Subaru WRX Forum banner

2015 STI Price Negotiation

7K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  alllvin01 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I've been just reading threads and dreaming about STI and finally I can afford one now.
So I've heard that the price for WRX and STI are hard to negotiate with. But still I thought that some of you might have some idea or suggestion.
I live in SF Bay Area CA. Share your tactics and strategy!

Thanks

#4 ·
there is not much you can do because of the demand for the 15's. since you want a sti, it becomes even harder to find wiggle room on their price. on the flip side you will find these cars hold their value. google car buying strategies and give one a whirl and see what happens. there is no harm in trying. i tried several times to talk the price down on my 12' wrx because of some scrapes on the front bumper but at the end of the day they knew there for only a handful of limited hatchbacks out there for sale and i would pay the sticker or they would find someone else who wants it the next day.

#5 ·
Share your tactics and strategy!
Welcome! The best advice I can give is spend some time on the Subaru website. Explore which model and options you would like installed on the STI. Than consult the following link 2015 WRX and STI Prices. Add up the dealer invoice price and shoot for that number!

Good luck!!!

#6 ·
Maybe in other parts of the country STIs are selling like crazy but here in New England there are plenty of them on dealer lots. Now the base WRX, that's a different story. However, I was able to use TrueCar.com and easily got a 2015 WRX for under invoice from a local volume dealer. I think it helped that I was willing to order one and wait several months if necessary.

#7 ·
There's no "tricks" special to the car...if the dealer doesn't have them sitting in their lot, don't expect them to really worry that much about selling you one. They have more than enough demand that they can turn you down and sell to the next buyer for $XXX more.

#8 ·
Exactly. If it isn't on their lot the only way to work the price down is to try and get multiple lots in negotiation for your car. Some areas are more willing, some areas less willing. Like AMG said, just start trying things. Try something, see if it works, and if it doesn't walk out and come next week.

#11 ·
I just bought a 2015 WRX (base) this week for $1,800 under MSRP. There are three dealerships in Columbus OH. Two of them would not budge on the price. The third wanted to sell a car, so they negotiated. Hell, they even did a dealer trade to get me a preferred color. I ended up with a 2015 WRX base with a short shift package (MSRP of $27,700) for $25,900. They even matched Carmax's reasonable appraisal for our trade-in.

Six months ago, nobody was budging on the price. The climate for buying is different now, but some dealers haven't realized that yet. Six months ago, you couldn't find one sitting on the lot. Now, every dealer in town has 2-5 on their property. Find a dealer who understands that the new model introduction period is over, and is willing to deal. I imagine the same is true for an STi as well, just from doing some poking around on autotrader.

#12 ·
Exactly what you're doing. Play dealers against each other. First dealer told me $250 below MSRP. Had another give me a quote for $200 below invoice. Showed the first dealer, asked me to show him the quote and then matched it. This is probably the right time of year to negotiate but I guess it depends on where you live and what they have a demand for.

#13 ·
Hi all, new to forum because I'm looking to buy a WRX as my next car. I saw this thread and want to ask a generic question - when most folks talk of a purchase price do they mean that price PLUS all tax and delivery fees and such? Or is that purchase price the "out-the-door" price? I have always dealt with "out-the-door" price when talking about car purchases but am not sure how most people mean it? So for 'Thrustin' who paid $1800 under MSPR, did you pay tax, delivery charge, etc. on top of that? Thanks, J

#15 ·
Yes purchase price plus tax, tags and processing fee. My tax was based off of sales price minus trade in. Then $299 processing fee, $44 tag transfer and $47 local county tax. So it really depends on where you live, if you have a trade, what the dealer charges for "processing fee" etc...

#14 ·
When I stated that the selling price of the car was $1,800 less than MSRP I did not include tax, destination, etc. I paid $25,900 for a base WRX (w/short shift package), plus tax, title, lot fee, etc.

There are a few variables that go into the out-the-door price that are specific to the buyer's trade-in situation, geographic location and if the buyer chooses any warranties, etc. For instance, in Ohio the value of the trade-in affects the tax paid on the new vehicle. I wouldn't imagine that my specific out-the-door cost would be all that useful to most reading this, particularly those outside of Ohio.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.