Subaru WRX Forum banner

Looking at buying a 15 WRX

3K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  NJboneless 
#1 ·
So I am looking at buying a 15 WRX in the near future. I just visited the local subaru dealer last weekend with my Dad, to take a look at one (first one they had on the lot for about 4 months). Unfortunately they were very strict on taking it for test drives, so they didnt even let us take it for a quick drive. lol

So anyway, I have a few questions about them.

1. I am looking at the Premiums. After sales tax (5%), I will be looking basically right under the 30000 mark. But the limited would put me at about $32000. I need to draw the line somewhere, but is the extras on the limited (leather is a big one I guess) worth the $$?

2. Since my dealer only had a silver, and wont be getting anymore WRXs in until January, whats colors should I look at? (as far as showing scratches, dirt, maintenance etc)? Does color affect resale at all?

3. I should have asked the salesman when I was there, but didnt think of it at the time...If I ordered new through my dealer and "built my own", would I be paying the $800 delivery fee?

4. About the extras, are they worth getting or are you better installing stuff yourself? Here are the accessories that I was looking at: Short throw, Extended arm rest, and maybe the front lip.... I did want the keyless/remote start, but that only comes with the limited, and I have no idea how much extra it costs? Anyone know what it costs?

I am not definitely decided on a WRX (been looking at the standard imprezas too, but once again, they didnt have any to look at at the dealer). A WRX would fill my needs pretty well, and even my Dad was pretty impressed with them.

I would like to purchase a car earlier next year, as I am saving to have a substantial deposit. This is how the salesman said to handle a loan if I got one:

I would be looking at a 40%-50% deposit from the start (this should help get my interest rate lower).
Take out a loan for the remaining amount, under my name, and get my Dad to co-sign (as I have no credit yet) which might also help get a lower interest rate. (I am 18, with a full time job).

Does that sound like the best way to go about it?

Any input or advice would be appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll provide you with some answers....

Unfortunately they were very strict on taking it for test drives, so they didnt even let us take it for a quick drive. lol Are you young? That would be the only reason they wouldn't let you test drive it. Have your dad go back by himself to test drive it or find a different dealer.

1. I am looking at the Premiums. After sales tax (5%), I will be looking basically right under the 30000 mark. But the limited would put me at about $32000This is what you should plan to pay for a premium. I have a base model with no dealer installed accessories and it was $29,6 out the door.. I need to draw the line somewhere, but is the extras on the limited (leather is a big one I guess) worth the $$? That's personal preference. For me, the base model did it. I wasn't interested in heated seats or a moon roof. The only accessory I added was the auto-dimming rear-view.

2. Since my dealer only had a silver, and wont be getting anymore WRXs in until January, whats colors should I look at? White is your best bet for not showing scratches/dirt. I have a 2014 forester in dark grey metallic and it shows every scratch and dirt mark. (as far as showing scratches, dirt, maintenance etc)? Does color affect resale at all? Yes and no. Subaru makes more cars in certain colors based off of demand. There's really no way to tell if any of the '15 colors will be rarer than another because they're so new.

3. I should have asked the salesman when I was there, but didnt think of it at the time...If I ordered new through my dealer and "built my own", would I be paying the $800 delivery fee? Yes, unless you plan on flying to Japan and picking her up off of the assembly line

4. About the extras, are they worth getting or are you better installing stuff yourself? Here are the accessories that I was looking at: Short throwNo, wait for Kartboy, Extended arm restNo, get the JDM one that makes it taller, and maybe the front lipNo, OEM front lip is expensive, save some cash and get one from Bayson.... I did want the keyless/remote start, but that only comes with the limited, and I have no idea how much extra it costs? Anyone know what it costs? $2500, comes with Nav (terrible) and HK speakers

I am not definitely decided on a WRX (been looking at the standard imprezas too, but once again, they didnt have any to look at at the dealer). A WRX would fill my needs pretty well, and even my Dad was pretty impressed with them.

I would like to purchase a car earlier next year, as I am saving to have a substantial deposit. This is how the salesman said to handle a loan if I got one:

I would be looking at a 40%-50% deposit from the start (this should help get my interest rate lower).
Take out a loan for the remaining amount, under my name, and get my Dad to co-sign (as I have no credit yet) which might also help get a lower interest rate. (I am 18, with a full time job).

Does that sound like the best way to go about it? No, if you want my advice, find a used one first that's a few years old. These are not only expensive cars to purchase but expensive cars to maintain. You have to think about all of the required maintenance and then everything that goes with having a high performance street car. Clutches, tires, brakes, etc. Each part is considerably more expensive than it's Imprezza counterpart. Also, get an insurance quote if you haven't yet. Obviously I don't know you. But judging by your age and this type of car, expect around $300-$350 a month insurance cost.

#3 ·
So I am looking at buying a 15 WRX in the near future. I just visited the local subaru dealer last weekend with my Dad, to take a look at one (first one they had on the lot for about 4 months). Unfortunately they were very strict on taking it for test drives, so they didnt even let us take it for a quick drive. lol

1. I am looking at the Premiums. After sales tax (5%), I will be looking basically right under the 30000 mark. But the limited would put me at about $32000. I need to draw the line somewhere, but is the extras on the limited (leather is a big one I guess) worth the $$? Well, the limited comes with sunroof and it is really a nice feature to have.

2. Since my dealer only had a silver, and wont be getting anymore WRXs in until January, whats colors should I look at? (as far as showing scratches, dirt, maintenance etc)? Does color affect resale at all? I would suggest white or gray/silver. They don't look dirty at all times.

3. I should have asked the salesman when I was there, but didnt think of it at the time...If I ordered new through my dealer and "built my own", would I be paying the $800 delivery fee? Yes you will be paying the delivery fee, but you can negotiate the better price.

4. About the extras, are they worth getting or are you better installing stuff yourself? Here are the accessories that I was looking at: Short throw, Extended arm rest, and maybe the front lip.... I did want the keyless/remote start, but that only comes with the limited, and I have no idea how much extra it costs? Anyone know what it costs?
In my opinion sts is much better if you buy kartboy set and install it your self. The keyless start for wrx is around $1,500. I like it but it is not the must, if you shaving the price. The front lip is just one more thing to cuddle your driveway and parking bumpers.

Does that sound like the best way to go about it?

I would suggest buying impreza as it is less aggressive and more flexible car for young drivers.
Regarding credit application, my suggestion is that your dad buys it and you be the cosigner. This way you will get better rate and less insurance if you put your name on some cheaper car that your parents have. You will still drive this car of course.
Never the less, both cars are an excellent choice. One is $10k less.

#4 ·
NJboneless are you from NJ? PM me I should be able to help you out big time. I can set up your test drive, figure out all your numbers etc. I can also save you at least $500, probably more.

#6 ·
Keep in mind you can't get things like heated mirrors and wiper fluid in a WRX.
The WRX premium actually has heated windshield, seats, and mirrors. The wiper fluid is never heated in Subarus, instead, there is a heat element inside the windshield under the wiper blades.

#7 ·
The jump from Premium to Limited is only like $1,200 and in payment terms that's not a lot of a difference. I was on the fence about this too and I am going to get the leather, In terms of the extra $2,500 for push button and Nav... I am going to skip on that for sure...

Im surprised they did not let you drive it if you were thinking of buying it, Normally that's how they get you :) its on the test drive... Like other have said here you may find the Impreza fully loaded better to fit your needs as you sound like your younger and it might make better sense for you being young but I have no idea your financial picture so take my opinion with a grain of salt :) The WRX is awesome and once I test drove it I wanted it. Good Luck!

#8 ·
White gets dirty pretty quickly in my opinion in poor winter months (if you have those). We have a silver Forester which takes weeks to get to the point where my wife makes a comment. And even then, she doesn't care about cleaning it. On the other hand, my Galaxy Blue WRX gets dirty from the car wash to home at this time of the year and she laughs at that :(

Guys, I don't recall the OP asking if he should be buying a WRX or not from either a financial or experience viewpoint. He sounds like he knows what he wants and can afford it, and is therefore just here looking for advice on aspects of the car itself.

Once you have chosen your model and colour, offer a fully-returnable deposit to secure the car when it comes in and also make it conditional on a test drive (this shows you are serious). Maybe show up in a manual car if you can and offer to demonstrate that you are able to drive it respectfully. That's a big fear for dealership, not just teenagers but anyone showing up to test drive a manual car in North America.

#10 ·
^
I was looking at this dilemma from a point of the dad who is having a fresh driver in the family. My opinion is based straight on driving safety and experience that we all need to have to drive wrx as this car doesn't forget mistakes. Insurance will be a killer on this kind of the car and a young person dedicated driver on it.
OP sounds like responsible young man, but keep in mind that there is always a bias on young drivers doesn't matter how responsible they are. Insurance doesn't care, if you are below the bracket they will charge you by their statistics.
Op, just drive safe and good luck what ever you decide.

#11 ·
Thanks for the input guys!

FYI reason for not giving a test drive was apparently because that particular one was racking up a lot of "test drive" miles. Even the salesman himself wouldnt take us for a quick spin. He was a nice guy though.

Im probably not your typical 18 year old, so dont think boy racer 18 year old trying to get himself a 250hp race car. Like I said, I am considering the Impreza (would be looking at the sportier ones), but right now I am leaning towards the WRX even just for resale value (but you cannot deny it would be a lot more fun to drive a wrx too).

I do have a solid job (especially for my age), so in a nut shell.... I am living with my parents, and have no monetary commitments whatsoever. In other words, paying off the car is not an issue at all. Including insurance, and interest rates. Seriously not an issue. My parents and I are on the same page with all of this, and I would be paying insurance not them. Reason I would buy it instead of my Dad buying it, is so that I could establish a credit score, which will help me down the road (punnnnn). Also on the subject of myself, a teen, owning a WRX (or any other vehicle for that matter), every dollar I spend on a new vehicle has been saved or earned by myself. My parents never bought me a 15K car when I got my license like all my buddies parents did.
So, that might give you a background on how any new car I buy will be treated.

Anyway, now that that is out of the way, as far as car accessories go, it looks to me that I would be best going with a premium or limited, but leaving out any factory accessories. I do really like the aftermarket parts availability with these cars.

rex, I am not from NJ, I live in North Dakota (where we have 8 months of winter and 4 months of roadworks). The username can be a little misleading I guess? lol

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Like I said, I am still trying to get a good idea of what to look out for with these subarus, as I am not planning on buying anything until early next year. But if something does come up before that ;)

Cheers

#16 ·
I have the utmost respect for you buying your own hard earned money.
That says a lot about you my friend. Very few young people today share your work ethic and goal orientation.
Your parents must be very proud. You will have a deep appreciation, and pride in a brand new car. It is one of adult hoods first mile stones.
This is the time in your life where things will start to change, for the better. New doors and opportunities will begin to open.
It's a great time in a young mans life. Just take things slow, and approach everything thing with your eyes open.

#14 ·
You're most likely going to be required to have a cosigner regardless of how stable you are, how good your credit it and all that fun credit bull. I don't know if that is state by state but I bought my first car in Texas and it was required and my girl used me as a cosigner for arizona...so I'm assuming it's required everywhere
So definitely try to get someone (such as your dad) who has great credit for the best rate you can get

#15 · (Edited)
Yep that is what we were thinking. The salesman at subaru said from his experience, having a large down (like 30-50%) will probably bring the interest down a lot just because its less risk for them, plus having someone with good credit (dad) cosign should also help. You are probably right, Im sure I couldnt purchase without a cosigner. I have never even had a credit card.

Thanks!

You guys got any idea how much extra it would cost to insure a premium or limited WRX over a base? Would I be looking at insignificant differences, or a bit more than that?

#18 ·
Well shoot, thanks guys. Working right out of high school has been great, I really enjoy it and it has opened up many doors that would otherwise be shut.

Jason, we will see when the time comes, but I can guarantee you one thing. It will atleast have to be the premium, because of the heated seats. Around here in winter, it gets coooooold and it sucks to not have heated seats lol!

The salesman gave me a call back and said they are expecting 3 more WRXs to come in early this December (2 premiums, 1 limited). I will probably go have a look when they come in, and hopefully we can take one for a test drive this time to get a feel of what they are like.

#22 ·
What a small world huh? I'm from Rochester and I am part of an organization that is a sister store to that particular dealer. I reserved the DGM premium one and instead of driving 16 hours round trip I'm going to have them deliver it to me!

The experience from the local dealer was the same as you got, they only had one and I'm a 24 year old, so they only wanted numbers to talk about first. They didn't want any business and I certainly do not plan on servicing mine there ever.

#23 ·
I'm also looking at buying one in a few months time. I'm having a hard time looking with either the premium or the base model. Never had heated seats before so I don't know how that would feel. Located in in Green Bay, WI so I also have to deal with the snow as well. Let us know which color and trim you pick up.

#26 · (Edited)
The one item on the Limited that pushed me into it was the LED HID's. After having Xenons for the last ten years I just can't go back. I personally spend enough time driving in darker wooded areas where the HID's make a very big difference compared to the Halogens in my girlfriend's CrossTrek. I could care less about leather, I actually would've loved to have heated cloth seats, but the HID's were the selling point for me on the limited.

#27 ·
Hey hope you guys dont get too angry for reviving an old thread but heres an update! Ended up purchasing a 2015 Impreza Sport Limited over a WRX, back in January 2015. Been a great car so far. I have since put in an order for a 2016 Focus RS which should be arriving in the next few months hopefully, but the Impreza has been an excellent vehicle and I have really enjoyed it.

Heres the Impreza:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.