Has the "subaru scene" always been this way, or am I getting old?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Has the "subaru scene" always been this way, or am I getting old? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Let me preface this by saying I fully understand different people want different things out of their cars. Some people ...

Has the "subaru scene" always been this way, or am I getting old?

Let me preface this by saying I fully understand different people want different things out of their cars. Some people want fast, some people want low, some people are audiphiles, some people want something stock with a 100,000 mile extended warranty, and as long as people are into cars, I'm fine with any of the above. However, it seems like recently, the "Subaru Scene" is a lot more like the "honda scene". Sure, there are people (especially on THIS forum) that still see their subarus as performance machines. Squeezing out more horsepower, tightening up their suspension, etc, but It seems recently, especially since the 2015's came out, that I see more and more threads headed toward " Which BOV is going to be the loudest?" " Which intake is going to sound the best?" " Which Exhaust will shoot flames?" etc. It MAY just be me, I'm not sure, but I've had my car for going on 4 years now, and I've never been as pestered by people that know next to nothing about Subarus as I have in recent months. I know we all have to start somewhere, but I just feel like 4 years ago, I had a car with a more "underground" following, and now I have a car that every high schooler wants when they graduate.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would agree. To a point.
    They main issue being, Subaru is slowly becoming more like Honda.
    Now before everybody deletes my friend request let me explain.
    Honda gains a reputation as an affordable customizable cars. This mainly happened because more and more used Hondas became available and affordable to a younger generation. So slowly it became the Ricer.
    Parents buy them for there kids, and the kids do all kinds of foolish things to there cars.
    Flash forward to 2001 Subaru releases the first U.S. WRX. it was quickly adopted, and overnight it was hugely popular. But out of the younger crowds price range. Communities formed alliances formed and clubs like ours were formed. Flash forward to 2014. Now the WRX has been in the US for 13 years. Because over time just like the Hondas Subarus became affordable to a younger crowd. And with these new younger members there becomes a stigma that the WRX has gone ricer.
    Myself, I have reached out to some of these younger members.
    I have learned that yes some carry the ricer mentality, but over all they are more like us than you may think.
    They are car enthusiasts, just like us. And yes most high schoolers want a WRX. I wanted a Honda back in the day. So it is our duty to help guide these younger people in the right direction.
    But it can also be said with the inception of the redesigned 2015, Subaru is now more appealing to more consumers in the market from all ages and walks of life. Its not the underground car of choice, it has become mainstream. So guys remember we all started somewhere. Anywhere 16-60+ year olds can share the common love of a vehicle. And always remember Bob Dylan said it best. The times they are a changing.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

If these "younger" Subie people are able to afford a $30-45k car, more power to them. I have had my share of the "tuner scene" and went to many NOPI events with my cars and had a lot of fun! Take any car, make it your own and enjoy the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    I would agree. To a point.
    They main issue being, Subaru is slowly becoming more like Honda.
    Now before everybody deletes my friend request let me explain.
    Honda gains a reputation as an affordable customizable cars. This mainly happened because more and more used Hondas became available and affordable to a younger generation. So slowly it became the Ricer.
    Parents buy them for there kids, and the kids do all kinds of foolish things to there cars.
    Flash forward to 2001 Subaru releases the first U.S. WRX. it was quickly adopted, and overnight it was hugely popular. But out of the younger crowds price range. Communities formed alliances formed and clubs like ours were formed. Flash forward to 2014. Now the WRX has been in the US for 13 years. Because over time just like the Hondas Subarus became affordable to a younger crowd. And with these new younger members there becomes a stigma that the WRX has gone ricer.
    Myself, I have reached out to some of these younger members.
    I have learned that yes some carry the ricer mentality, but over all they are more like us than you may think.
    They are car enthusiasts, just like us. And yes most high schoolers want a WRX. I wanted a Honda back in the day. So it is our duty to help guide these younger people in the right direction.
    But it can also be said with the inception of the redesigned 2015, Subaru is now more appealing to more consumers in the market from all ages and walks of life. Its not the underground car of choice, it has become mainstream. So guys remember we all started somewhere. Anywhere 16-60+ year olds can share the common love of a vehicle. And always remember Bob Dylan said it best. The times they are a changing.
    I was thinking the same, about how Subaru is just now having enough time to catch on as far as having a tuner that's affordable to younger generations coming on board. I guess my main hope is that like you said, these generations can be swayed gently into being knowledgable car enthusiasts as opposed to the alternative. I'm not saying I never did anything stupid to a car just because I didn't know better, but I mean, for God's sake the other day someone argued me a catch can is more valuable than an AOS on a WRX because the "cheese" oil condensation goes into your engine as vapor and that's why ringlands are failing, lol. Then, in another group, a kid stated he didn't care how much power his car made as long as it threw fireballs between every shift. Someone told him this signified a rich tune and would be unsafe for the engine, and he basically said he didnt care. Which you'd think would be the end, but others were like " yeah i want this to!"

Quote Originally Posted by badwolf13 View Post
    If these "younger" Subie people are able to afford a $30-45k car, more power to them. I have had my share of the "tuner scene" and went to many NOPI events with my cars and had a lot of fun! Take any car, make it your own and enjoy the ride!
    Another valid issue, "kids" whose parents buy them a WRX or STi because word is getting around that they're super "safe" cars, just like Honda, then the first thing the kid wants is a huge box with a 14" sub in the back and an N1 exhaust while he tries to race everything from cavaliers to maseratis.

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Another valid issue, "kids" whose parents buy them a WRX or STi because word is getting around that they're super "safe" cars, just like Honda, then the first thing the kid wants is a huge box with a 14" sub in the back and an N1 exhaust while he tries to race everything from cavaliers to maseratis.[/QUOTE]

This is true.
    Every so often a kid in an 04 WRX pulls up next to me and starts revving his engine.
    I shake my head and take off. I don't advicate speeding or reckless driving but what I will do, is go from 0-45 as fast as possible.
    Other people usually back off then. I honestly think if we nuge the newbies in the right direction, it benefits everyone.
    The kid with the fireballs is hilarious, he's the guy who's car explodes in front of everybody.
    I always give people a chance, sometimes they surprise you.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I think it has to do with the older first gens are now affordable to a lot of people from the Honda scene.
    I hate it
    Stinkeye member 520

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^exactly what he said. bugeyes are now going for 4-5k (with like, 80 billion miles on them, but whatever)

so a lot of younger kids are ditching the hondas and moving over to subarus.

i think the car scene in general has kind of gone to **** though. i've mostly stopped going to all the meets i used to. i'd go every single week for years but now i go maybe once a month or once every 2 months

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

This is true.
    Every so often a kid in an 04 WRX pulls up next to me and starts revving his engine.
    I shake my head and take off. I don't advicate speeding or reckless driving but what I will do, is go from 0-45 as fast as possible.
    Other people usually back off then. I honestly think if we nuge the newbies in the right direction, it benefits everyone.
    The kid with the fireballs is hilarious, he's the guy who's car explodes in front of everybody.
    I always give people a chance, sometimes they surprise you.[/QUOTE]

I agree! "Street Racing" is like sleeping with your sister; you can do it, but you're a moron if you do.

I would agree with you folks as well. I am no young buck, and no stranger to performance cars. For me, one big frustration is the lack of effort to research. Daily, I see posts where the person obviously has no clue what they are doing, or direction/vision for their "build". I shake my head feeling sorry for the car, as it seems inevitable that the little boxer is going to go boom( not acoustically speaking)
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

2015 CWP WRX Premium
    Warranty friendly mods for now-

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    ^exactly what he said. bugeyes are now going for 4-5k (with like, 80 billion miles on them, but whatever)

so a lot of younger kids are ditching the hondas and moving over to subarus.

i think the car scene in general has kind of gone to **** though. i've mostly stopped going to all the meets i used to. i'd go every single week for years but now i go maybe once a month or once every 2 months
    This is exactly it. My car has depreciated significantly in value since I bought it according to NADA and KBB. What was selling for around $10k in my area when I bought mine is now going for around $5k. I was able to afford mine because I brought it back from the dead and ended up spending about $5k car+parts not counting modifications, plus a little sweat. That was a great deal for me especially since my only focus is racing (legally). I care nothing about stopping shows or whatever.

I guess what I'm saying is, I've seen the 02-03 WRX and 04-05 WRX (not STi) depreciate in value significantly since I've owned mine. And to be honest, I understand personal taste, but it does bother me when people ruin these cars or act like "hoons" in them. The same thing happened to the Acura RSX community when I owned mine. It was no longer a sort of a cult following.

Pictures because this is what drew me to the subaru community
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H1tLcxf.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	174570

Quote Originally Posted by irickchad View Post
    Let me preface this by saying I fully understand different people want different things out of their cars. Some people want fast, some people want low, some people are audiphiles, some people want something stock with a 100,000 mile extended warranty, and as long as people are into cars, I'm fine with any of the above. .
    No Donks then?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	donk.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	174578

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar
    As a 17 year old, I can attest to all of the above as well as oppose it. I do see lots of WRXs, especially bugeyes, going for prices teenagers with poor senses of modesty can afford. Then it's straight to ebay to buy the flashiest, cheapest, loudest parts one can come across. I am no different. I have converted my almost 100% stock bugeye into a JDM STi replica with a giant wing, red mudflaps, red engine bay pieces, and gold wheels. But I didn't buy the car for that. I actually always wanted an old A-body Mopar for my first car but restoration costs and impracticality scared me away. That is why I bought my bugeye. It's cheap, good on gas, fun, IMO attractive (now), good in winter, practical, and I have made it my own. Yes my modifications don't exactly portray maturity, but I am okay with that.

The biggest factor is how you drive your car. And I find the biggest influence is who paid for it. If mom and dad bought half of the car or more, it almost always leads to a teenager revving the crap out of their Invidia N1-HKS SSQV BOV-equipped-elderly-upsetting-mobile. Then they drive like an idiot and shame the Subaru community.

Anyways, we aren't all bad. I'm 17 and still make my mistakes and hoon too much when i shouldn't, but I have paid for everything, and an empty wallet and a few points off a license teaches a lot of lessons. Hopefully I haven't contributed too much to the Honda-izing of Subaru.
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

I don't want to believe this is true lol, I just left that crowd. Though I will say, being in the DFW TX area I darn near never see a riced subi, Hondas it's like every day. Maybe it's because I'm in the south, Subarus in general are somewhat a rare sight.

To defend the Honda crowd a little, we did and do still have some good enthusiasts. We are just over-run by idiots and kids who can easily get an older one used for cheap. My 12 Si was a jewel & you'd never know I dropped 6k into it by looking or listening to it. The people that super / turbo charge are usually legit.

I can't see this crowd ever becoming Honda. These cars are just to expensive to buy and then maintain for a ricer to last very long with one. It's Honda's own curse that they never die even when abused.

I Support ClubWRX
    Gonna happen/does happen to any "econobox" car. As time goes on,older models become affordable. Been in the car scene for over 20 years. Seen it a million times Is what it is. Not to mention these cars have been drooled over since Forza and Gran Torismo were created. Then Ken Block sent them into orbit.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I understand exactly where you're coming from. Keep in mind I am 20. I purchased this car on my own and I am doing everything I can to learn about this car. Coming from a Si and being seen as a ricer just didn't really sit well with me. But being in this community and seeing how passionate everyone is with their car makes it a joy to be apart of. Then seeing a post where someone says they don't have the time to search for the answer?? I just don't understand that.
    2014 DGM Sedan

Stink Eye Mob #228

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.