Subaru WRX Forum banner

Help Diagnosing this Noise

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  McBill 
#1 ·
So just picked up a stock 2013 Subaru WRX Hatchback with 32,xxx miles yesterday. I'm Loving this noise car so far as my daily driver! There is however a noise I just happened to notice today when I was cruising around town with the radio off.

The noise is somewhat of a chirping/squealing sound that seems to happen only off throttle or on deceleration from around 3000-2000 rpms. The car can be in gears 1-4 between those rpms and the noise is present, with the exception of 5th gear where the noise seems to only happen around 2000 rpms. It doesn't matter if I'm going straight or turning. When I get back on the throttle the noise disappears immediately. This noise is only present when I'm in gear, not when I'm idling, not when the car is moving while being neutral or when the clutch pedal is pressed in. It's hard to identify where the specific noise is coming from. I can hear it when I roll down my windows when I'm in 1st or 2nd gear, but eventually wind noise takes over.

Here's a video I recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Dxsl8UPTI

It's a bit faint, but take a listen closely. I put the car in neutral or press clutch pedal in so you can hear the difference from when the car is in gear. You'll really hear the noise persist when I hit the turn signal/switch lanes.
Any have a similar experience? Any thoughts on the matter?

See less See more
#3 ·
No mods

The sound is very light in this video. Is it audible for you at all in the video?

It is a bit louder in person, but still faint in the cabin. I can definitely hear it with the windows down & in first gear (like i said 3000 - 2000 rpms). It's definitely not from the rear, but maybe somewhere underneath or the front.

#5 ·
The noise goes away immediately when I press the clutch pedal in. If you watch the video, every time the revs drop I'm holding in the clutch. I'm still covered under the Subaru factory warranty. It's a 2013 with 32,5xx miles. I'm planning to take it to the dealer Saturday but wanted to see if I could get an idea prior to going in.

#7 ·
This is what it sounds like to me. I've never heard of them making noises under these circumstances though. I would definitely run it buy the dealership and see what they have to say. Whatever it is, it doesn't sound normal. Let us know what they find out.

#8 ·
Throw out bearing would be my guess...I couldn't really hear anything in the vid though.

#9 ·
If you listen closely, you can hear a noise very similar to the TOB noise problem most of us have on cold startups with the clutch fully depressed. Except he only hears his when the clutch is engaged and he is engine braking.

#10 ·
Just updating everyone with what happened so for those that may experience this problem may find a solution in this thread.

So I did notice that this noise would also happen when the engine would rev freely (in neutral or with the clutch pedal pressed down while in gear). I took it to the dealer to be diagnosed and here is what they found.

Being a used car, I'm not sure what the previous owner did, but he probably had changed the downpipe. They found that the heatshield was missing, that there were bolts in that area that were missing and not bolted tightly, and also one of the bolts attached to the midpipe was the incorrect size and sort of hanging out. The noise was coming from the engine bay and was being caused by the vibrations and frequencies of the engine (probably why it was so RPM specific). I was able to get a new shield along with the SPT heatshied and the bolts were replaced and retightened. No more noise at all!

Thank you to everyone for their input and hopefully this thread will help out someone in the future!

#12 ·
Indeed.

OP, I would see if there is a way your dealer can check and see if the map loaded on your ECU is the stock one.

This also means that in the unlikely event you ever have to go in for a warranty claim SOA can deny said claim for evidence of modded parts, even though it wasn't you but the previous owner that modded. This all depends on the dealer though as it is their job to write in the report to SOA if the car shows signs of being modded or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.