2013 Gas Tank Problem
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2013 Gas Tank Problem within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, I wanted to reach out to everyone in the forum to see if any one else is having ...

2013 Gas Tank Problem

Hey everyone,

I wanted to reach out to everyone in the forum to see if any one else is having trouble with their gas tanks. I have a 2013 WRX and have it at the dealership right now for the second time in 6 months.

The same thing has happened twice now. My gas light comes on, I stop at my earliest convenience and go to put gas in my car. The gas nozzle pops like it is full, and gas starts pouring out of the tank and down the side of my car. I can also hear air rushing out of the tank like there is built up pressure in the tank.

In January when this happened I was out of town and had to get my car fixed in Palm beach, FL (I live in Orlando). They ended up completely replacing my gas tank, so they told me, and changed out the actual hose leading to the tank. When I asked what happened they bounced around what happened and did not tell me what happened, how it was caused, or how to possibly prevent the same thing from happening.

Thanks for any help or suggestions. I hate to have to deal with this, and I am not overly pleased with how Subaru has handled this. Out of principle I am considering selling my WRX so I don't have to deal with them anymore.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I've heard of this happening, but luckily never experienced it myself. Good luck, man! And welcome to the club!
    The Anti-N00b. Use "Search", YES, you need a tune. NO, you don't need a BOV. Don't try to make you car shoot fire, and change your freaking oil.

I had this happen in a 2003 GMC van I have.
    The filler hose that leads down into the tank was a poor design. GM just stuck it in there and the end inside the tank just sort of flops around; it is a stiff thing but free to move. Well, mine somehow moved just enough to end up pointing right at the fuel pump assembly. And it was close enough to the pump that when gas would flow down the hose it would hit the fuel pump housing, bounce back and keep shutting off the gas nozzle. I managed to stick a long rod down in there and bend the far end of the hose just enough so it was not pointing at the fuel pump assembly anymore. This solved the problem.

I will say that I was very careful and well aware of the risk of a spark in doing this. I did it when I had nearly an empty gas tank and if I recall I think I removed a fuel line somewhere and drained the tank then let it sit without the gas cap on for a while before doing this fix. I did not have to remove the tank to do it though.

Can't be sure this is your exact problem, but sounds like it...............
    "Hey man there's only one thing
    And one car that will do"
    And its a WRX Subaru

something else forever Germz to Japz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX-cdf View Post
    Hey everyone,

I wanted to reach out to everyone in the forum to see if any one else is having trouble with their gas tanks. I have a 2013 WRX and have it at the dealership right now for the second time in 6 months.

The same thing has happened twice now. My gas light comes on, I stop at my earliest convenience and go to put gas in my car. The gas nozzle pops like it is full, and gas starts pouring out of the tank and down the side of my car. I can also hear air rushing out of the tank like there is built up pressure in the tank.

In January when this happened I was out of town and had to get my car fixed in Palm beach, FL (I live in Orlando). They ended up completely replacing my gas tank, so they told me, and changed out the actual hose leading to the tank. When I asked what happened they bounced around what happened and did not tell me what happened, how it was caused, or how to possibly prevent the same thing from happening.

Thanks for any help or suggestions. I hate to have to deal with this, and I am not overly pleased with how Subaru has handled this. Out of principle I am considering selling my WRX so I don't have to deal with them anymore.
    Hello and welcome both to the forums and to the Subaru community. I am very sorry to hear that you are experiencing this problem. Do not hesitate to sell the WRX due to this issue, I won't (nor will anyone hopefully) blame or judge you poorly. These cars are amazing in the performance department but seem to have a plethora of issues ranging from minor to severe, whether brand new and stock or heavily modified and old. I hope this is all covered and fixed under warranty, especially on such a new car, but then again Subaru of America does enjoy denying warranty service left and right. I do apologize if my response comes across pretty negative and harsh. I have also been having minor issues with my brand new 2014 WRX left and right, but alas, that is what to be expected from such an unusually cheap upper-level performance car. With that said, good luck and hope this gets resolved soon, and hopefully if you do plan to sell the WRX the next car will be problem free!

Here is a funny video by a funny person that reviews cars at random and throws random childish humor... I find these videos comforting whenever I am having problems with my car... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhgMEi5aqmY
    Speak Your Mind & Let Me Know

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.