2011-2014 WRX vs 2008-2010 STI

This is a discussion on 2011-2014 WRX vs 2008-2010 STI within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone! I'm new to the forums and hopefully will soon be a new Subaru owner and have narrowed my ...

2011-2014 WRX vs 2008-2010 STI

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forums and hopefully will soon be a new Subaru owner and have narrowed my choices down to either a 2011-2014 WRX or 2008-STI STI. The reason between these years is down to price. I'm still having difficulty deciding on which one to pick up as I still am not sure which one would be more appropriate to me so hopefully you guys can steer me in the right direction.

Background story: So just recently my 2005 Honda Accord coupe's transmission decided to give up on me on the way to work. I got some estimates for the repair and with the year and mileage I have on my Accord, it's probably not worth it to repair the transmission. My dad and brother both have Subaru's (BRZ & Outback) so they got me interested in picking one up as well.

What I need: The hatchback is a must as a hobby of mine I am a musician, so I need to pack up drum, guitar, or sound equipment from time to time. The AWD will be great because I commute to Philadelphia from South Jersey for work. Having that traction during the snow storms is a big plus. I want it to be comfortable enough for my wife and we'll be planning for kids in near future so for them as well.

So to compare the WRX and STI in the real world. Since the STI is tuned more for performance, how much harsher is it on the road in comparison to the WRX? I'm talking about road, engine, & exhaust noise and also how much harder the suspension is on the roads? For AWD Snow traction, does the differential in the STI provide any benefit in real world driving vs performance driving? How does the cost of ownership compare (insurance, gas, maintenance, etc..)? I might be covered in the fun to drive/performance department as I own an S2000, but that's only for part of the year. I fear I may regret not purchasing the STI, but I may not want the extra performance if the STI is a lot more uncomfortable than the WRX.

Thoughts and opinions anyone? Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wrx in my opinion. Especially the years you mentioned. Older cars have their issues...spun bearings, broken clutch welds. Then factor in price on maintenence the sti is more expensive, more expensive insurance
    Stinkeye member 520

On the 2008-2010 STi models they don't have the 2011-2014 front bumper, which I personally prefer. I would buy a 2011+ STi, if I were to buy one. I know many people (one being my brother) who own an STi and I don't think the ride, in general, is much different for commuting. The handling/braking is a different story although. I wouldn't say the maintenance cost is a reason not to buy one, my brothers has held up fine and has 60,000 miles. Only interval maintenance done, in which the WRX will also need, but yes it will be somewhat more expensive. That being said, I would buy a 2011-2014 WRX before I bought the 08-10 STi (you might want to stay away from the 08). The STi has it's reasons to buy one, but for a commuter I would buy a WRX. I guess it would depend on how good of a deal I found too, if I were to buy an STi. You can buy a brand new WRX for under $30k, or you can have a potential problem car on your hands buying a used STi. Thats my 2 cents worth, good luck!

I Support ClubWRX
    Maintenance between a WRX and an STI should not be noticeably different, more involved, or more expensive at all.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I wasn't referring to regular maintenance. That will be very small in differences. When parts start going bad that's the difference but otherwise braking is really the part that's going to set them apart
    Stinkeye member 520

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!
    I have a 2013 WRX, and it's a great car.
    There are a few mods I have done to it (check my build thread)
    If I knew how much I was going to put into it mod wise, I would have bought an STI.
    So it really depends on your goals for your car, and your personal preference.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    I've also known people to have no difference in insurance coverage cost between a WRX and STI, and then I have know people to have a huge difference between the two. In terms of insurance, it's so hard to speculate as it's not just the car. It's even more so dependent on the driver, his/her age, race, sex, and driving history. so in that respect, you might want to call your insurance company and see what they say. I do that with bikes all the time. I'll call my agent to see how much a couple different bikes I'm interested in would cost me to insure. They would be able to give you a number that will be pretty darn close to the actual amount it would cost.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    I've also known people to have no difference in insurance coverage cost between a WRX and STI, and then I have know people to have a huge difference between the two. In terms of insurance, it's so hard to speculate as it's not just the car. It's even more so dependent on the driver, his/her age, race, sex, and driving history. so in that respect, you might want to call your insurance company and see what they say. I do that with bikes all the time. I'll call my agent to see how much a couple different bikes I'm interested in would cost me to insure. They would be able to give you a number that will be pretty darn close to the actual amount it would cost.
    Well put, I would do the same. I am 21 years old and own a 14' WRX. I have absolutely no tickets and the cost of insurance is nearly $1200 under my name for every 6 months as opposed to $600 under my father's name. For an STi, it went up to nearly $1500 under my name and $625 under my fathers. It all depends on your insurance and age like you said. I could not EASILY afford the full insurance cost of my WRX yet alone an STi, something the OP might want to look into.
    Last edited by Mitch08WRX; Yesterday at 11:52 AM.

People who own WRX's are going to tell you to buy WRX's. People who own STi's are going to tell you to buy the STi. In the end its up to you. Go drive them both, see if the extra horse power, better braking, 6 speed tranny, better suspension, DCCD, and upgraded interior of the sti is worth it to you. Like they said it all depends on your plans for the car. Not a lot of people need the extra performance, but it is worth it for the price. But is that a price you would want to spend? Insurance is the same, I've had both. I came from an 02 wrx, 09 wrx, 06 sti, 15 brz, 99 rs, back into an 09 STi. So i prefer the extra performance of the STi, because i've already had it. It would be to hard to go backwards, and would cost more then i would want to spend to make a wrx an sti. A wrx should be enough for you coming from a honda though, it is more practical for daily driving. End of rant, goodluck and welcome.
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

Also all model year GR's are prone to the firewall cracking. 08-14 They are all the same body style. Only the late 08 and early 09 wrx's were prone to main bearing failure's. Just because the front bumper is slightly different from and 08-10 sti than an 11-14 should not change your decision. It all depends on whats a better deal. Dealerships act like theses things don't lose their value.
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRty Impreza View Post
    People who own WRX's are going to tell you to buy WRX's. People who own STi's are going to tell you to buy the STi. In the end its up to you. Go drive them both, see if the extra horse power, better braking, 6 speed tranny, better suspension, DCCD, and upgraded interior of the sti is worth it to you. Like they said it all depends on your plans for the car. Not a lot of people need the extra performance, but it is worth it for the price. But is that a price you would want to spend? Insurance is the same, I've had both. I came from an 02 wrx, 09 wrx, 06 sti, 15 brz, 99 rs, back into an 09 STi. So i prefer the extra performance of the STi, because i've already had it. It would be to hard to go backwards, and would cost more then i would want to spend to make a wrx an sti. A wrx should be enough for you coming from a honda though, it is more practical for daily driving. End of rant, goodluck and welcome.
    Based on his original post I think he should buy a WRX (and the newest one he can afford). I own an STi

Also all model year GR's are prone to the firewall cracking. 08-14 They are all the same body style. Only the late 08 and early 09 wrx's were prone to main bearing failure's. Just because the front bumper is slightly different from and 08-10 sti than an 11-14 should not change your decision. It all depends on whats a better deal. Dealerships act like theses things don't lose their value.
    I think the fact that the suspension was significantly upgraded in 2011 should have more of an impact on the decision. I concur that the bumper should be of little relevance.

Isn't this forum about giving people advice? No need to counterdict others buddy, not everybody knows everything and is in your situation hard ass. Anyways, I didn't buy an STi because it did not suit my needs. Im not telling him to get a WRX, he is simply asking for an opinion in which I gave. Off topic, but that's all

Thanks for the advice and opinions so far everyone!

The reason why I'm choosing between 2011-2014 WRX & 2008-2010 STI is simply down to price. Through my research so far, they are priced around the same, but of course the STI having more miles.

I do not have any plans for modifications for either model, so my main concern is real world driving. I think it's going to come down to comfort vs performance, so again thank you everyone so far for your input!