When do you shift? Mainly 15 wrx
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on When do you shift? Mainly 15 wrx within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I've had the 2015 wrx for about a month now and with the power being cut dramatically around the ...

When do you shift? Mainly 15 wrx

So I've had the 2015 wrx for about a month now and with the power being cut dramatically around the 5k rpm I feel like it's not worth going all he way to red line. Just out of curiousity, around what rpm do you (15 wrx owner) shif at.

Now my other car is a 05 rsx-s so taking it to red line is the pleasure of driving it, and for this car, 3k rpm is like ohh **** then once it hits 5k it's like awe that was it lol. A tune is out of the question for now for the same reason as everyone else who doesn't already have one. (Warranty)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I noticed this as well when I first got the WRX and felt the same about taking it all the way to redline. I eventually bought an AccessPort and flashed to Stage 1. Now the car pulls hard all the way to redline and felt MUCH more responsive.
    ...BECAUSE RALLY CAR

Current Build: 2015 WRX Premium - WRB

I Support ClubWRX
    Still the crappy stock tunes?

Regardless, I don't have a 15 but I ahift no later than 6k...5.5 if possible just out of paranoia

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Stinkeye member 520

When daily driving around 3-3.5k. When having fun around 5-5.5k.

When you get your car tuned and actually on the Dyno you will see where it stops making power. There is really no point in going much past that. My STi power curve drops off at right around 5500 i believe if i remember correctly. i dont know if i have ever been over 6500

I take it up to about 6500 quick shift and the car never really drops below 5200. Keeping the car making full poweer the entire time. That's if i am out there hammering on it. If not i juat shift at a nice easy 3500-4000. Probably just tickling 1-2lbs of boost
    2016 WRX
    2005 STi
    1993 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by strudinox View Post
    I noticed this as well when I first got the WRX and felt the same about taking it all the way to redline. I eventually bought an AccessPort and flashed to Stage 1. Now the car pulls hard all the way to redline and felt MUCH more responsive.
    Yea I will eventually get that ap stage one tune but I was dumb enough to pay for the extended 7 year warranty so I'll wait, atleast a year before any mods.

I'm the same as you guys. My shifts are around 3k for driving around town an about 5k if I'm having fun

2.5 to 3k with my wife in the car, 3.5 to 4k when alone, 5 to 5.5 when having fun. I am also still on stock tune. At 5k miles I will be getting a Cobb AP and cobb CAI and then I expect to pull to about 6 to 6.5 during spirited driving

Ugh, 3-3.5k. I'm on the break-in (2016).

The car revs relatively easily, and I feel in normal driving I'll probably shift around 3.5-4k. Upwards when having fun. I'll be on the stock tune for a while.
    2016 ISM Limited WRX
    2007 Mazdaspeed 3 Sold.

I rarely if ever go over 3k rpm. As far as your power dropping off past 5k or whatever I'll bet you still make more power past 5k in 2nd than anywhere in third, and more power after 5k in third than anywhere in 4th and so on.

Just shift where your comfortable, where your car likes it the most. Every clutch will be a little different, and every driver has different driving techniques.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sancsaechao View Post
    So I've had the 2015 wrx for about a month now and with the power being cut dramatically around the 5k rpm I feel like it's not worth going all he way to red line. Just out of curiousity, around what rpm do you (15 wrx owner) shif at.

Now my other car is a 05 rsx-s so taking it to red line is the pleasure of driving it, and for this car, 3k rpm is like ohh **** then once it hits 5k it's like awe that was it lol. A tune is out of the question for now for the same reason as everyone else who doesn't already have one. (Warranty)
    youre always shifting over 5k? like many, i rarely do unless im running it hard.
    stinkeye member #976

Just a side note, the benefit of shifting above 5k rpms is sometimes not the power you get from 5k to redline, it's where it will place you in your next shift. Like for me, if I shift at 5k rpms from 2nd to 3rd I come in just below my power band. So in my 15 wrx when running hard I may shift at redline in 2nd so I start in my powerband in 3rd, but then shift at 5.5 from 3rd to 4th etc etc. Just food for thought, think about where your shift will land you.

Quote Originally Posted by unseen View Post
    youre always shifting over 5k? like many, i rarely do unless im running it hard.
    I kinda got used to shifting at red line with the vtec engines lol, but now I do it with the wrx not because I'm trying to but instead it's more of a bad habit.

Quote Originally Posted by sancsaechao View Post
    I kinda got used to shifting at red line with the vtec engines lol, but now I do it with the wrx not because I'm trying to but instead it's more of a bad habit.
    Don't plan on your engine lasting long.

I Support ClubWRX
    Offroad, I take it to redline. On the street, it rarely sees anything more than 5500
    ...BECAUSE RALLY CAR

Current Build: 2015 WRX Premium - WRB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.