A few questions about lip and wheels
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on A few questions about lip and wheels within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have a 2013 WRX sedan and I was wondering what lip is the most popular for a reasonable cost. ...

A few questions about lip and wheels

I have a 2013 WRX sedan and I was wondering what lip is the most popular for a reasonable cost. My second question is who stayed 17" vs going to 18"? I've debated staying 17" and just lowering the car about an inch. I've inly had the car since August and Wicked Big Meet is coming up and I want my car looking right. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I cannot speak about the lip, but I DID stay with 17" and lowered mine about an inch (STi pink springs lowered it about .8 inches). I simply went for slightly wider tires/wheels. You can go 18" pretty easily and still lower it an inch without worrying too much about rubbing. If you go SUPER wide and lower it more than an inch...that's a different story. You want to make sure if you upsize that you research the weight difference of the current tires/wheels versus 18" tires/wheels. Try to stick with the same or less weight if possible. More weight in the corners may not help handling, but hinder it...even with wider/larger wheels & tires making ground contact. That's my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    I cannot speak about the lip, but I DID stay with 17" and lowered mine about an inch (STi pink springs lowered it about .8 inches). I simply went for slightly wider tires/wheels. You can go 18" pretty easily and still lower it an inch without worrying too much about rubbing. If you go SUPER wide and lower it more than an inch...that's a different story. You want to make sure if you upsize that you research the weight difference of the current tires/wheels versus 18" tires/wheels. Try to stick with the same or less weight if possible. More weight in the corners may not help handling, but hinder it...even with wider/larger wheels & tires making ground contact. That's my 2 cents.
    Thanks for the feedback. I've been seeing some great 17" wheels on sale lately. I wanted to go I little lighter and one inch wider. The STI springs pink, did you put those on the factory struts and where can I get them?

Quote Originally Posted by dooku77 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I've been seeing some great 17" wheels on sale lately. I wanted to go I little lighter and one inch wider. The STI springs pink, did you put those on the factory struts and where can I get them?
    I had the dealer install the springs. Nothing else was changed, but many here would suggest endlinks. I ran them on entirely stock components otherwise for over 40k miles and never had any issues.
    They reduced body roll and created better turn-in steering feel. I bought them direct from SubaruGenuineParts (around $400)

edit: many would also suggest sways. I wanted to, but never got around to it. Plus I was spending too much $ those days.

I had the dealer install the springs. Nothing else was changed, but many here would suggest endlinks. I ran them on entirely stock components otherwise for over 40k miles and never had any issues.
    They reduced body roll and created better turn-in steering feel. I bought them direct from SubaruGenuineParts (around $400)
    Excellent. I will be ordering those next week then. I'll research end links also.

Excellent. I will be ordering those next week then. I'll research end links also.
    Well don't rush into buying them quite yet. There are many other options that may cost less that are just as good. I personally just prefer to stick with Subaru parts when I can to avoid any possible fitment or wear & tear issues.
    Do your research. There are many suspension threads and stickies in this forum you should look over first just to be sure that's really what you want. I should also mention I had an '08 WRX. It had different stock suspension components (inferior) than yours. Your options are probably a bit different.

Well don't rush into buying them quite yet. There are many other options that may cost less that are just as good. I personally just prefer to stick with Subaru parts when I can to avoid any possible fitment or wear & tear issues.
    Do your research. There are many suspension threads and stickies in this forum you should look over first just to be sure that's really what you want. I should also mention I had an '08 WRX. It had different stock suspension components (inferior) than yours. Your options are probably a bit different.
    My concern was, the winters in CT are brutal and at first I was thinking coil overs so I can adjust them up and down for snow purposes, but the new liquid salt they spray destroys everything very quickly. I too would like to stick to subaru parts as much as I can to avoid hassles with my warranty even though my dealer says they are "mod friendly".

My concern was, the winters in CT are brutal and at first I was thinking coil overs so I can adjust them up and down for snow purposes, but the new liquid salt they spray destroys everything very quickly. I too would like to stick to subaru parts as much as I can to avoid hassles with my warranty even though my dealer says they are "mod friendly".
    Coilovers are a nice option, but are definitely more expensive and can make the ride a bit harsh. I live in Michigan so we have our share of harsh winters as well. I found the springs to be a perfect small, but noticeable upgrade with no ill-effects in my case. I wouldn't worry too much about warranty with the suspension stuff, but I get it.
    Back to the tires, it's always best to go dedicated winter tires and then go with a nice sporty summer tire. In our case with the winters we have, it's generally kind of a 7 month/5 month split.

By the way, my brother is in New Haven CT (graduating from UConn this spring) so I've heard the horror stories of the CT winters of late. He's been making his way through with a 12 year old Civic sedan (somehow). lol

Coilovers are a nice option, but are definitely more expensive and can make the ride a bit harsh. I live in Michigan so we have our share of harsh winters as well. I found the springs to be a perfect small, but noticeable upgrade with no ill-effects in my case. I wouldn't worry too much about warranty with the suspension stuff, but I get it.
    Back to the tires, it's always best to go dedicated winter tires and then go with a nice sporty summer tire. In our case with the winters we have, it's generally kind of a 7 month/5 month split.
    I used altimax arctics all winter and I have to tell you, I was amazed how this car handles in the blizzards we had. I was even able to push through 10 inches of snow about 150 feet to my garage.

I used altimax arctics all winter and I have to tell you, I was amazed how this car handles in the blizzards we had. I was even able to push through 10 inches of snow about 150 feet to my garage.
    I had the same on my WRX. Great tires for winter! They like to 'lane float' a bit at freeway speeds on dry pavement, but it was worth it.

I bought myself a Forcewerkz polyurethane lip. I'm not sure how others install but mine had self-tapping screws and 4 bolts. I ended up using some of the screws and adding additional bolts because the screws didn't hold well. So I used some existing holes in the bumper/lip and drilled some of my own.

I wasn't too keen on drilling holes initially but I have 2 cracks in my bumper from being dumb and hitting curbs and I bought the lip to act as a reinforcing brace to hold the bumper together. For that it works like a charm. Doesn't hurt that it looks cool too.

I bought mine from a vendor on Amazon because they were cheaper by $25 or so and I had an Amazon gift card. Bonus that this particular vendor shipped the lip in a large rectangular box; I've read that some vendors roll the lip to reduce shipping container size and you have to lay it flat for extended periods to get it to return to the original shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Zataks View Post
    I bought myself a Forcewerkz polyurethane lip. I'm not sure how others install but mine had self-tapping screws and 4 bolts. I ended up using some of the screws and adding additional bolts because the screws didn't hold well. So I used some existing holes in the bumper/lip and drilled some of my own.

I wasn't too keen on drilling holes initially but I have 2 cracks in my bumper from being dumb and hitting curbs and I bought the lip to act as a reinforcing brace to hold the bumper together. For that it works like a charm. Doesn't hurt that it looks cool too.

I bought mine from a vendor on Amazon because they were cheaper by $25 or so and I had an Amazon gift card. Bonus that this particular vendor shipped the lip in a large rectangular box; I've read that some vendors roll the lip to reduce shipping container size and you have to lay it flat for extended periods to get it to return to the original shape.
    I just looked now and all they have are the side skirts. I was looking at JNA performance poly lip kit. Not bad for 99.00. I did read there was another company offering a lip kit for 65 and in the description it stated they ship theirs in large boxes as well

I Support ClubWRX
    Last edited by cflip2x; 04-08-2015 at 08:59 AM.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Cobb Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Pads & Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley | Perrin Cold Air Intake

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX Build

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.