Subaru WRX Forum banner

how good a passer is the new wrx?

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  FailWheelDrive 
#1 ·
I currently drive a regular imprezza with the 2.0 engine (had to loan my Regal GS to my daughter for a while.) I am imprezzed with how it revs up and gets going when passing another car. So I know the turbocharged version in the wrx must be awesome compared to this......right?? I am not able to compare such capability though. No one gives 40-70 passing times (in an optimal gear) or 50-80 times (in an optimal gear.) I can find top-gear times but this is not realistic. What I really want is a comparison between my supercharged Regal GS and the new WRX as to how the two go around a car (or 2) on a two lane road. I find this to be the most useful use of power from a car. I don't care about 0-60 times or 1/4 mile or top speed; not useful driving back and forth to work. Does anyone know such numbers or is anyone able to compare (from experience) with a 2003 supercharged Buick for how the new wrx passes???? Thanks. J

#4 ·
I currently drive a regular imprezza with the 2.0 engine (had to loan my Regal GS to my daughter for a while.) I am imprezzed with how it revs up and gets going when passing another car. So I know the turbocharged version in the wrx must be awesome compared to this......right?? I am not able to compare such capability though. No one gives 40-70 passing times (in an optimal gear) or 50-80 times (in an optimal gear.) I can find top-gear times but this is not realistic. What I really want is a comparison between my supercharged Regal GS and the new WRX as to how the two go around a car (or 2) on a two lane road. I find this to be the most useful use of power from a car. I don't care about 0-60 times or 1/4 mile or top speed; not useful driving back and forth to work. Does anyone know such numbers or is anyone able to compare (from experience) with a 2003 supercharged Buick for how the new wrx passes???? Thanks. J
+1 for the pun lol :)

ok so the wrx's are pretty quick to "pass" other cars... depends on the speed of course though... but also there are at times major turbo-lag so that could be a turn-off for some...

with that said... if your goal is "passing" time, assuming in a straight line, then I would go with a 2013/2014 wrx since they are newer AND have longer gear ratios than the 2013/2014 sti's or the new 2015 models...

good luck and have fun! :D

#5 ·
+1 for the pun lol :)

ok so the wrx's are pretty quick to "pass" other cars... depends on the speed of course though... but also there are at times major turbo-lag so that could be a turn-off for some...

with that said... if your goal is "passing" time, assuming in a straight line, then I would go with a 2013/2014 wrx since they are newer AND have longer gear ratios than the 2013/2014 sti's or the new 2015 models...

good luck and have fun! :D
With all due respect I have to disagree with that bolded part there. It seems the OP wasn't looking for speed tests at a high RPM but rather real world driving and passing in which most people are going to be at the low to mid range of the RPM band (2-4500 RPM). In this case, I'd have to go with the FA20DIT in the 2015 WRX. The twin scroll is ridiculously fast at this range with very minimal lag. I've sat in an '12 STi plenty of times and yes, at the top range the 15 WRX gets quite flat but for "regular driving" very quick.

So to answer the question OP, I wouldn't even say the regular Impreza is that impressive of a "passer" so if you think it is, the WRX may surprise you.

#8 ·
My 12 Si with 201hp barely made the cut in helping me feel like I could do a decent pass. The 15 WRX is great, has spunk like rolling on the throttle of a motorcycle. MY old 10 Civic EXL was worthless with it's 140hp. Literally could floor that car on a hill and not gain speed. I currently have zero desire for more speed when it comes to my daily drive.

I fully understand your need after living in Oklahoma for so many years.

#9 ·
Turbo lag shouldn't be a problem in a 'passing' scenario as all one needs to do is down shift into the sweet spot. For example, doing 50 MPH in 5th gear in a 3rd gen WRX you should be hovering right around 2000 RPM. If you want to overtake quickly (like on a mountain road where passing zones are short), dropping into 4th will get you to roughly 2700 rpm, which will give you a bit of lag, but dropping down to 3rd will put you right into boost.

Another scenario is on-ramps. When I enter the highway doing 30 in 3rd gear I don't bother down shifting. Once I smoothly get it to 3K rpm (basically the time it takes me to make sure I'm clear) I can just gun it... and I'm doing 80 in about the time it takes me to smoothly shift across three lanes.

So... to the OP. Look at it this way, both gen3 (ej20) and gen4 (fb20) 2.0 engines produce 148 hp at the crank. The gen3 and gen4 WRX come with 263/265 hp at the crank. That is in the ballpark of 45% more power at the crank.

So... if you think the 2.0 impreza is good at over taking, then add roughly 45% more excitement and you will be even more imprezzed.

#11 ·
Thanks all. I do plan on looking at new WRXs in the Fall. I just had never driven a turbocharged car and ,yes, was wondering how the WRX is at passing slowpokes in real-work driving. (My Regal GS really hauls and does a good job at this and I miss it with anything less.) I would definitely get the manual and that is the jist of my note about "top-gear" times -- no one would actually use top-gear to pass when starting at 40 or 50 mph. Thanks again; sounds like I will be equally (or hopefully more so) happy with the passing prowess of a WRX as my Buick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.