Torn front control arm bushings (I think)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Torn front control arm bushings (I think) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Not sure if it's considered a bushing or what, so I'll let the photo speak for itself. This is on ...

Torn front control arm bushings (I think)

Not sure if it's considered a bushing or what, so I'll let the photo speak for itself. This is on an 09 Impreza 2.5GT, which is supposed to be equivalent to a 2008 WRX auto:

(front/passenger side)

Driver's side has that same type of split in the bushing(?). The car has 130k on it, but I haven't really noticed any handling problems lately, only some occasional light popping noise from that that area over small bumps at low speed.

Any advice on how serious this is, and what to replace them with? Thanks
    Last edited by TonyG; 04-13-2015 at 08:07 PM.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bump for help
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

something else forever Germz to Japz's Avatar
    this post looks really familiar...
    Speak Your Mind & Let Me Know

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It is kind of hard to see and it is a tough call. I think that bushing location was not holding up well on the Legacy GT and they were having hit or miss success on warranty dealer repair. If it is split I would want a new one in there personally. But if your tires are wearing OK and it doesn't feel dodgy you might be fine. Definitely a call you need to make yourself though.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    See I just ended up replacing both control arms.
    So center the spindles broke during the clutch install

When I was at toyota and these bushings would go bad (not often) most techs preferred to replaced the arms instead of just the bushings. They claim it was too much of a pita
    Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    See I just ended up replacing both control arms.
    So center the spindles broke during the clutch install

When I was at toyota and these bushings would go bad (not often) most techs preferred to replaced the arms instead of just the bushings. They claim it was too much of a pita
    I was hoping mine would fail the test that allows the recall parts to be ordered (for an '03). That would have gotten new control arms and ball joints for free. I never wanted to do control arms because all the fun ones only fit the sedans.

Thanks, it's my DD and I drive 100 miles/day, so I won't take any chances and just fix the problem. I'm hoping it's something I can do myself. I still don't know if I can just change out the bushing or need to get whole new control arms
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

That pic looks very familiar... my '05 OBXT was making grinding noises when braking, especially when pointed downhill. Brakes were A-OK but the control bar bushings looked very much like yours. Had them replaced, noises gone.

I decided to buy a whole new control arm, which has both bushings and the ball joint already mounted. I did it this way (instead of replacing just the bushing) to save time...and because I think I would have needed a garage’s help to install just the bushing (need a press). With the assembled part, I can replace it myself.

Parts Geek wanted $282 ea (didn't check shipping)
    Parts.com wanted $206 ea + $50 shipping
    Fred Beans wanted $224.96 each....then they wouldn’t tell me the shipping charges until after I input my CC information it...as if that will make me more likely to buy from them. When I found out that shipping was $40, I cancelled the order.

The best deal that I found came from Quirk auto, who charged $210 ea + $14 shipping.

BTW, I found this interesting site from a shop that says this is a common problem in later model Subarus, they even have a photo very similar to mine
    http://mdhmotors.com/subaru-control-arm-bushing-repair/
    Last edited by TonyG; 04-16-2015 at 05:49 AM.
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

I Support ClubWRX
    Perfect time to install an ALK (unless you autocross and don't want to change classes).

Update. I took off the driver's side tonight...it was really fun to take out the ball joint. That "split" I spoke of wasn't a split at all, that's the way the bushing is designed. Here is a side by side comparison (new/old):

-08 R32 (bone stock)

I Support ClubWRX
    **** man, I wish I'd seen this earlier. I could have saved you some money...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.