2015 WRX CBS Soft Cloth Car wash Safe?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX CBS Soft Cloth Car wash Safe? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I just got a 2015 WRX and went to the car wash yesterday and the attendant told me ...

2015 WRX CBS Soft Cloth Car wash Safe?

Hey guys, I just got a 2015 WRX and went to the car wash yesterday and the attendant told me that they had a new Black Jeep go through the car wash and it messed up the paint and wanted to let me know to check with Subaru to make sure the paint can handle it and will not show marks on the paint that need to get buffed out later.

I have never had a problem with my previous cars for the last year at this wash but since this is my fist suby I thought I would ask other owners if they had any advise. I will call SOA just to make sure, but the Attendant told me that it had to do with car manufactures using cheaper paint on their new cars... She told me this has only happened to a new Jeep and this has never happened with any other cars in the last 8 years she worked there so if this is not the case with my car to let her know so she can not bother other suby guys

Bucky's Car Wash-Our Services

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I wouldn't do anything other then hand washing myself. How clean do you really think those brushes are?
    Plus how soft subaru paint is
    Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    All car washes other than touch free ones will leave micro swirls in the clearcoat due to microscopic minerals and what not on the cloth that is used to wash the car with. These contaminants are usually picked up from other cars. Did they elaborate as to how it screwed up the paint on the Jeep? I generally satay away from car washes unless they are touchless. However, since I live in Ohio sometimes I suck it up and go through automated car washes. It just ends up being more work the next time you do paint correction or when you wax the car.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

it was swirls on the paint for the Jeep, they were able to get them buffed out and waxed but I have been going there for a year now and I have a 2014 Hyundai Elantra and just traded my 2014 Corolla and had no problems at all with the paint on both of those cars.

I live in an apartment and hand washing it really out of the question due to my busy life Style.... This is a Subrau and not a 50,000 dollar car so it seems weird to me that there would be an issue but this is my first Suby which is why I am asking... I guess I will be the Ginny pig in this situation... I think I would rather have a clean car with swirls then a car covered in all the chemicals they throw down on the roads in the winter time here

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    I generally stay away from car washes unless they are touchless.
    This. I would even stay away from automated touchless washes. One of my buddies had his side mirrors ripped off by the sprayers.

Also, do a little searching about Subaru's soft paint. They are NOTORIOUS for soft paint. When I bought my '14 Forester, my sales guy actually told me about the paint and to stay away from commercial carwashes (touchless or not). Even the soap/wax from the wands can be harsh to new paint.
    “Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.” - David Rains Wallace

2015 WRX - Crystal White Pearl
    2014 Forester 2.5i Premium - Dark Grey Metallic

Subaru swirls will not simply buff out. Most times that is. It will require a few stages to correct it. Darker colors show a lot more then silver or white though but under the right light it'll show right through
    Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    "Soft cloth" in name only. I'd imagine wiping your butt with one of those dangling scrubby fingers would be unpleasant.

Self hand wash or nothing. "Touchless" high pressure spay if nothing else is available.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh Hellllzzzz No dont be so kray kray lol.

You have a new car take care of it.

Like stated above "soft touch" sounds like a gimmicky name for brushless. I would bet they don't rinse off the "soft touch" material after every wash. The dirt and grit gets stuck to it from all the cars before and will be like "sand paper" to your car.

I might consider touchless but that's just a power wash for the most part.

If you must wash it in the winter which everyone should try to find a self carwash booth.

Last edited by cflip2x; 12-22-2014 at 05:04 PM.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Self service.....and an air compressor. Never have to touch the car
    Stinkeye member 520

I wouldn't trust anything but hand wash, no brush or automated car wash, they ruin paint jobs.

I looked at my car in the dealership and it got swirls. Hand wash with a low pressure spray gave it more swirls. You need to be really careful if you wish to avoid them. I have harsh winters and a 5 year old so I never expected my car to stay mint for long, but if I had then I would be pretty upset by now. As it is, clean with swirls is better than a thick cake of winter sludge so I'm content with swirly bay washes.

Yea I have looked into this a lot and EVERYONE says to not do the Auto wash but here is my thing... the paint is soft and will show swirls... I cant baby my car the way I would like to since I live in an apartment and I live a busy life... I plan to keep this car for maybe 3 years maybe less and get an STI once they build a new engine in it... So I am not going to worry about it that much. I would rather get off all the Nasty Sludge and Chemicals they put on the Colorado Roads here and have a clean car then a dirty one with no Swirls...

I think it sucks that Suby uses soft paint because My wifes Cheap Elantra and even my Corolla both never showed swirls... Oh well.. I did not buy the car for the Paint... I bought it for its Fun Factor

I will have to post some pictures as the year goes by so I can document the Swirls.. Thanks for all your advise guys!

I Support ClubWRX
    The swirls can be removed. Wait for spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason2015WRX View Post
    I would rather get off all the Nasty Sludge and Chemicals they put on the Colorado Roads here and have a clean car then a dirty one with no Swirls...
    Claybar once or twice a year to keep the crud off.

I think it sucks that Suby uses soft paint
    We all do.

I bought it for its Fun Factor
    We all do.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.