in front of someone else's house? We had a neighbor that would have all of this friends park in front of our house for a while (they'd stay for a week, sometimes), and I was never a fan.

#3 ·
Id say I'm worried about all of the above lol. It's just my first real big investment so it's a big jump for me. That corner strip is across from a house where some dude and his girlfriend lives, sometimes she'll park across but there's more than enough room for 2 cars. I'd say my neighborhood is pretty quiet, no crime or anything that I know of. The car just looks so damn beautiful that I can't imagine it being damaged lol.

#5 ·
That corner strip is across from a house where some dude and his girlfriend lives, sometimes she'll park across but there's more than enough room for 2 cars.
It's not in front of a house? I guess that's different. When those goofs parked in front of my house, it wasn't about the space...it's about the fact that I was paying the mortgage/taxes/insurance on this piece of property, but if I look out my window, I'm constantly looking at some guy's jalopy parked with 2 wheels up in my yard. Can you tell that it annoyed me? :wiggles:

Almost never have to use a street. Driveway here, spacious parking lot at work.
Yeah, I'm spoiled to a garage at home. I'll never own a home without one, from this point on. Way awesome. On the days when I go in to work, I parallel park. There is a remote chance of damage or whatever, but so far, so good.

#7 ·
I wish I had it as good as you have it. I live in urban Oakland, CA, in a densely populated neighborhood consisting primarily of apartment buildings. The streets are full of potholes. Very few people have a garage or a driveway, including me. I parallel park on the street every night after work and you just gotta be ready for that first ding.

That said, I had my GBP STI for almost four months without a single ding or scratch or scrape, despite these treacherous parking conditions. I did, however, get a three-inch gouge out of my rear end on the CWP WRX after about three months.

No dings yet on the WRB STI but I haven't even had it for 24 hours yet.

Here you can see the gouge:
Vehicle Car Automotive design Mid-size car Personal luxury car

Many Subarus in my neighborhood:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Night

Sometimes I park next to my neighbor's LE:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Sports sedan

More Subarus:
Vehicle Car Transport Mid-size car Luxury vehicle

#8 ·
Haha yea I hear you my dad is thrilled to have a hydrant in front so nobody parks there. I may honestly offer my mom 100$ a month to park in the street so I can go in the driveway haha. Work is perfectly fine, I work for the county and we have a yard with a tall gate all the way around and cameras out the wazoo.

#9 ·
Also, my Oakland neighborhood is not the hood, but we get plenty of auto burglaries and thefts because people from the hood come to our neighborhood to wreak havoc. They only seem to happen to people with 90s Hondas and Toyotas, or people who use The Club, and/or people who leave stuff visible in their cars. Don't leave stuff visible in your car and you should be good.

#11 ·
OP, at least we still have the privilege of parking our own car, and not an electronic nanny doing it for us.

#12 ·
I will put it this way since I always park on the street or in a public garage... I have nothing inside my vehicle worth breaking into and trying to take... I also have accepted the chances of some jealous "misguided youth" vandalizing and damaging my vehicle for fun a long time ago... I try my best to park in a safe corner away from sight and other cars... I also remain realistic though...

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.