First Impressions WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on First Impressions WRX within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; With ~1,150 miles on the clock, I have started to extend my WRX a bit. Turbo lag does not seem ...

First Impressions WRX

With ~1,150 miles on the clock, I have started to extend my WRX a bit. Turbo lag does not seem to be a big deal. In fact, power delivery seems fairly linear. I have not seen the advertised flat spot above ~6300RPM but I really haven't pushed it above 6000RPM to speak of. The power and delivery seems to be similar to the 2004 350Z roadster that I had. I would state that the power is sufficient (extra points if anyone knows who rated their cars horsepower that way). This is not a 12 second car, like the Firehawk (big point is that the Firehawk produced over 300 pound feet of rear wheel torque from 2000RPM to 5500RPM with peak 350 pound feet at 4800). Proper gear selection is mandatory for performance. The engine does seem fairly smooth and while not Jaguar V8 smooth, it isnít nearly as buzzy as the Z was, especially on top.

I am still exploring the handling and staying well within the limits until I get a better seat of the pants feel for the car approaching its limits. What I have seen, to date, would indicate a fairly neutral demeanor. There doesnít seem to be any tendency to over-steer (@$$ hanging out) or the plow straight ahead of understeer, usually associated with all-wheel-drive. I am thinking that I am still a few thousand miles short of the sweet spot on tire wear for the best handling, anyway. The WRX corners flat, without a lot of lean and does seem to have the on-rails feeling to where I have pushed it so far. I am expecting to need at least 4K miles to even begin to get a full feeling for the car. Sometime after those miles, Iíll have a trip to a nearby track for a track day to be able to more fully explore the vehicle. I am still debating whether Iíll need to buy a helmet to match the color of the car (always did in the past, but I donít think Iíll be tracking this one nearly as much).
    2015 WRX Limited
    2014 Lincoln MKT
    2012 Jaguar XJ
    Bye Bye (Dogs demanded an upgrade)2012 GMC Terrain
    2011 Honda Ridgeline

Proper number for bicycles, kayaks and cars is N+1

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Some thoughts:
    1. Car definitely still understeers at the limit, trust me. STi does the same. Enabling the ATV mitigates this a bit, but the driving dynamic is a little strange.
    2. These stock tires are garbage. They take too long to reach operating temp and then overheat really easily. Towards the end of a 50 second autocross run, the tires have lost most of their traction
    3. I beat my best time last night in an autocross run (2015 STi) with my friend's 2015 WRX. He has Direzza ZIIs, RCE springs, and a rear sway. The tires and rear sway really transform the car -- I'd highly recommend.

I'm glad you're enjoying the car!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

something else forever Germz to Japz's Avatar
    nice write up...

the only thing i gotta comment on is i am still trying to get used to a turbo car (even after 12k miles) but it's a nice system to have in a sports car... it just feels so different for me...

Speak Your Mind & Let Me Know

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Some thoughts:
    1. Car definitely still understeers at the limit, trust me. STi does the same. Enabling the ATV mitigates this a bit, but the driving dynamic is a little strange.
    2. These stock tires are garbage. They take too long to reach operating temp and then overheat really easily. Towards the end of a 50 second autocross run, the tires have lost most of their traction
    3. I beat my best time last night in an autocross run (2015 STi) with my friend's 2015 WRX. He has Direzza ZIIs, RCE springs, and a rear sway. The tires and rear sway really transform the car -- I'd highly recommend.

I'm glad you're enjoying the car!
    I haven't gotten anywhere near the limits for the plow to start. However, it is good to know. I find understeer to be more forgiving in most situations. While it may not be as quick as being able to pivot the car at the apex, you tend scrub off excess speed and live to tell about it.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by borderstates View Post
    I haven't gotten anywhere near the limits for the plow to start. However, it is good to know. I find understeer to be more forgiving in most situations. While it may not be as quick as being able to pivot the car at the apex, you tend scrub off excess speed and live to tell about it.
    Nothing wrong with understeer! Understeer is faster than oversteer! Plow understeer is a different story. To be fair, I was overdriving my tires a bit much on a few runs...

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Oversteer can be so much fun, though...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Tire Rack / CarandDriver did a fairly detailed test on performance tires and the Michelin Pilot Super Sport were rated the best performance tire. I'll probably replace the originals with these when the current set wears out (20K miles?).

Monsters of Grip: Nine Summer-Performance Tires Tested - Comparison Test - Car and Driver
    2015 WRX Limited
    2014 Lincoln MKT
    2012 Jaguar XJ
    2011 Honda Ridgeline

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by borderstates View Post
    Tire Rack / CarandDriver did a fairly detailed test on performance tires and the Michelin Pilot Super Sport were rated the best performance tire. I'll probably replace the originals with these when the current set wears out (20K miles?).

Monsters of Grip: Nine Summer-Performance Tires Tested - Comparison Test - Car and Driver
    And that's fine. I have several acquaintances that are serious racers. Most have recommended the PSS for street duty. However, all said the Hankook R-S3s and Direzza ZII SS were much better on the track.

Facebook me here

Zax,

My days of needing separate sets of racing tires are at least a decade in the past. I don't envision me enrolling in a Bob Bondurant racing school again (Ontario Motor Speedway for my first time) or me ever carrying another regional competition license. I've been there, done that, have some trophies and the nomex suit that doesn't fit me anymore. Besides, getting in and out of full caged vehicles is a pain in my older @$$ that I can live without. I have always admired Paul Newman's ability to be very fast into his seventies. I'm not that far along, but I was never all that fast. I still like the occasional track day but that is enough for me now. If I were to consider going to another level, I would probably do it in a shifter kart. Costs are considerably less than campaigning a Lotus Europa and / or a Saab Sonnet III (factory cages were perfect for Solo I) or the TR-8 which was a handful (live rear axle and a V8 up front makes for interesting dynamics). To quote Clint Eastwood, A man's gots to know his limitations.
    Last edited by borderstates; 04-07-2015 at 02:24 PM.
    2015 WRX Limited
    2014 Lincoln MKT
    2012 Jaguar XJ
    2011 Honda Ridgeline

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.